Abraham? Really?

remember the term "golden books" from childhood? "little golden books"-------with the
goldenbook stories------like "sleeping beauty"------and 'Cinderella"--------there actually is---
historically a "golden book" of bible stories. Our dear penny has her reading level
Penny dear----LABAN was the father or RACHEL. As far as I know------his relationship
to REBECCA is not noted ----even in the "golden books" of bible stories----pro
Laven and Rivka are siblings. It's explicit in the Torah during Eliezer's visit to Lavan's house to find a wife for Yitzchak.

yes----and LABAN is the father of Rachel and Leah---------and member of the extended family---
which is why-------ELIEZER got told to go there to get a wife-------a keep it in the tribe thing------
but I lost the name of the father of Rebecca------Isn't he the guy who negotiated at the outset
with Eliezer?

B'Soo'Al

address not withstanding

B'Soo'Al was the Town mayor who got to have sex with all the newly engaged girls.
Now the townsfolk told B'Soo'Al they would kill him if he didn't have sex with Rikva.
B'Soo'Al died during that night and that's why Lavan took over negotiations.
\

oh -------link? what writing?

What was the thing about the suit with hair, if only Isaac knew but he was blind. Laban , sister of Rebecca was just as dishonest. (also not fair to make a deal of food when one is hungry and you have the food, can you say bribe)
The day you actually study a chapter from the beginning will be...
Ah, who am I kidding; you're too much of a Jew hater to do that.

remember the term "golden books" from childhood? "little golden books"-------with the
goldenbook stories------like "sleeping beauty"------and 'Cinderella"--------there actually is---
historically a "golden book" of bible stories. Our dear penny has her reading level
Penny dear----LABAN was the father or RACHEL. As far as I know------his relationship
Laven and Rivka are siblings. It's explicit in the Torah during Eliezer's visit to Lavan's house to find a wife for Yitzchak.

yes----and LABAN is the father of Rachel and Leah---------and member of the extended family---
which is why-------ELIEZER got told to go there to get a wife-------a keep it in the tribe thing------
but I lost the name of the father of Rebecca------Isn't he the guy who negotiated at the outset
with Eliezer?

His name was Bethel, the father of Rebecca
Bethel...a horrible transliteration which means House of God.
B'Soo'Al means Virgin of God.
The King James translation is horrendous.

What was the thing about the suit with hair, if only Isaac knew but he was blind. Laban , sister of Rebecca was just as dishonest. (also not fair to make a deal of food when one is hungry and you have the food, can you say bribe)

with Eliezer?

thanks peach--------that's what Independent wrote-----sorta-----B S EL ------the S is a TUV or THUV

with Eliezer?

B'Soo'Al

address not withstanding

B'Soo'Al was the Town mayor who got to have sex with all the newly engaged girls.
Now the townsfolk told B'Soo'Al they would kill him if he didn't have sex with Rikva.
\

Talmud and Midrash.
You're Jewish...It's time to start some actual studying of your own.
There's an abundance of excellent translations and there's also TorahAnytime.

with Eliezer?

oh-------King James did so well----most of the time

with Eliezer?

B'Soo'Al

address not withstanding

\

Talmud and Midrash.
There are a abundance of excellent translations and there's also TorahAnytime.

I is old

with Eliezer?

No...it's horrendous when you know even a moderate amount of Hebrew.
There's a lot to learn so start learning.

with Eliezer?

KJV is "horrendous" ?------not so bad........how well did the king
know Hebrew? ----who did the KJV?

with Eliezer?

Which the name came from original Hebrew writers when written for the Greeks.
Has nothing to do with the King James.

with Eliezer?

scholars not the king. The king just ordered it done

\

I still think they did a fairly good job------it wasn't easy

nothing is perfect
Jesus, Jesus's dad.
Christians can't deal with an imperfect savior.

There have always been imperfection or things would have never changed. We strive to change an improve everything.
You're missing my point...
Christians can't deal with imperfection in saviors.

Which side are you arguing for, Talmud or NT?

I never though of or expected Jesus to be perfect, nor god for that matter.

not rational enough
I am a Modern Orthodox Jew and don't subscribe to needing a perfect human being to be my savior.
In fact, I have to strive to be my own savior.
Not only that buy G-D said explicitly to not trust anyone but him to be our savior.

with Eliezer?

B'Soo'Al

address not withstanding

\

Talmud and Midrash.
There's an abundance of excellent translations and there's also TorahAnytime.
This is excellent for translations

The Complete Tanach with Rashi's Commentary - English translation with Rashi's commentary

\

I don't. One thing that annoys me, is the commandment is "Do not murder" not "do not kill".

He had a concubine. Actually two if you count hagar. Although some scholars have said they were the same person.
He married his sister
He was subordinate to his sister wife
Made an illegitimate child and kicked him out
Lied to his son that he was going to kill him
He was obviously mentally ill. With some incest and sins in there.
My point is, how did this crazy person become the patriarch of Judaism, Christianity and Islam?
Apparently, despite all of these moral flaws and repugnant behavior, he was still chosen by god for loyalty. This "moral" God was able to look past all of his sins because he was willing to kill his child? WTF
And people say atheists have no morals? Lol
Actually it was his half sister. He was allowed to have a concubine in those days. In fact his wife Sarah suggested it so the can have a baby. G-D told him to kill his son as a test.

Aside from this I'm sure he did make mistakes. All humans make mistakes.

How was he subordinate to his sister's wife?
No lol. I meant his wife that was his sister. She told him to get rid of her and his illigitimate son and thats what he did.
Half sister. He asked G-D what to do and G-D told him in this case to let Sarah handle it.

The problem with Hager, is because she had Abraham's baby she got really arrogant and disrespectful to Sarah.

No Sara suffered from jealousy and wanted Isaac to inherit. The jewish women are sneaky, remember the Jacob story how his mother helped him steal the birthright from Esau.
Verses?
Sarah was jealous...verse?
steal the birthright...didn't Jacob buy it from Eisav.
Feel stupid yet?
Well...actually I think what Rebecca and Jacob was wrong to deceive Issac. And I believe what happened to Jacob's son, Joseph, was a punishment for that.

\

I don't. One thing that annoys me, is the commandment is "Do not murder" not "do not kill".

good point----but keep in mind-----it is probably true that the KJV translators
were not jews and did not quite GET IT. Considering the "gentile" handicap----
they did ok

No lol. I meant his wife that was his sister. She told him to get rid of her and his illigitimate son and thats what he did.
Half sister. He asked G-D what to do and G-D told him in this case to let Sarah handle it.

The problem with Hager, is because she had Abraham's baby she got really arrogant and disrespectful to Sarah.

No Sara suffered from jealousy and wanted Isaac to inherit. The jewish women are sneaky, remember the Jacob story how his mother helped him steal the birthright from Esau.
Verses?
Feel stupid yet?

did Jacob really OWN THOSE BEANS?

Actually it was his half sister. He was allowed to have a concubine in those days. In fact his wife Sarah suggested it so the can have a baby. G-D told him to kill his son as a test.

Verses?
Feel stupid yet?

He wasn't starving on the throes of death. It goes how much he thought of his birthright that he sold it for bean soup.

Verses?
Feel stupid yet?
Well...actually I think what Rebecca and Jacob was wrong to deceive Issac. And I believe what happened to Jacob's son, Joseph, was a punishment for that.

I don't------it is obvious that Isaac was losing it------and Rebecca was the brains of the family

Verses?
Feel stupid yet?

did Jacob really OWN THOSE BEANS?

Verses?
Feel stupid yet?

He wasn't starving on the throes of death. It goes how much he thought of his birthright that he sold it for bean soup.

yes----that is the moral of the story------it was a kind of test of FORTITUDE------For me one
of the MAJOR themes of Genesis is a BREAK WITH THE RIGHTS OF THE FIRST BORN---
which was actually BABYLONIAN LAW-------in genesis----several times over----POWER GOES
to the BEST-----not entirely dependent on birth order

Verses?
Feel stupid yet?

I don't------it is obvious that Isaac was losing it------and Rebecca was the brains of the family
It still doesn't excuse deceiving her husband. I know that G-D gave her a prophesy that Jacob should get it. However, deceiving your husband and you father is wrong.

Forum List

Back