A Church Can Have its Own Police Force, Alabama's Senate Decided!!

Alabama senate votes to allow church to form own police force

Critics of the bill argue that a police department that reports to church officials could be used to cover up crimes.

The state has given a few private universities the authority to have a police force, but never a church or non-school entity.

Police experts have said such a police department would be unprecedented in the US.

Holly shit! Really? Church Police? This is frightening! Sure, the stated purpose is to fight crime on church property, there is no assurance that they wont abuse their police power. Will they be targeting minorities??? This is a racist, homophobic church. Will they be harassing people who don't come to church on a regular basis?

In any case, this is a clear violation of the constitution. The State of Alabama is about to bestow the power of the government on a religious institution!

Alabama's Senate just voted to allow a church to have its own police force
Most universities have their own police force, shitforbrains.

Catholic universities have their own police forces.

View attachment 265925
So what do you think that this proves? It's a school. It has a primary secular purpose. Can you give any example of a church having a police force and explain how doing so is not a violation of the first amendment?
Law and order is a specific atheist position?

You’re a special kind of stupid.

Large churches exist that cover areas larger than some colleges.

Hilarious you feel so threatened about law enforcement.
You call me stupid while clearly demonstrating that you don't know the difference between a school and a church or appreciate the constitutional issues involved in giving governmental powers to a church

You don't have the first fucking clue as to what you are talking about Soy Boi.

Holly shit! Really? Church Police? This is frightening! Sure, the stated purpose is to fight crime on church property, there is no assurance that they wont abuse their police power. Will they be targeting minorities??? This is a racist, homophobic church. Will they be harassing people who don't come to church on a regular basis?

In any case, this is a clear violation of the constitution. The State of Alabama is about to bestow the power of the government on a religious institution!

View attachment 265925
So what do you think that this proves? It's a school. It has a primary secular purpose. Can you give any example of a church having a police force and explain how doing so is not a violation of the first amendment?

You call me stupid while clearly demonstrating that you don't know the difference between a school and a church or appreciate the constitutional issues involved in giving governmental powers to a church
Pisses you off that Churches can protect themselves.

Today’s sermon is Glock 4:2, have a nice day!

View attachment 265925

Soy Boy ??:abgg2q.jpg::abgg2q.jpg::abgg2q.jpg:Is that the most intelligent thing that you can come up with? Please explain exactly why I don't know what I'm talking about and how a church police force is constitutional.:aug08_031:

View attachment 265925

No dippy doo. What pisses me off is that you morons who claim to be patriots and lovers of the constitution are willing to subvert constitutional law to justify giving government police powers to a religious institution

View attachment 265925

No dippy doo. What pisses me off is that you morons who claim to be patriots and lovers of the constitution are willing to subvert constitutional law to justify giving government police powers to a religious institution
You’re free to take it to SCOTUS and let them kick your ass too.

Once again you demonstrate your pathetic and profound ignorance of the legal process. I can't bring it to SCOTUs because I don't have legal standing. But residents of Alabama do and they will challenge it. We'll see whos ass gets kicked.

View attachment 265925

Soy Boy ??:abgg2q.jpg::abgg2q.jpg::abgg2q.jpg:Is that the most intelligent thing that you can come up with? Please explain exactly why I don't know what I'm talking about and how a church police force is constitutional.:aug08_031:

Son, either cite relevant sources or shut the f*ck up. You are nothing more than a little man so filled with hatred you can't see straight.

Once again you demonstrate your pathetic and profound ignorance of the legal process. I can't bring it to SCOTUs because I don't have legal standing. But residents of Alabama do and they will challenge it. We'll see whos ass gets kicked.
um, isn't there precedence? Didn't the Mormons have their own police force in Utah?

Son, either cite relevant sources or shut the f*ck up. You are nothing more than a little man so filled with hatred you can't see straight.
Pop , I already did! I documented that fact that there is no precedent for a church having a police force, and it is just common fucking sense that there is a difference between a church and a school The fact that you are too obtuse to recognize it is not my problem.

um, isn't there precedence? Didn't the Mormons have their own police force in Utah?
No. They are Colorado City Az. Marshals that got a little to cozy with the Mormons but not employed by the church and it has been a fucking legal disaster

Polygamous Mormon Church Allowed to Keep Its Police Force

The move would be unprecedented in the United States. And, according to experts, it would also be unquestionably unconstitutional.

Violation of Church and State?
The church's original press release stated that it intended only to "mirror" a Alabama law that allows educational institutions to have its own police forces.

But vesting those state powers in the hands of a religious institution, no matter how large, would violate the Establishment Clause of the Constitution—the separation of church and state—according to the Alabama chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union.

"What the bill attempts to do is to take what is a quintessential governmental power—law enforcement—and vest that police power in the hands of a religious institution," legal director Randall Marshall told Newsweek. "That would give church officials who run a police department the decision as to what laws to enforce, who to arrest, what levels of force would be needed to effectuate such an arrest. It so intertwines the church with state powers that it truly is an establishment clause problem."
????

Dear TheProgressivePatriot

If companies can hire their own security guards,
and Campuses can hire their own police on site.

Why isn't that enough for churches?
Why did this even require additional legislation?

Colleges and Companies can have their own policies
such as gun-free zones and ID checks at the entrances.

So there are some differences from citywide policies that
all other police follow.

Why isn't it ENOUGH to hire private police within those private premises?

I don't understand why this isn't enough.

Is it because of complications with "relations" between private and public police?

The last time I saw a news story in the media on this, a University Cop GOT FIRED
for abandoning his position to answer an emergency call for help from outside police needing backup:
Cop groups back fired Rice officer who helped out HPD

Whatever is the "relationship" between privately hired police zoned to
either a Church or College Campus (or private Company),
I do believe this should be improved to avoid legal complications.

If this policy needs to be challenged or changed, I would just make it where
ALL police, whether private or public hired, should be trained
in following the SAME CONSTITUTIONAL PROTOCOL that
the local residents also agree to be trained in and enforce.

The CITY police have enough problems trying to get officers
and the City on the same page with Constitutional law enforcement.

If you get CHURCHES involved, what we need is ALL CITIZENS
and COMMUNITIES to get involved in enforcing CONSTITUTIONAL protections.

www.ethics-commission.net
http://www.isocracytx.net/ec/hpdmissn.gif

Pop , I already did! I documented that fact that there is no precedent for a church having a police force, and it is just common fucking sense that there is a difference between a church and a school The fact that you are too obtuse to recognize it is not my problem.

Dear TheProgressivePatriot and Ambivalent1
Universities like Rice that hire and fire their own police
received FEDERAL FUNDING and thus must comply with
Civil Rights and other federal laws. That's why Rice was
legally required to desegregate after the Civil Rights Act
was passed in 1964 as a historic change to their institution.
Because they receive federal funding.

Churches do not receive federal funding and are not
governed by the same laws because they are RELIGIOUS INSTITUTIONS.

So this is different from a school especially one that receives federal funds.

The move would be unprecedented in the United States. And, according to experts, it would also be unquestionably unconstitutional.

The church's original press release stated that it intended only to "mirror" a Alabama law that allows educational institutions to have its own police forces.

But vesting those state powers in the hands of a religious institution, no matter how large, would violate the Establishment Clause of the Constitution—the separation of church and state—according to the Alabama chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union.

"What the bill attempts to do is to take what is a quintessential governmental power—law enforcement—and vest that police power in the hands of a religious institution," legal director Randall Marshall told Newsweek. "That would give church officials who run a police department the decision as to what laws to enforce, who to arrest, what levels of force would be needed to effectuate such an arrest. It so intertwines the church with state powers that it truly is an establishment clause problem."

relax, theres another name for that. It's called "Security Guard". Ever hear of that before? no that doesn't mean the Spanish Inquisition is coming back .

Dear Yarddog
If these are just Security Guards
why would additional legislation be needed?
Churches can already hire their own Security Guards!

Am I missing something here?

Are you really this stupid?
Stupid?? Please explain, Bubba

The level of your hysteria is astonishing. You immediately descend to accusations of behaviors that only progressives loons, like you, engage in.

Dear westwall
I think this is GOOD that TheProgressivePatriot is questioning this.
We NEED to have this discussion.

I get criticized, too, but I have similar reservations when it comes to Political Parties
pushing their beliefs into Government unconstitutionally.
TheProgressivePatriot doesn't have a problem with that like I do.

Now it's clear TPP has a problem with this set up.
I support his right to petition to ENSURE Constitutional limits are not crossed.

Why not finish this discussion and find out where the churches are going too far?
What PROTOCOL or safeguards need to be in place to prevent overreaching?

This might bring an understanding of where parties are acting like churches
and overreaching to violate Constitutional limits and protections as well.

CITY POLICE are already caught overreaching and violating Constitutional rights.

What is needed to educate CHURCHES and COMMUNITIES
on CONSTITUTIONAL PROTECTIONS OF CITIZENS
if we are going to have private police running their own forces?

relax, theres another name for that. It's called "Security Guard". Ever hear of that before? no that doesn't mean the Spanish Inquisition is coming back .
There is a difference between security guards and police.

Agree TheProgressivePatriot
If they were the same, there wouldn't be any need for added legislation
because churches can already hire their own security guards without that.

Yarddog please see my previous post.

Rice University had to fire one of its good officers
because their policy/jurisdiction was SEPARATE from HPD/city police.
When it came to an EMERGENCY call for backup,
that was "life or death" the Rice U officer was compelled to
"leave his post" to help the city officer off campus.

There IS a clear need to REFORM policies
so that officers can respond in case of life/death emergencies.

I think this needs a lot more careful work, because we already
have major issues with CITY police not following Constitutional laws and protocol.

If Churches start managing their own police force,
this might call for COMMUNITY WIDE education and training
in Constitutional law enforcement, procedures and protections.

We don't need MORE corruption and abuse of police power,
we need LESS. If this is done right, it could REQUIRE public education
and training for everyone in order to protect civil and Constitutional rights.

I'm all for that, totally support Civics Education and Constitutional outreach:

????

Dear TheProgressivePatriot

If companies can hire their own security guards,
and Campuses can hire their own police on site.

Why isn't that enough for churches?
Why did this even require additional legislation?

Colleges and Companies can have their own policies
such as gun-free zones and ID checks at the entrances.

So there are some differences from citywide policies that
all other police follow.

Why isn't it ENOUGH to hire private police within those private premises?

I don't understand why this isn't enough.

Is it because of complications with "relations" between private and public police?

The last time I saw a news story in the media on this, a University Cop GOT FIRED
for abandoning his position to answer an emergency call for help from outside police needing backup:

Whatever is the "relationship" between privately hired police zoned to
either a Church or College Campus (or private Company),
I do believe this should be improved to avoid legal complications.

If this policy needs to be challenged or changed, I would just make it where
ALL police, whether private or public hired, should be trained
in following the SAME CONSTITUTIONAL PROTOCOL that
the local residents also agree to be trained in and enforce.

The CITY police have enough problems trying to get officers
and the City on the same page with Constitutional law enforcement.

If you get CHURCHES involved, what we need is ALL CITIZENS
and COMMUNITIES to get involved in enforcing CONSTITUTIONAL protections.

http://www.isocracytx.net/ec/hpdmissn.gif
Read the Constitution, particularly the first amendment.

The issue is that the government is violating the constitution by extending governmental powers in the form of police to a church. Yes, is is that simple, yet you and others here insist on twisting yourselves into pretzels over it.

There is no separation of church and state anyways, because the Bible says that every government is instituted by God. So having a church police in addition to a state police is immaterial, isn't it?
The bible says? Give me a fucking break! This is the USA> This is a constitutional republic. It is NOT a theocracy,
So, are you saying that the US or state government was not instituted by God? Ok so if they weren't then they police you for their own games. The the church police is better because it polices you for God's gains. Anyways, they may end up like the Amish Maffia too.

The issue is that the government is violating the constitution by extending governmental powers in the form of police to a church. Yes, is is that simple, yet you and others here insist on twisting yourselves into pretzels over it.

^ Dear TheProgressivePatriot
Read my messages more carefully.

You might be shocked to find I am more in agreement
with you and even posted explanations to back up why you are contesting this as different
from security guards or from university police. Please read carefully!

Where I added something different is to promote Constitutional
education and enforcement for the whole public.

Forum List

Back