AB5

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
California advances bill that would 'lead the world' on gig worker rights

A bill that would fundamentally change the way tech giants – such as Lyftand Uber – engage with workers has passed a major hurdle in the California legislature.

Assembly Bill 5 would change the way businesses classify employees and dramatically expand protections for gig workers. If it becomes law, it would represent a big win for labor advocates across the state.

“This bill not only does important things immediately for workers, but also sets a framework for the future we think is really important,” said Steve Smith of the California Labor Federation.

Gig workers are modern day slaves and should have some protection. I hope that this bill is passed and that other states take notice.

Uber lost $5B in Q2, and if this spreads they'll be in real trouble. Lyft is in better shape, but this would affect them, too.

The drivers have every right to do this, and it may not be a bad thing for these services to go under, but that's reality.

Maybe the business model isn't realistic, especially if the laws change like this. The drivers can get jobs at taxi companies or pizza shops if they want.

Last edited:

A bill that would fundamentally change the way tech giants – such as Lyftand Uber – engage with workers has passed a major hurdle in the California legislature.

Assembly Bill 5 would change the way businesses classify employees and dramatically expand protections for gig workers. If it becomes law, it would represent a big win for labor advocates across the state.

“This bill not only does important things immediately for workers, but also sets a framework for the future we think is really important,” said Steve Smith of the California Labor Federation.

Gig workers are modern day slaves and should have some protection. I hope that this bill is passed and that other states take notice.

Driving business out of California seems to be becoming a state government specialty.

YOU hope the bill is passed? Don't you have other things to worry about?

Driving business out of California seems to be becoming a state government specialty.

YOU hope the bill is passed? Don't you have other things to worry about?
We have Uber over here so this is relevant. If uber cant treat staff properly they should go out of business.

Are you hoping this comes to Wales or do you already have this over there?

Uber lost $5B in Q2, and if this spreads they'll be in real trouble. Lyft is in better shape, but this would affect them, too.

The drivers have every right to do this, and it may not be a bad thing for these services to go under, but that's reality.

Maybe the business model isn't realistic, especially if the laws change like this. The drivers can get jobs at taxi companies or pizza shops if they want.
These gig companies have a negative effect on the business landscape. They undercut existing firms by paying their staff less. Its a race to the bottom.

Are you hoping this comes to Wales or do you already have this over there?
Its pretty much all over the UK. I wont use them but my daughter is in Liverpool Uni and its a way of life there.

Uber like so many American corporations, funnels too much of their income to the top. Last I checked, the two founders are multi billionaires. They became fantastically rich in a very short time. All the while, their drivers make peanuts. That is a business plan destined for failure.

Uber like so many American corporations, funnels too much of their income to the top. Last I checked, the two founders are multi billionaires. They became fantastically rich in a very short time. All the while, their drivers make peanuts. That is a business plan destined for failure.

Apparently not, seeing as the two founders became multi-billionaires. :113:

‘Liberty of contract’ is an inane anachronism – a naïve fantasy the purview of libertarians and others on the reactionary right.

Those who work for Lyft and Uber are employees like anyone else, they are entitled to the same protections afforded other workers in their state.

More regulations means less poor will work.

Apparently not, seeing as the two founders became multi-billionaires. :113:
Yes, but only for those two assholes.

The fight goes on between owners who wish to maximize profit and workers who wish to maximize pay.
The libertarian solution would be for a company to step in and steal much of Uber's business by paying drivers more.
It seems like a better solution than for the ideologues in Sacramento to insert their noses in almost every single aspect of life in California.

Is California cutting it's own throat by driving out tech giants by threatening to seize their assets unless they conform to convoluted employment standards? Keep in mind the definition of "fascism" is "government control over the production and distribution of goods and services".

The fight goes on between owners who wish to maximize profit and workers who wish to maximize pay.
The libertarian solution would be for a company to step in and steal much of Uber's business by paying drivers more.
It seems like a better solution than for the ideologues in Sacramento to insert their noses in almost every single aspect of life in California.
You call it a fight. Really? I would say the fight is over and the workers lost big time.

You call it a fight. Really? I would say the fight is over and the workers lost big time.
There is always a tension between the two factions. Where unions are strong wages and benefits are good. Where there is no organized labor wages are poor and benefits non existent (I am a former labor officer who quit my position due to the overwhelmingly leftist nature of union leadership).

It's problem. Unions are necessary yet they are lackeys for the progressive movement.

There is always a tension between the two factions. Where unions are strong wages and benefits are good. Where there is no organized labor wages are poor and benefits non existent (I am a former labor officer who quit my position due to the overwhelmingly leftist nature of union leadership).

It's problem. Unions are necessary yet they are lackeys for the progressive movement.
Yes. Workers in all industries should unionize. If unions would only concern themselves with worker’s wages and benefits, rather then become compromised in politics, more Americans might be interested in joining unions.

Yes. Workers in all industries should unionize. If unions would only concern themselves with worker’s wages and benefits, rather then become compromised in politics, more Americans might be interested in joining unions.
That's been my experience 100%.
I was told by this old Grandpa Walton looking fellow who was introduced as a "labor organizer" in the early nineties at a state convention that Texas would turn blue when they got enough of the "right" sort of voters into Texas. The hair on the back of my neck stood up.

Like their ideological comrades in the Soviet Union the left plays the long game and they have planned for a long time to turn Texas into a blue state through illegal immigration and other illegal means. The plan for the rest of the country is the same.
....subversion through long term unchecked illegal immigration.
I was also told if "we" couldn't get US citizens to drop their standards and ethics they would simply get new voters that would (in reality they have no ethics to begin with).

I finally quit when I caught hell and mentioned at that same convention that speaker Richard Trunka and his AFL-CIO was strongly behind open borders even though the effect on labor unions was deadly (building trades were being wiped out by cheap non union illegals in California). They didn't give a single damn!

I resigned when I returned to Napa.

Forum List

Back