A Travesty: Muslim Call To Prayer To Be Chanted Every Friday Across Campus At Duke University

From what I understand there are approximately 700 muslims students who attend Duke university.

By not allowing them to broadcast the Adhan for 3 min. at noon on Friday.

These future graduates who hoped to establish themselves as productive members of the community. Have essentially been told they are 2nd class citizens and their voices don't count.

And then we wonder why so many American muslims are hesitant to speak out on various issues? ....... :cool:

So we should also herald the Lord's prayer for the MAJORITY of students that are Christian?

Who cares?

Why is this a problem to anyone?

The same reason why you liberals don't want christians prayers in our schools. It fucks your belief system up.

Islam is just 10 times worse for you.

There are "Christian prayers" at Duke every day. It's a private school.

Are these Christian prayers made over the loudspeakers in the Bell Tower?

I don't even know what the prayer is saying. Prayer chants, as well as music, can be inspiring. I know there is a lot of good in the Koran as well as in the Christian Bible, and the Christian world has done horrendous actions against humanity as well as well as wonderful actions, the same as Islam has.

The call to Adham at Duke University was to be done in English. Would you have a problem with that?
Why are you insisting the Adhan be in the English language?

The Adhan has been recited in Arabic for 1400+ years everywhere in the world since the Prophet instituted the practice.

I do not ever see that changing. ...... :cool:

You do realize Duke is a private university established by Methodist's, correct?
From what I understand there are approximately 700 muslims students who attend Duke university.

These future graduates who hoped to establish themselves as productive members of the community. Have essentially been told they are 2nd class citizens and their voices don't count.

And then we wonder why so many American muslims are hesitant to speak out on various issues? ....... :cool:

You do realize Duke is a private university established by Methodist's, correct?
Duke university lost it's Christian veneer several decades ago.

The university now has an LBGTQ student coordinator staff member on the payroll to help gay students adjust to campus life..

So I seriously doubt the universities Methodist founder's would even recognize Duke as a model for Christian education. ...... :cool:

Actually, that fact and the fact they hired an imam for the muslim students shows they are trying to be accommodative. Out of 36 trustees, 24 are of the United Methodist church, selected by the church. Twelve are elected by graduates of the university, but must be approved by the other trustees. The methodist church is very much still involved.

Duke university lost it's Christian veneer several decades ago.

The university now has an LBGTQ student coordinator staff member on the payroll.

So I seriously doubt the universities Methodist founder's would even recognize Duke as a model for Christian education. ...... :cool:

How has Duke breached that? They are not leading the prayers. What they are doing is the same as ringing the church bells.
some leftist sued a small town that had statue ofa soldier kneeling by grave, but since the headstone was a cross he went nuts and said his rights were violated

so I"m just channeling the leftist thought pattern if they can be honest about it

And a right wing state supreme court justice put a 2 ton monument of the 10 commandments in a state courthouse lobby and refused to allow another other displays. Channel that and see whether the 1st amendment was violated.

I thought OUR LAW was based on the 10 Commandments, NOT Sharia, or the atheist code of nothing!

No, it is not based on the 10 commandments. Only 4 of the 10 were laws at all. And the one about "false witness" only applied in certain circumstances. Our law is based on a variety of sources. Most cultures with any laws at all had laws against murder and theft. Those are the only two commandments that would apply to our laws now.

I really hadn't looked into this, perhaps believing common stories... Just looking through a search engine, it seems that most of the first 2 pages are dedicated to disproving most of these by atheists, freedom from religion, and secular groups with the same type of agenda..... Of course, we understand that things like do not kill, and do not steal, are a common theme in all law systems, but almost everyone of the commandments can be interpreted as having part to do with our law system. It simply depends on how ones PERSONAL OPINION and interpretation goes! As an agnostic, I can see where both sides have a legitimate claim on a yes or a no!

"
  1. “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.
  2. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
  3. “You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
  4. “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."
None of the first 4 commandments are in our laws. In fact, laws based on these first 4 commandments would be unconstitutional.

"5. “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you."

The 5th commandment could be interpreted as law, in that your parents have control over you and are responsible for you. But that is a bit of a stretch to say it is a basis for any of our laws.

6. “You shall not murder.
7. “You shall not commit adultery.
8. “You shall not steal.
9. “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

#6 and #8 are in our laws. But then they are also in sets of laws that predate the 10 commandments.
#7 - Adultery is illegal in some sets of laws, but not all.
#9 - Is a law in certain circumstances. You can't lie to authorities or under oath. But telling lies is not illegal, per se.

“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.

Coveting is not illegal. In fact, it is part of the basis for our entire economy.

Duke is a private college. They can do what they want in this regard. Oh, and by the way, Breitbart is still dead. Just sayin...
Yup yup

January 15, 2015
Duke University finds homosexual haters it can embrace
By Thomas Lifson

Duke University is one of the most politically correct campuses in the nation, a title for which there is abundant competition. Chick Fil A’s outlet on campus closed in 2013, after its contract expired in the wake of concerns expressed by the LGBT Center.

But now comes news that the Muslim call to prayer, the adhan, will echo from the bell tower of the Duke chapel – Duke’s most iconic structure -- every Friday, electronically amplified. CNN:

Starting Friday, the Duke Muslim Students Association will chant the call, or adhan, from the Duke Chapel bell tower. The adhan signals the beginning of the weekly prayer service. It's ubiquitous in Muslim countries the world over; not so in the Carolina piedmont.

The call will last three minutes and will be only "moderately amplified," the school said.

Duke, which got its start in the late 19th century with help from the Methodist church, says the move "represents a larger commitment to religious pluralism that is at the heart of Duke's mission."

I wonder how the LGBT Center feels about this? Islam calls for the killing of homosexuals. If mere opposition to same sex marriage is cause for outrage, how about the killing of homosexuals?

Blog Duke University finds homosexual haters it can embrace

Correction - radical Islam calls for the killing of homosexuals.

So, putting them to death is the only evidence that Muslims hate gays?

Plenty on both sides of the issue would tell you otherwise.

I made no statement to that effect. I was merely pointing out that it is radical Islam that calls for killing homosexuals. But since this is being argued, I have seen so-called Christians in this country say essentially as much. Why no comment on those people?

Indeed, it is the radical muslims who want to put gays to death. The mainstream muslims have not tried to do any such thing.

Whats a "mainstream" Muslim? homosexuality is considered an abomination in Islam btw.

It is considered an abomination in Judeo-Christian faiths as well.

some leftist sued a small town that had statue ofa soldier kneeling by grave, but since the headstone was a cross he went nuts and said his rights were violated

so I"m just channeling the leftist thought pattern if they can be honest about it

And a right wing state supreme court justice put a 2 ton monument of the 10 commandments in a state courthouse lobby and refused to allow another other displays. Channel that and see whether the 1st amendment was violated.

I thought OUR LAW was based on the 10 Commandments, NOT Sharia, or the atheist code of nothing!

No, it is not based on the 10 commandments. Only 4 of the 10 were laws at all. And the one about "false witness" only applied in certain circumstances. Our law is based on a variety of sources. Most cultures with any laws at all had laws against murder and theft. Those are the only two commandments that would apply to our laws now.

I really hadn't looked into this, perhaps believing common stories... Just looking through a search engine, it seems that most of the first 2 pages are dedicated to disproving most of these by atheists, freedom from religion, and secular groups with the same type of agenda..... Of course, we understand that things like do not kill, and do not steal, are a common theme in all law systems, but almost everyone of the commandments can be interpreted as having part to do with our law system. It simply depends on how ones PERSONAL OPINION and interpretation goes! As an agnostic, I can see where both sides have a legitimate claim on a yes or a no!

"
  1. “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.
  2. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
  3. “You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
  4. “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."
None of the first 4 commandments are in our laws. In fact, laws based on these first 4 commandments would be unconstitutional.

"5. “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you."

The 5th commandment could be interpreted as law, in that your parents have control over you and are responsible for you. But that is a bit of a stretch to say it is a basis for any of our laws.

8. “You shall not steal.

#6 and #8 are in our laws. But then they are also in sets of laws that predate the 10 commandments.
#9 - Is a law in certain circumstances. You can't lie to authorities or under oath. But telling lies is not illegal, per se.

“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.

Coveting is not illegal. In fact, it is part of the basis for our entire economy.

Just taking your #1....
“We hold these truths to be self-evident…
all men are… endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted

Sorry, I interpret that to be talking about ONE superior being, or GOD to many...

Others may vary!

"

8. “You shall not steal.

Just taking your #1....
all men are… endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted

Sorry, I interpret that to be talking about ONE superior being, or GOD to many...

Others may vary!

I think there is a huge difference between recognizing that all men are endowed by their creator with certain rights, and god saying you shall have no other gods but me.

But, as you said, it is about interpretation.

"

8. “You shall not steal.

Just taking your #1....

Others may vary!

I think there is a huge difference between recognizing that all men are endowed by their creator with certain rights, and god saying you shall have no other gods but me.

But, as you said, it is about interpretation.

And I don't! See how we can disagree about interpretation!

As soon as Christians are allowed to broadcast the Lord's Prayer over the same Campus loudspeakers you have a point. Until then, too bad.

The call to Adham at Duke University was to be done in English. Would you have a problem with that?
Why are you insisting the Adhan be in the English language?

The Adhan has been recited in Arabic for 1400+ years everywhere in the world since the Prophet instituted the practice.

I do not ever see that changing. ...... :cool:

I didn't insist or even suggest that it be done in English. What I read was it was being proposed that it be done in English, and I don't know if that is really the case.
I merely asked you if it was done in English on the Duke University campus would you support that?

Duke is a private college. They can do what they want in this regard. Oh, and by the way, Breitbart is still dead. Just sayin...
Correction - radical Islam calls for the killing of homosexuals.

I made no statement to that effect. I was merely pointing out that it is radical Islam that calls for killing homosexuals. But since this is being argued, I have seen so-called Christians in this country say essentially as much. Why no comment on those people?

Indeed, it is the radical muslims who want to put gays to death. The mainstream muslims have not tried to do any such thing.

Whats a "mainstream" Muslim? homosexuality is considered an abomination in Islam btw.

Christians and Jews don't put homosexuals in prison for being gay or execute them in the streets.

I didn't insist or even suggest that it be done in English. What I read was it was being proposed that it be done in English, and I don't know if that is really the case.
I merely asked you if it was done in English on the Duke University campus would you support that?
No......I would not.

The Adhan has an unbroken chain of 1400+ years going back to the Prophet of being recited in Arabic.

The Adhan in english, or any other language, would be "bid'ah" (an unIslamic innovation) and is forbidden. ...... :cool:

Christians and Jews don't put homosexuals in prison for being gay or execute them in the streets.

I never said they did. I simply replied that it is an abomination in other faiths as well.

And it was not so long ago that you could be jailed for being openly gay or having sex with someone of the same gender.

Who cares?

Why is this a problem to anyone?

The same reason why you liberals don't want christians prayers in our schools. It fucks your belief system up.

Islam is just 10 times worse for you.

I am fine with religion in private schools- like Duke.

Duke is treating treating Muslims students like it treats Christians students.

Who other than religious bigots would object to that?

Not exactly. The kicked Chick Fil A off the campus because of the owners Christian beliefs.

Not exactly
Chick-Fil-A to close in May 2013 The Chronicle
Chick-Fil-A will not return to campus effective the end of academic year, Rick Johnson, associate vice president of housing and dining, said.

The chain restaurant, along with Subway, will not have a place in the events pavilion that will temporarily host vendors during West Union Building renovations, scheduled to begin summer 2013, he said. The cost of building and then removing a fast food chain was too high to justify a place for either vendor.
What do you think?
Both restaurants will also not return to the new West Union, because the building will no longer host national fast food chains, Johnson added.

Do you think Duke also 'kicked' Subway off campus because of Subway owner's Christian beliefs?

Fear not Duke has come to their senses:
Duke reverses decision to allow Muslim call to prayer
Duke University has reversed its decision to allow a Muslim call to prayer to sound from a campus chapel bell tower, school officials announced Thursday.
Duke reverses decision to allow Muslim call to prayer - CNN.com

the Duke Muslim Students Association had planned to chant the call, or adhan, from the Duke Chapel bell tower. The adhan signals the beginning of the weekly prayer service. Jummah prayers have taken place in the basement of Duke Chapel for many years, the statement said.

"It is important to note that there will continue to be a call to prayer and service as there has been for many years. The only thing that has changed is that it will not come from the bell tower of the Duke Chapel as previously announced." Schoendeld added.

Don't see a problem with that either. Duke can do what it wants- private university.

Forum List

Back