A Reminder About Harassment and Discussing Mod Actions on the Open Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point. Why isn't there a log of every action taken where even if a mod didn't make that specific action he can look it up to see who did, and why? Hell, even I could quickly set up a database to keep track of all that.
Every Thread has a Moderation Log tab, open to all Mods and Admin.

I agree. They should at least have Alex Jones, or some guy on the street corner with a maga hat and aluminum foil liner to back them up on those decisions.
That is exactly the kind of shit I hear, but never a rational explanation.

No trolling? Then expect about an 80% reduction in membership. Why even come here if you can't call someone an idiot, or shake you dick at them.
Following around from thread to thread the moment they post is an issue that will be looked at closer, as there is a rule against harassment.

Threats made towards forum members is a rules violation. If they are reported and you don't see any action taken, PM me the details and I'll look into it.
Is it really a threat when everyone here is anonymous? How would someone execute a threat of anything upon me?

So how can they say "I don't know" ?
Beats, me. I have not seen any mod say they didn't know who took and action. I often look at moderation log in the thread, when inquiry is made. As a matter of fact, it is my first action after an inquiry. Though, my response if not involved is to tell the member to PM more mods, until they find the one responsible. I am not aware of any mod, denying responsibility for an action they take, though you will not hear from me, who the mod is. I have never received a message that all mods have denied responsibility, though have seen times when the mod taking the action, was logged off, when the inquiry started.

Beats, me. I have not seen any mod say they didn't know who took and action. I often look at moderation log in the thread, when inquiry is made. As a matter of fact, it is my first action after an inquiry. Though, my response if not involved is to tell the member to PM more mods, until they find the one responsible. I am not aware of any mod, denying responsibility for an action they take, though you will not hear from me, who the mod is. I have never received a message that all mods have denied responsibility, though have seen times when the mod taking the action, was logged off, when the inquiry started.
The log doesn't show who did what and why?

Don’t I need to care what posters think in order to feel harassed? No chance of that.

Wow, we actually agree for once.

It's kind of a bummer for a mod who wants to participate as a poster but... The safest bet is to not reply, nor respond to postings made by mods.

Exactly. If they participate in heated thread discussions then they're liable to get burned.

By now, I would have rewritten it more clearly.
You wrote it, so you are aware of the context of what you meant, so it looks clear.
Other people can't read your mind, so the confusing language is, well, confusing.
I spelled that out earlier.

It looks like the majority of responders were confused actually.

Here's what I'm gonna say about this. And that's all I'm gonna say about it.

I, for one, will never just lay down and let a maud arbitrarily have their way with me just because they think they can and are comfortable that they will not be held to any meaningful accountability. Ever. It's not in my nature.

I'm not talking about regular forum babble. I'm talking about inappropriate, arbitrary, unjustified maud actions. A maud shouldn't be able to get away with that stuff. There needs to be a legitimate means of accountability.

If pointing out truly malfeasant maud actions is considered ''harrassment'' by the given maude who performed an arbitrary, unjustified action when one is directly affected by it, then there's a much bigger issue at play here.

That ''PM a maud'' thing? That is, in my personal view, useless and really only serves to keep any malfeasance under wraps, further encouraging and maintaining the arbitrary behavior. It shields a maud from any expectation of accountability. The rest of the mauds are almost always gonna support the maud's opinion anyway. Assuming they even find out about shenanigans.

So what maningful choice does one really have left but to blow the whistle on that brand of skulduggery in the middle of the Town Square?

There must be a trusted means to police the police. There must be a trusted means of accountability. The current way doesn't work. Which, I suppose, is the downside of the absence of an active owner/administrator.

The stuff about starting threads about them? Yeah, I get all of that.

Exactly as isn't this part of the message board also used for feedback? In my opinion some subjects should be discussed on the public forum so others can be made aware of it.

And what recourse is there to protect a member when a mod follows them into threads?

I was just about to ask the same thing as I use to have that happen all the time on here by a mod.

If it is in-fact Trolling? NO.

I think that he meant on topic or in the Badlands.

There must be a trusted means to police the police. There must be a trusted means of accountability. The current way doesn't work. Which, I suppose, is the downside of the absence of an active owner/administrator.
I'm going to assume this forum is run like others I've modded in: there is a private section where mods discuss actions amongst themselves.
Why not open that section to members to view (not comment upon)?
Then any questionable actions can be viewed in the full light of how they came to pass.
If I were a mod, I would have zero problem with the membership of the site seeing my rationale for any actions taken, because I am both fair and logical.

Is it considered stalking to continually “mention” a member with silly memes like “306>232”?
If someone is doing that by following a member around the forum and posting it in threads where it's off topic, YES, it is stalking/harassment and will be dealt with accordingly.

And what recourse is there to protect a member when a mod follows them into threads?

If mods are above reproach, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to post as "members". It enables certain mods to target posters here, with impunity. It muddies the waters as to who can be criticized and who suddenly becomes beyond criticism. It allows mods to be just a member posting and on a whim becoming a mod with a grudge.
PM me the info if that happens.

Is it really a threat when everyone here is anonymous? How would someone execute a threat of anything upon me?
You would be surprised at what a bored person can do when they are hellbent on finding info on someone. Think "datamining". We have a rule about that as well. It HAS happened here many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back