Acrobat Falls 100 Ft In An Accident Before Green Day Concert. Should The Concert Goes On?

Should The Concert Have Gone On?

• Yes

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Yes, with reservations

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • No, with reservations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

• Other, leave comment

• Total voters

james bond

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2015
It was a tragic event at a Mad Cool Festival. Should the concert have continued after the accident? Green Day continued to perform even after the accident. The promoters decided for "security" reasons to let the concert go on. The high-wire acrobat was doing the stunt in a cage and died afterward. The acrobat turned out to be gay.

News article here
Acrobat's heartbreaking message just a day before falling to death

If the acrobat was receiving all reasonable emergency services and if no one else was in danger, then it seems reasonable for the concert to go on to me.

There a phrase in show business that states, "The show must on." It means that regardless of what happens, short of the main attraction not being able to perfrom, the show that has been planned is still to be done for the waiting patrons who paid to see the show.

In this case, I don't think the promoters said that, but decided out of fans rioting for the show to go on. They're claim it was fear that led them to continue.

Green Day is being criticized for performing, but this is what they were paid to do. They were fulfilling their contract.

The performer knew the risks going in, so this was his own decision to take this kind of risk. People who went knew this could have happened.

The public knowledge that the performer was gay came out after the show. I'm not sure if it changes anything.

The Show Must Go On

Empty spaces what are we living for
Abandoned places I guess we know the score
On and on, does anybody know what we are looking for
Another hero, another mindless crime
Behind the curtain, in the pantomime
Hold the line, does anybody want to take it anymore

The show must go on
The show must go on
Yeah
Inside my heart is breaking
My make-up may be flaking
But my smile still stays on

Whatever happens, I'll leave it all to chance
Another heartache, another failed romance
On and on, does anybody know what we are living for?
I guess I'm learning (I'm learning), I must be warmer now
I'll soon be turning (turning, turning, turning), round the corner now
Outside the dawn is breaking
But inside in the dark I'm aching to be free

The show must go on
The show must go on (yeah yeah)
Ooh, inside my heart is breaking
My make-up may be flaking
But my smile still stays on

Songwriters
BRIAN MAY, FREDDIE MERCURY, JOHN DEACON, ROGER TAYLOR

Queen - The Show Must Go On Lyrics | MetroLyrics

It's a tough call. I could see it going either way. I voted yes with reservations.

A person died. But there were thousands there to see a show, many jobs and money at stake, ect...

What purpose would have been served by not having the concert?

Even if the POTUS Donald Trump got into an accident, the show must go on. Sure, it would be a national tragedy but we can't let unrelated matters stop us. Events scheduled after the tragedy may be rescheduled. That is different. Maybe the only unrelated event to stop it would have been 9/11. That was a national tragedy and possible national security incident that could have effected the event in that people would want to know what was going on. The difference with later scheduled events and this one is the event just happens to coincide with what's happening at that moment.

Of course the show SHOULD NOT have continued. I play in a working band and we also use the phrase "The show must go on". But that applies to a band member, short of our singer, having the flu or something along those lines. Certainly that would never apply to a person tragically dying. Continuing in this circumstance was all about the bottom line $$$$. It's absolutely shameful that the show continued. Although I think it's quite likely the band members had no idea what was going on.

It was a tragic event at a Mad Cool Festival. Should the concert have continued after the accident? Green Day continued to perform even after the accident. The promoters decided for "security" reasons to let the concert go on. The high-wire acrobat was doing the stunt in a cage and died afterward. The acrobat turned out to be gay.

News article here
Are we in Satire? "The acrobat turned out to be gay?"

A sign of respect is something that is learned by example. Those in charge should have canceled the concert and explained why they were doing it. They missed their opportunity.

Dedicate the concert to the fallen, and continue.

I voted yes. The show must go on.

Dedicate the concert to the fallen, and continue.

I voted yes. The show must go on.
I've never felt uncomfortable about being outnumbered. It's when I find myself counted with the majority that I have that uneasy feeling and have to question whether it's right or wrong.

A sign of respect is something that is learned by example. Those in charge should have canceled the concert and explained why they were doing it. They missed their opportunity.
There are many ways to show respect. Perhaps a moment of silence before the concert begins would be in order. Canceling the concert as you said is another way to show respect; however, does showing respect need to distrust the lives of the many thousands of people that were there for the concert? An untimely death is tragic for that person that died and his friends and family, but the world usually does not stop when someone dies. Life goes on.

When a football player is terrifically injured and carried off the field, do they stop the game? Do they stop a race if a car crashes and the driver is seriously hurt? The reason we WATCH acrobats and THRILL to their leaps through the air is because we are WAITING for one of them to fall. It is the basic understanding of all high wire and acrobatic acts.
So no, the concert should not have been cancelled. Not so much about $ or the "show must go on" but just them's the breaks.
The most memorable circus I ever saw was a Shriner's circus where the acrobats really weren't very good. Twice they missed their grabs and one of them fell. They had nets, of course, but for that instant when they first miss, there's that stomach jolting thrill. It's just part of our sick perverted minds. I love those acts.

There are many ways to show respect. Perhaps a moment of silence before the concert begins would be in order. Canceling the concert as you said is another way to show respect; however, does showing respect need to distrust the lives of the many thousands of people that were there for the concert? An untimely death is tragic for that person that died and his friends and family, but the world usually does not stop when someone dies. Life goes on.
Life goes on but the concert should not. Shutting it down tells the audience that one life is worth more than the millions of dollars they could have earned by lessening their regard for what happened. They should have given the money back to the concert goers and told them they would have another concert at a later time. The value for human life is eroding within our society and that is something that must change. Soon the animal kingdom will be given more sympathy than humans receive over loss of life. On second thought, perhaps we're already there.

The value for human life is eroding within our society and it is something that must change. Soon the animal kingdom will have more rights than we do.
Where did you get the notion that human life was ever valued in a capitalist, communist or facist society?

Life goes on but the concert should not. Shutting it down tells the audience that one life is worth more than the millions of dollars they could have earned by lessening their regard for what happened. They should have given the money back to the concert goers and told them they would have another concert at a later time. The value for human life is eroding within our society and that is something that must change. Soon the animal kingdom will be given more sympathy than humans receive over loss of life. On second thought, perhaps we're already there.
I guess this is something we will continue to disagree about, which is fine.

I agree that one life is worth more than millions of dollars; however, canceling the concert does not bring that person back. Also, it may mean one less paycheck for a mom or dad to support their families.

Like it or not, the number of people involved and how connected they are to the person that died does make a difference. Suppose a person working for a business that employees 10 people dies. It is likely that business will be closed for the day of the funeral, especially if most if not all the remaining employees will be attending. If a person who works at a factory that employees 10,000 people dies, that factory most likely will stay open the day of the funeral.

If a person dies as the result of an accident on an the interstate, the interstate will be opened up as soon as possible after the accident is resolved, it will not be closed down for a day afterward as a sign of respect.

News article here
Unless the Acrobat was the lead vocalist for the band course the concert should go on.

Green Day concert should fall 1,000 ft. into a gaping hole and take fans with it.

Forum List

Back