A bit more of your merciful god.

I don't know about that. The many sects and subdivisions of Christianity suggest a great many people have varying interpretations.

Why can't the gods deliver a clear, concise message?

If they are Christians, they may disagree on dogma, but one thing they are in complete agreement on is that Jesus Christ is Lord and He died on a cross to remove our sins.

How is this for clarification Hollie:
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except through me.”

It doesn't get any more direct and to the point than that...

Correspondingly, I am never surprised when non-Christians insist that they know better who is and who is not a Christian than does a Christian.
What is a Christian? Literally, it is someone who follows Christ. The very word "Christian" was coined as an insult that meant "Little Christ". Therefore, anyone who claims to be a Christian had better be acting like Christ. Do not

Think of it this way, two people claim to be Premier League fanatics. One watches every game he can, reads the teams' statistics and watches player interviews. He is happy when his team wins and sad when it loses. The other only watches American football. He knows the names of two teams in the Premier League and can't name any of the players, much less any of their statistics. It's handy to claim he's a fan because he gets invited to parties.

Which one is a Premier League fanatic? Your standard apparently would say that both are fans because they claim to be.

Two men claim to love the same woman. One spends his time with her, watching her and listening to her, learning what she likes and what she doesn't like. He takes her to dinner. He treats her and her family with respect. The other approaches her and says, "Give me a list of rules to follow so I can claim to love you. I will spend every waking moment trying to get around them and will sometimes flagrantly break them, but I will claim that I love you. In addition, I'll spend as little time with you as possible, and don't expect me to show your family any respect".

Which one loves her? Can you honestly say both do because they both claim to do so?

Or in both of these cases would you not say that the actions of the one demonstrate the truth of his claim while the actions of the other demonstrate the falsity of his claim? Thus it is with Christianity. Religion is dead. Religion insists on rules and regulations. A man in love with his wife doesn't need her to tell him not to fool around with another woman because his love and respect for her tells him not to. A man in love with his wife can gain a lot of wisdom from the advice of his father and grandfather on how to treat his wife, but learns the most by paying attention to what she says, what food she orders at a restaurant, what flowers she likes the most.

See, where your ignorance shows is in you believing that Christianity is a religion. It is not. Religion demands a set of rules, complete with punishment for failure to follow them. Religion is coercion. Christianity is a relationship with Christ. He does not demand obedience to a fixed set of rules, He calls us to love Him and be guided by His Spirit, who tells us what God expects from us and when He expects it. He demands that His followers treat others with love, not coercion.

The bottom line is, you do not understand any of that so you cannot possibly look at someone and say they are a Christian just because they claim to be.
I don't make judgements about how Christian someone is or not. Christians are far more concerned about the Christian'ness of Christians than I care to be.

500 years ago people thought those same prophecies described the times they lived in perfectly.

200 years ago people thought those same prophecies described the times they lived in perfectly.

100 years ago people thought those same prophecies described the times they lived in perfectly.

Vague prophecies can be used to describe a great many things
Except nothing about prophesy is vague.
Who thought 500 years ago that we would produce a weapon that was capable of wiping out all life on earth? What is vague about that?
Or Israel becoming a Nation in a day? What is obscure about that statement?
Jews returning to their ancient language. No other displaced people have ever done that. Is the wording vague to you? Did it occur?
What peace treaty with Israel happened 500 years ago? 200 years ago? 100 years ago?
The gospel of Christ preached worldwide. Did they have satellites to fulfill that prophesy 100 years ago? 500 years ago?
What world leader desecrated the New Jewish Temple 500 years ago, or yesterday? Don't they have to build it first?

I don't make judgements about how Christian someone is or not. Christians are far more concerned about the Christian'ness of Christians than I care to be.
Yet you found it significant to drag the differing beliefs of those who call themselves Christian into the discussion.

1 Enoch tells you how tall the nephilim we're.

As usual, your posts are deceptive. Over a period of time the Nephilim were not all the same size. And they also weren't all the same in other ways either. There wasn't a one-size-fits-all.

If they are Christians, they may disagree on dogma, but one thing they are in complete agreement on is that Jesus Christ is Lord and He died on a cross to remove our sins.

How is this for concise Hollie:
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except through me.”

You may be right. That's concise.

There's no reason to accept the validity of the statement, though.

How about this for concise.

I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct of revenge, for which no means are venomous enough, or secret, subterranean and small enough – I call it the one immortal blemish upon the human race.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

If you want to pray for my immediate demise by electrocution - a lightning bolt from the sky, grit your teeth and pray with a vengeance.

As usual, your posts are deceptive. Over a period of time the Nephilim were not all the same size. And they also weren't all the same in other ways either. There wasn't a one-size-fits-all.
So you don't believe Enoch.

How is this for clarification Hollie:

Man tends to layer a bunch of stuff on top of the very simple, very clear message of salvation that Christ gave us.

Yet you found it significant to drag the differing beliefs of those who call themselves Christian into the discussion.
Would you have preferred that be kept a secret?

Christians who call themselves Christian have differing beliefs. That's accurate and factual.

So you don't believe Enoch.

Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't say that. Enoch was writing about one point in time. You are deceptively taking that one point in time and applying it to all time. I'm sure you are able to grasp that changes take place over time, or do you think that nothing ever changes?

You may be right. That's concise.

There's no reason to accept the validity of the statement, though.

How about this for concise.

I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct of revenge, for which no means are venomous enough, or secret, subterranean and small enough – I call it the one immortal blemish upon the human race.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

If you want to pray for my immediate demise by electrocution - a lightning bolt from the sky, grit your teeth and pray with a vengeance.

No need for you to except the validity to understand precision. You'll need to accept the validity to enter Heaven though...

Would you have preferred that be kept a secret?

Christians who call themselves Christian have differing beliefs. That's accurate and factual.
By their fruits you will know them.

Follow Christ? People will know, even if they don't know His name. Pay lip service to the idea but don't actually follow Him? The same.

Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't say that. Enoch was writing about one point in time. You are deceptively taking that one point in time and applying it to all time. I'm sure you are able to grasp that changes take place over time, or do you think that nothing ever changes?
Does the Bible say that they changed over time?

See, where your ignorance shows is in you believing that Christianity is a religion. It is not. Religion demands a set of rules, complete with punishment for failure to follow them. Religion is coercion. Christianity is a relationship with Christ. He does not demand obedience to a fixed set of rules, He calls us to love Him and be guided by His Spirit, who tells us what God expects from us and when He expects it. He demands that His followers treat others with love, not coercion.

The bottom line is, you do not understand any of that so you cannot possibly look at someone and say they are a Christian just because they claim to be.

Amen! I'm glad you brought up that it's a relationship, or a journey, as opposed to mere "religion." And in regard to the second thing you said, Jesus Himself said that merely claiming one is a Christian does not necessarily mean it is true. So she is not only arguing with you, she is arguing with Jesus.

It is deeply disappointing to me that any Christian would say that.
Disappointment or not, my statement stands. The Bible instructed me to seek God--and how to seek Him. It taught me to pray--and how to pray. It taught me what I can expect from God--and what not to expect. I am very happy you--as well as Blues Man apparently--found these 'self-help' instructions elsewhere, but I found them in the Bible, so credit goes where credit is due. The Bible and the Catholic faith dropped me into the lap of God. It did not happen any other way.

Amen! I'm glad you brought up that it's a relationship, or a journey, as opposed to mere "religion." And in regard to the second thing you said, Jesus Himself said that merely claiming one is a Christian does not necessarily mean it is true. So she is not only arguing with you, she is arguing with Jesus.
Do you have scripture where Jesus said that claiming one is a Christian doesn't mean it's true.

I think for many, prayer is little more than asking for favors in exchange for rewards. In short, influence peddling.
God is not a genii and should not be treated as such. Prayer, like anything else, may be done the right way or done incorrectly. However, when one is persistent and attentive, one learns.

Forum List

Back