A chance to rework US history to a more equitable understanding.

Re working history means telling the truth. White america cant handle the truth. It would cause confusion and heighten the inferiority complex they already have.
what truth are we getting wrong??
Literally everything. Whites seem to lie to make themselves feel like they are better. This goes double for american whites.

The new national holiday has caused a lot of discussion about American history. July 4th seems to be a divisive date. Not least because "Independence Day" was anything but for many Americans.

Perhaps now is the time to re-evaluate the past and seek a consensus about what it means to be American.

The values and aspirations of the constitution cannot be faulted but the application fell well short for at least a couple of centuries. Is it not time to divide American history into two distinct segments. If you like an "Old Testament" and a "New Testament" .

So the New Testament would start from a time where the nation started to reflect the principles of its founders. You could argue for several different dates here. Juneteenth would have its supporters and deserves to be recognised as a hugely important date in the nations story.

But perhaps that would be a little premature. The struggle still continued. What about the passing of the Civil Rights Act in 1964. Possibly a more credible start date for the nation and a substantial step forward to that "all men created equal" stuff.

What about 2008 when President Obama was elected? Truly an amazing moment for the country and an inspiration to millions across the planet, and Alabama.

So everything before 64/08 would be bad "old testament" America where the constitution was basically a lying sham of a document. And after 64/08 would be "New testament" America where the constitution takes life and the country starts to live up to its founders aspirations. Every American can then share in the triumphs and defeats of the country from that date onwards.

Or perhaps you could suggest a different date ? What say you America ?
how do you 'REWORK" history???
It is how you present it. "Independence Day" was anything but that for large numbers of Americans. Why persist with something so divisive. The past drags you down.

Why not show some honesty so that you can move forward ?

Re working history means telling the truth. White america cant handle the truth. It would cause confusion and heighten the inferiority complex they already have.
Literally everything. Whites seem to lie to make themselves feel like they are better. This goes double for american whites.
thats racist,,,

He is the single biggest Racist on this Board.

thats racist,,,
How is it racist to point out that your white ancestors lied to you to make you feel better and you dont want to hear the facts?

The new national holiday has caused a lot of discussion about American history. July 4th seems to be a divisive date. Not least because "Independence Day" was anything but for many Americans.

Perhaps now is the time to re-evaluate the past and seek a consensus about what it means to be American.

The values and aspirations of the constitution cannot be faulted but the application fell well short for at least a couple of centuries. Is it not time to divide American history into two distinct segments. If you like an "Old Testament" and a "New Testament" .

So the New Testament would start from a time where the nation started to reflect the principles of its founders. You could argue for several different dates here. Juneteenth would have its supporters and deserves to be recognised as a hugely important date in the nations story.

But perhaps that would be a little premature. The struggle still continued. What about the passing of the Civil Rights Act in 1964. Possibly a more credible start date for the nation and a substantial step forward to that "all men created equal" stuff.

What about 2008 when President Obama was elected? Truly an amazing moment for the country and an inspiration to millions across the planet, and Alabama.

So everything before 64/08 would be bad "old testament" America where the constitution was basically a lying sham of a document. And after 64/08 would be "New testament" America where the constitution takes life and the country starts to live up to its founders aspirations. Every American can then share in the triumphs and defeats of the country from that date onwards.

It is how you present it. "Independence Day" was anything but that for large numbers of Americans. Why persist with something so divisive. The past drags you down.

of course the people we kicked out would think that independence day is offensive,,,

Honesty as defined by you, nobody is interested. The entire Nation was freed from despotic British rule and THAT'S why you want it "rewritten".

thats racist,,,
How is it racist to point out that your white ancestors lied to you to make you feel better and you dont want to hear the facts?
your mistaken that only white americans wrote history,, and yes you are a racist,,

Genuine history is context and fact taken together. Given the world out of which the U.S. emerged, its concepts of government were radically liberal and liberating. Naturally, there were many who took advantage of this at the expense of others. Naturally, not everyone advanced at the same rate. Honesty dictates, nonetheless, that the real human benefits be recognized. Life was hard for the majority of people. The majority worked hard to exist. Poor men, women and minorities all took a back seat to the rich and powerful, just as in every other country. Yet, unlike almost every other nation, progress was made until everyone's lot improved and mistakes of the past were more and more corrected. Looking at what was accomplished in comparison with the rest of the world, America looks pretty good. It paid a heavy price for the involvement in slavery that it inherited from previous eons, but managed to survive and continue incremental improvement while many other areas of the world went nowhere, or even slid backward.
Nevertheless, the principles in your bill of rights were just aspirational. And were for a long time. Why not recognise the date when they became reality ? Something that all Americans can celebrate.

Honesty as defined by you, nobody is interested. The entire Nation was freed from despotic British rule and THAT'S why you want it "rewritten".
It really wasnt was it ? White folk were freed , thats what you mean.

Whitewash the DemoKKKrats' history of slavery, Jim Crow, separate but equal, anti-civil rights crusades, and the KKK? Not a good idea. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Genuine history is context and fact taken together. Given the world out of which the U.S. emerged, its concepts of government were radically liberal and liberating. Naturally, there were many who took advantage of this at the expense of others. Naturally, not everyone advanced at the same rate. Honesty dictates, nonetheless, that the real human benefits be recognized. Life was hard for the majority of people. The majority worked hard to exist. Poor men, women and minorities all took a back seat to the rich and powerful, just as in every other country. Yet, unlike almost every other nation, progress was made until everyone's lot improved and mistakes of the past were more and more corrected. Looking at what was accomplished in comparison with the rest of the world, America looks pretty good. It paid a heavy price for the involvement in slavery that it inherited from previous eons, but managed to survive and continue incremental improvement while many other areas of the world went nowhere, or even slid backward.
Nevertheless, the principles in your bill of rights were just aspirational. And were for a long time. Why not recognise the date when they became reality ? Something that all Americans can celebrate.
you sound like a typical fascist,,

thats racist,,,
your mistaken that only white americans wrote history,, and yes you are a racist,,
I didnt say only white americans wrote history. There is a reason I know the truth. Other people recorded real history.
I'm saying the version of history you wish to embrace is written by white people and taught in public schools.

thats racist,,,
I didnt say only white americans wrote history. There is a reason I know the truth. Other people recorded real history.
I'm saying the version of history you wish to embrace is written by white people and taught in public schools.
how do you know what I wish to embrace??

thats racist,,,
Youre angry which tells me what you wish to embrace.

thats racist,,,
where have I shown anger,,

While many things have been invented in America, claiming slavery as one of them is about as far fetched as it is possible to get. Redefining it to some way to some subcategory of human ownership in order to attempt to make it seem worse has no apparent function other than divisiveness and guilt tripping. Owned is owned. Being born into slavery is being born into it. This existed throughout human history in all cultures. No one knows how many Europeans were sold into the Orient. Indigenous peoples did it to their own as well as others. No qualitative difference can be detected; it was always despicable.

thats racist,,,
where have I shown anger,,
Just read where you went off topic and called me a racist like that would change the subject or the facts.

Why not the date when the majority of the population got the right to vote?

It really wasnt was it ? White folk were freed , thats what you mean.

LOL, the "Nation" was freed from despotic "British" rule. Spin it however you like we're still not going to rewrite history based on your interpretations. Still hurts knowing a bunch of hayseeds sent you packing eh?

Forum List

Back