🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

A case for polygamy

The difference between polygamy and polyamory is a marriage license. Avoid the gov't license and have 2 or more lover/partners.

Polyamory is more popular than you think.
If you mean infidelity or "hooking up / casual sex" then I'm aware of it, I was talking about stable unions or marriages.

Some couples include others or allow either partner to date outside the marriage. It isn't just "hooking up" but dating and looking for a relationship. It is polyamory.
Swinging, polyamory, open marriages, pickup artistry, whatever - I'm not interested.

Given that is basically what Trump is allegedly doing with Melania's approval, why the outrage and intolerance of his lifestyle?

Swinging, open marriages and pickups are all about the sex. Polyamory is about relationships.
So then it's like polygamous marriage, just minus the official recognization.

Your reasoning is lacking logic, but by the same token there is no reason that polygamy should be illegal. It is just one more reason why the government should not be involved in marriage at all.
Actually not, marriage and government are one in the same; marriage is contract law enacted by state lawmakers and administered by state courts.

And polygamy is merely living together, lawful in all 50 states; bigamy is illegal, and appropriately so .

Marriage should be a 5 year contract.

A pagan or rural tradition many years ago was of a handfasting. Mainly in Western Europe, I think.

It could be for A Year and A Day, a Lifetime, or for eternity. The problem is, who gets the kids? (or who is forced to take the kids?)

Marriage should be a 5 year contract.

A pagan or rural tradition many years ago was of a handfasting. Mainly in Western Europe, I think.

It could be for A Year and A Day, a Lifetime, or for eternity. The problem is, who gets the kids? (or who is forced to take the kids?)

Once paternity is determined, the same rules would apply as a divorce.

Hypothetically, if polygamy was legalized, this would mean that the top 1% of of males (e.x. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Mark Zuckerberg) could marry multiple women, and potentially father more children.

This might help to reduce poverty and low education, by encouraging women not to marry "average men", but compete to marry the top 1% of men. (It might also encourage "average men" to become more personally productive, knowing that their wife could leave them for a better option, such as Warren Buffet).

What would be the concerns in regards to this?

(Of course, I don't expect this to actually happen, but hypothetically speaking...)
Polygamy leads to the exploitation of women, and invariably to pedophilia.

I know a lot of polyamorous couples. Most of the ones over 40 are either bisexual women and a man or are a woman with more than one man.
Polyamory is different from legalized polygamy. Apples and oranges.

The only difference is the marriage license. Fewer people are getting married now. Apparently people can live a good life without a gov't license or gov't approval of their relationship.

That's why I never got married. I never wanted any children to pass down the name, so why bother. I just can't see it.

"Honey, I love you, and you love me, and we have this fantastic relationship. The only way it can get better is if we get government involved."

I just don't know why people get married in the first place unless they are going to start a family.

Hypothetically, if polygamy was legalized, this would mean that the top 1% of of males (e.x. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Mark Zuckerberg) could marry multiple women, and potentially father more children.

This might help to reduce poverty and low education, by encouraging women not to marry "average men", but compete to marry the top 1% of men. (It might also encourage "average men" to become more personally productive, knowing that their wife could leave them for a better option, such as Warren Buffet).

(Of course, I don't expect this to actually happen, but hypothetically speaking...)

I know a lot of polyamorous couples. Most of the ones over 40 are either bisexual women and a man or are a woman with more than one man.

The only difference is the marriage license. Fewer people are getting married now. Apparently people can live a good life without a gov't license or gov't approval of their relationship.

That's why I never got married. I never wanted any children to pass down the name, so why bother. I just can't see it.

"Honey, I love you, and you love me, and we have this fantastic relationship. The only way it can get better is if we get government involved."

I just don't know why people get married in the first place unless they are going to start a family.
I'm curious how many people have a formal ceremony but neglect to have the marriage license made official.

(Or vice versa, how many people get legally married by the state, but skip on the formal ceremony).

I'm curious how many people have a formal ceremony but neglect to have the marriage license made official.

(Or vice versa, how many people get legally married by the state, but skip on the formal ceremony).

I don't understand the question. I thought you had to get a marriage license in order to get married.

Your reasoning is lacking logic, but by the same token there is no reason that polygamy should be illegal. It is just one more reason why the government should not be involved in marriage at all.
Actually not, marriage and government are one in the same; marriage is contract law enacted by state lawmakers and administered by state courts.

And polygamy is merely living together, lawful in all 50 states; bigamy is illegal, and appropriately so .
Bigamy means having two wives. Polygamy means having two or more. That's the only difference.

It's also much less of a threat to their own financial security. No golden cord for the woman to pull, and collect her cash, and prizes. The days of the game show marriage are nearing their end.

I don't understand the question. I thought you had to get a marriage license in order to get married.

Nope. There's a thing called "common law" marriage.

If you do not make the license official, there is no civil marriage.

I know a lot of people that just did the court house or JP thing and never had a ceremony.

My wife and I got married in February and had our wedding in July.

It's also much less of a threat to their own financial security. No golden cord for the woman to pull, and collect her cash, and prizes. The days of the game show marriage are nearing their end.
Marriage is for women. Men don't benefit in any way from the institution. More and more men are learning that lesson.

We are not a polygamous society. Not even close.

A handful of anecdotes about polyamorus throuples, or whatever, does not make a polygamous society.

Every polygamous society devolves into pedophilia. Every last one.

Nope. There's a thing called "common law" marriage.

only in less than a dozen states and a some of them have a cut off date of when you started living together in the 90s.

Marriage is for women. Men don't benefit in any way from the institution. More and more men are learning that lesson.
Non sequitur - it's a relationship, and given that many "successful men" are married, and consider the relationship or union an "end in and of itself", not a means to an end, I'd beg to differ.

If you're talking about marriage legislation, that's something different entirely than the actual relationship. Please explain your logic.

This is as ignorant as it is ridiculous.

Again, the thread premise is confusing polygamy with bigamy – the former is legal in all 50 states, the latter is not, and for good reason.

We are not a polygamous society. Not even close.

A handful of anecdotes about polyamourus throuples, or whatever, does not make a polygamous society.

Every polygamous society devolves into pedophilia. Every last one.

The Jews were into pedophilia? They were a polygamous society in biblical times.

Forum List

Back