a question for rock climbers?

why do you say that

Probably because he has never enjoyed the feeling of conquering ones fears and the sense of accomplishment that one gets when you have figured out a route to the top that no one else has ever done. He probably hates anyone who does anything active. He probably looks at the picture below and says to himself "wow, that looks really unpleasant, and cold" whereas we say to ourselves "wow, look how beautiful that is! I wonder what the other side looks like?"

kaweah31.JPG
No because they are idiots.
Ahhhh, projecting again, how cute.
You can go back out and play now. :thup:
Go climb a mountain and fall off.
Still pretending you want to play with the big boys? Don't rush it and don't worry, the day will eventually come when you're grown up enough. But be patient, in you case it's gonna take 30, 40 years.
Isn't summer vacation almost over for you? I bet you're excited the meet your new 2nd grade classmates, run along now.

I guess it's the free hand stuff that scares the crap out of me. I've done lots of stuff just for the thrill of it but that looks like complete insanity to me. But more power to folks who do it. Them are some cojones you guys got.
I have take insanely dangerous risks in my life, but, never for shit and giggles.

Unless there would be treasure at the top, I ain't climbing no damned cliff.

Ya'll have fun though.
So? Who cares? :dunno:

I was watching a commercial with a rock climber climbing....I have a question. Is there always a way up?

No. There are many dead climbers that could attest to that reality if they could talk. One lesson my best friend's father, one of the original Seattle Mountaineers climbing club and veteran of the WWII mountain climbing division made clear is that there is no shame in turning around and going back down. Besides, rappelling is fun.

I think more climbers have died rappelling than from any other single cause. Most climbing deaths are simple mistakes brought on by either fatigue or overconfidence.
I would think stupidity would be #1.

Nope, complacency. After you've done something 1000 times you begin to get lazy. Smart people die all the time. Pilots make mistakes every day. It takes a great deal of intelligence to get a pilots certification, but it only takes a moment of inattention to fly into a mountain.

I guess it's the free hand stuff that scares the crap out of me. I've done lots of stuff just for the thrill of it but that looks like complete insanity to me. But more power to folks who do it. Them are some cojones you guys got.
I have take insanely dangerous risks in my life, but, never for shit and giggles.

Ya'll have fun though.

There is treasure at the top, Roadrunner. Standing atop a soaring desert spire looking out at the world laid out beneath you following a difficult climb is priceless. Climbing is not insanely dangerous. You're more apt to get hurt driving to the store for a loaf of bread than rock climbing.

Ya'll have fun though.

There is treasure at the top, Roadrunner. Standing atop a soaring desert spire looking out at the world laid out beneath you following a difficult climb is priceless. Climbing is not insanely dangerous. You're more apt to get hurt driving to the store for a loaf of bread than rock climbing.

A person who has never done it simply can't understand it. The closest I have been able to come, analogy wise, to a non climber, is imagine the feeling you got when you finally accomplished that thing that you had never been able to do before. Time after time you failed, then finally you were able to "beat" it. Whatever that thing was, that feeling of having finally succeeded is what climbing is all about.

We just get to do it more frequently!

By far the most important thing I got from climbing was stress relief from everyday worries. It's hard to obsess about your job or a failing relationship when you're trying to figure out how someone before you climbed through a section that looks impossible while hanging your heels over a thousand feet of air. I think you can get more relaxation from a challenging weekend of climbing than you can from laying on a blanket at the beach.

By far the most important thing I got from climbing was stress relief from everyday worries. It's hard to obsess about your job or a failing relationship when you're trying to figure out how someone before you climbed through a section that looks impossible while hanging your heels over a thousand feet of air. I think you can get more relaxation from a challenging weekend of climbing than you can from laying on a blanket at the beach.

Welllllll, if you count exhausted relaxation! The tiredest I have ever been was after scaling El Capitan. I was absolutely done in for a day afterwards.

Welllllll, if you count exhausted relaxation! The tiredest I have ever been was after scaling El Capitan. I was absolutely done in for a day afterwards.

I've always found that it's impossible to be stressed out when you're worn out, Westwall. It's probably why I've never had to take sleeping pills. If I have trouble falling asleep because of stress...my reaction is to do something exhausting physically so that I'm going to nod off about two seconds after my head hits the pillow. When I was stressed about life...a quick trip to the desert and some climbing always put things in perspective.

My guess is that some of the more "shrill" posters on this board would mellow out if they did a weekend climbing rock instead of surfing the net.

why do you say that

Probably because he has never enjoyed the feeling of conquering ones fears and the sense of accomplishment that one gets when you have figured out a route to the top that no one else has ever done. He probably hates anyone who does anything active. He probably looks at the picture below and says to himself "wow, that looks really unpleasant, and cold" whereas we say to ourselves "wow, look how beautiful that is! I wonder what the other side looks like?"

kaweah31.JPG
Still pretending you want to play with the big boys? Don't rush it and don't worry, the day will eventually come when you're grown up enough. But be patient, in you case it's gonna take 30, 40 years.
Isn't summer vacation almost over for you? I bet you're excited the meet your new 2nd grade classmates, run along now.
I really hope you get out of your Grandmas' basement soon.

kaweah31.JPG
Me too, she's been dead for at least a decade........
The one great thing about free speech is knowing when not to use it, a lesson you haven't learned yet. Maybe you think what you say is important, and that people actually listen to you. It isn't and they don't. So like I said before, why don't you go out and play with the other mental midgets before I really get nasty........ I've been kind so far.

I've always found that it's impossible to be stressed out when you're worn out, Westwall. It's probably why I've never had to take sleeping pills. If I have trouble falling asleep because of stress...my reaction is to do something exhausting physically so that I'm going to nod off about two seconds after my head hits the pillow. When I was stressed about life...a quick trip to the desert and some climbing always put things in perspective.

You know. You might be on to something there. I have never had to take a sleeping pill in my whole life. Of course I have always been active and live 15 minutes from the desert which we frequently go to. So there you are! Positive affirmation!

The one great thing about free speech is knowing when not to use it, a lesson you haven't learned yet. Maybe you think what you say is important, and that people actually listen to you. It isn't and they don't. So like I said before, why don't you go out and play with the other mental midgets before I really get nasty........ I've been kind so far.

Yes, it seems politico is the one who needs to get out of his long suffering mothers basement. But, and here's the real question....can trolls exist outside of their moms basement?

kaweah31.JPG

You need a place to stay?

You know. You might be on to something there. I have never had to take a sleeping pill in my whole life. Of course I have always been active and live 15 minutes from the desert which we frequently go to. So there you are! Positive affirmation!

I'm in Florida now (the flattest State in the country?) so I've got to travel to climb. I lived in Aspen, Colorado for ten years and could get on some sweet lines with about a ten minute drive or Rifle was was about an hour away. Miss the Rockies. Miss Utah. :(

I'm in Florida now (the flattest State in the country?) so I've got to travel to climb. I lived in Aspen, Colorado for ten years and could get on some sweet lines with about a ten minute drive or Rifle was was about an hour away. Miss the Rockies. Miss Utah. :(
Colorado Springs, Climbed almost every rock in Garden of the Gods, North and South Cheyenne Canyons and sections of Pikes Peak. Now we're in El Paso and yes we have the Franklin Mountains but at 61 with both knees shot and needing a bionic spine........ :dunno:

Colorado Springs, Climbed almost every rock in Garden of the Gods, North and South Cheyenne Canyons and sections of Pikes Peak. Now we're in El Paso and yes we have the Franklin Mountains but at 61 with both knees shot and needing a bionic spine........ :dunno:

Bionic spine huh? Where can I get one of those? I could have used one of those ten years ago!
Never have climbed in Colorado. I've climbed anything reasonably interesting in Cali, Utah, and AZ, and did some trailblazing in Alaska.

LOL!

Forum List

Back