Academy Awards Are a Farce

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Who cares ? Are you kidding ? I haven't gone to a movie in 32 years. Can you think if anythung more meaningless ?

New movies are not needed. There are tens if thousands of movies out there (most on DVD). Thousands just from 2000 AD and newer.

Awards for what ? Acting ? Playing make believe ? We all act during our lives. This is something nonspecial, that requires little skill. Who hasn't recieved a birthday present, and acted as if they really liked it ?

Isn't it bad enough we have the ludicrous Grammys, with "awards" going to people who couldn't play a chord on a guitar or piano ? Some do nothing more than just talk (often profanity and racism) into a microphone.

How long can you stand seeing unimportant, grossly overpaid people who laughably think they're important ? This is me playing the baroque tune "Rights of Man" * on the mandolin. If any of the actors who just received an "award" can do this, I'll consider them deserving of an award.

* A tune of some difficulty, with 4 continuous triplets, played twice in 2 different octaves, and in the key of G (a bit more difficult key on the mandolin, than the typical/easier keys of D and A)

clip_image002.png

Translated to human speech - "Hollywood I really hate you...but I can't quit you"

Who cares ? Are you kidding ? I haven't gone to a movie in 32 years. Can you think if anythung more meaningless ?

New movies are not needed. There are tens if thousands of movies out there (most on DVD). Thousands just from 2000 AD and newer.

Awards for what ? Acting ? Playing make believe ? We all act during our lives. This is something nonspecial, that requires little skill. Who hasn't recieved a birthday present, and acted as if they really liked it ?

Isn't it bad enough we have the ludicrous Grammys, with "awards" going to people who couldn't play a chord on a guitar or piano ? Some do nothing more than just talk (often profanity and racism) into a microphone.

How long can you stand seeing unimportant, grossly overpaid people who laughably think they're important ? This is me playing the baroque tune "Rights of Man" * on the mandolin. If any of the actors who just received an "award" can do this, I'll consider them deserving of an award.

* A tune of some difficulty, with 4 continuous triplets, played twice in 2 different octaves, and in the key of G (a bit more difficult key on the mandolin, than the typical/easier keys of D and A)

clip_image002.png
Hmm. The video didn't get posted in. Well, maybe I'll try again later.

Translated to human speech - "Hollywood I really hate you...but I can't quit you"
I quit them 32 years ago. Last movie I saw in a movie theater was Sudden Impact with Clint Eastwood & Sondra Locke.

You remember the year, the month, and the day. And the actors in it. There was something I couldn't give a shit about 30 years ago but I don't remember what it was because I couldn't give a shit.

Nobody cares, you have your reruns of Andy Griffith made in Hollywood. Or Perry Mason. Or perhaps Punky Brewster.

Movies are a popular art form. If you don't like them, don't watch them. But what does it matter if other do and if others enjoy the Oscars? Jeez.

Shouldn't you be outside yelling for kids to get off your lawn? And maybe calling the cops to have them arrested if they insult you?

clip_image002.png
DIdn't you start one of these whiny threads on the Oscars last year too?

clip_image002.png
Grumpy old man.
I'm guessing you think modern music is rubbish and kids should turn their baseball caps 'round the right way.

You remember the year, the month, and the day. And the actors in it. There was something I couldn't give a shit about 30 years ago but I don't remember what it was because I couldn't give a shit.
When it's the last you ever did of something, you tend to remember it.

Last edited:
Movies are a popular art form. If you don't like them, don't watch them. But what does it matter if other do and if others enjoy the Oscars? Jeez.

Shouldn't you be outside yelling for kids to get off your lawn? And maybe calling the cops to have them arrested if they insult you?
I don't care at all if others watch or enjoy the Oscars. If they do, more power to them.

I'm just commenting on how I see it, and some people may agree, enjoy or benefit from my commentary. Also, I don't have a lawn (at least not which is mine exclusively)

Grumpy old man.
I'm guessing you think modern music is rubbish and kids should turn their baseball caps 'round the right way.
I didn't know there WAS any music being produced nowadays. :laugh: And if kids wore baseball caps the right way, they could see better without being blinded by the sun.
Form follows function.

I can say you have missed some excellent movies.

There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Lost In Translation
Million Dollar Baby
The Hurt Locker
Mad Max: Fury Road

I haven't watched any of the award shows in a long time, they just don't catch my interest, however I am not a big movie goer, nor am I a TV watcher anymore unless it's a sports team and even then I will skip watching games to do other pastimes.

Glad that people enjoy the variety that the world has to offer.

Forum List

Back