A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police

Coulda shoulda woulda.
That's right! And now it's maybe going to cost them. A LOT. Banking discriminatory suits usually pay out at or near the maximum. If he wins the suit, the payout will make $99K look like chump change.

They were well within their rights to not deposit a check they couldn't authenticate.
Not true. If it is shown they did so while performing discriminatory practices, what they did was illegal. If it can be shown that this is not how they always do things (which, I promise you, it is not), that is the beginning of a case for discrimination.

His race is irrelevant
In a civil suit, where it can be shown this is not standard practice? No it isn't. Maybe you are not familiar with the thread topic.
The bank admitted they did not follow normal practice.
He was a customer and the person who issued it confirmed it
Worse that can happen is to place a hold until it clears

But to secretly call the police?

To fight charges of racism, the bank can always present examples where they routinely call the cops on white customers

Coulda shoulda woulda.
That's right! And now it's maybe going to cost them. A LOT. Banking discriminatory suits usually pay out at or near the maximum. If he wins the suit, the payout will make $99K look like chump change.

They were well within their rights to not deposit a check they couldn't authenticate.
Not true. If it is shown they did so while performing discriminatory practices, what they did was illegal. If it can be shown that this is not how they always do things (which, I promise you, it is not), that is the beginning of a case for discrimination.

His race is irrelevant
In a civil suit, where it can be shown this is not standard practice? No it isn't. Maybe you are not familiar with the thread topic.
The bank admitted they did not follow normal practice.
He was a customer and the person who issued it confirmed it

But to secretly call the police?

He was a customer

Yes he was, as his $0.52 account balance proves.

and the person who issued it confirmed it

No they didn't.

He wanted $13,000 in cash......immediately.

Why would you call the FBI? He's wasn't robbing the bank, he was trying to deposit money into it.
Suspicion of fraud, DAN.
How would you like your information passed to the FBI or any law enforcement agency on a bogus "suspicion" of something? The banker probably misinterpreted that portion of the law that shields them from reprisal if they report someone under the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) or Supicious Activity Report (SAR), even when they're wrong. That law however does not shield them from liability when engaging in prohibited discriminatory or other prohibited activity.

When someone falsely accuses you of having committed a crime, to the point that the police are called, that's considered defamation per se which is a tort (a civil wrong) as opposed to a violation of a criminal law. That means that in a civil action (lawsuit) that you don't have to prove that you were harmed by the defamation or prove the extent to which you were harmed. Defamation per se presumes damages if the defamation falls into certain categories as this one did, with the false accusation of a crime. The fact that the checks were successfully deposited/cashed at another institution is proof that they weren't fraudulent and that their customer had committed no crimes warranting the police being called with a false accusation of fraudulent activity.

If yuo had ever been treated this way, on more than one occasion, I would hope that you'd be able to see how ridiculous and hollow your excuses are for this abhorrent behavior that is still being meted out against certain members in our society.
For a significant portion of the population, not being white is all the suspicion they need to assume the worse, as this case shows.

And for the record, the people who work at the bank, especially the managers can get things done WHEN THEY WANT TO, oftentimes with a simple phone call.
The bank employee never accused anyone of a crime in the first place, DAN.

THINK!
If no crime was being committed then why did she call the police?
Didn't you read the article?

The detective explained it.

"The problem that the bank is having is that these check(s) appear different then (the company's) payroll checks so their computer system is telling them that they are fraud."
Not a good reason to call the police.

He was a customer

No they didn't.

Like rightwinger said ... They can settle all of this, by proving that they also called police on White customers in similar situations.

The bank is just trying to cover its ass from fraud.
False. They could have taken the checks on deposit and held the funds for a reasonable amount of time. 7 business days would have been more than enough.

If he's not providing information to help them CLEAR the checks, why should they even STATE a date for them to clear.. I've had to get in the middle of my banks and clients overseas to get this resolved.. I was LIED TO by the banks about "when they would clear".. EVEN THO, I was spending hours a day locating WHERE they were cut..

Philips Electronics for example, doesn't even clear international payments internally... And if a bank is LIABLE for VALIDATING transactions that trigger CRIMINAL or terrorist investigations, they should be ALLOWED to explain this their customers... Large and small... And customers should COOPERATE in helping them do so...

You have "no right" to immediate cash with a check.. And if you show up with briefcases of Swiss Francs, expect to get "the treatment" also... The GOVERNMENT has enlisted every small bank branch as an investigator..

You have "no right" to immediate cash with a check..
If you show up at the bank on which the check is drawn and the funds are available you do.

Oh sure.. There's no investigation to be made as to the SOURCE then... But there still could be "suspicious activities between accounts at the same bank... Would take some of the "stupider" money launderers and criminals, but it could happen..

He was a customer

No they didn't.

Like rightwinger said ... They can settle all of this, by proving that they also called police on White customers in similar situations.
Nah, its settled. They made a mistake, but everyone is fine. No harm, no foul.

Oh sure.. There's no investigation to be made as to the SOURCE then... But there still could be "suspicious activities between accounts at the same bank... Would take some of the "stupider" money launderers and criminals, but it could happen..
Why are you all so fucking suspicious of everyone?

Because we've been fucked enough times that we've learned our lesson. I've personally had to sue two people who fucked me. Both lost. Total recovery: over $15,000.

Someone comes in with 52 fucking cents in their inactive bank account with a check for 99G's yea he better be able to prove that check is legit or he ain't getting a dime. I don't give a fuck if he's black white or purple.

Let me ask you this: had this happened to a white guy, do you think it would have made the news?

Last edited:
He was a customer

No they didn't.

Nah, it's not settled. The bank caused big harm, and an even bigger foul. Therefore now the negro will soon be depositing even more $$$ awarded by a court bc of racial discrimination damages, paid out by racism's bank.

Because we've been fucked enough times that we've learned our lesson. I've personally had to sue two people who fucked me. Both lost. Total recovery: over $15,000.

Someone comes in with 52 fucking cents in their inactive bank account with a check for 99G's yea he better be able to prove that check is legit or he ain't getting a dime. I don't give a fuck if he's black white or purple.

That's just it tho, since he's a negro then we all sit here failing to accept that he did EXACTLY prove the checks were legit. Then not only did the bank still deny giving him, a dime, but even far worse ---they still filed a false bank-fraud charge against him!

ROFL

The racism was overt.

Let me ask you this: had this happened to a white guy, do you think it would have made the news?

That's just it. This wouldn't have happened to a White guy. Heck this wouldn't even happen to a lightskinned Black guy.

That's just it tho, since he's a negro then we all sit here failing to accept that he did EXACTLY prove the checks were legit. Then not only did the bank still deny giving him, a dime, but even far worse ---they still filed a false bank-fraud charge against him!

ROFL

The racism was overt.

That's just it. This wouldn't have happened to a White guy. Heck this wouldn't even happen to a lightskinned Black guy.

No he didn't. Nobody claimed he proved the check was legit. They're only crying because the bank didn't turn around and give him 13 grand based off of this odd looking check.

He was a customer

No they didn't.

Nah, it's not settled. The bank caused big harm, and an even bigger foul. Therefore now the negro will soon be depositing even more $$$ awarded by a court bc of racial discrimination damages, paid out by racism's bank.

The bank caused big harm

What's the damage?

ROFL

The racism was overt.

they still filed a false bank-fraud charge against him!

No charges were filed.

Forum List

Back