airforce now forces you to swear to god

I was told the same thing, that I had to say "so help me god" when I re-enlisted"...I added "ess" under my breath. :lol:
This is what I remember:

§ 502. Enlistment oath: who may administer

(a) Enlistment Oath.— Each person enlisting in an armed force shall take the following oath:
"I, XXXXXXXXXX, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
(b) Who May Administer.— The oath may be taken before the President, the Vice-President, the Secretary of Defense, any commissioned officer, or any other person designated under regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Defense.

The bolded part is what I was thinking about....and yes, I was wrong.....I have completely forgotten the last line...maybe because it didn't mean much to me. and I would not take it seriously. But that doesn't make it any more imposing a religion on someone if they don't believe.

@bodecea

In a Sept. 5 email, Air Force spokeswoman Rose Richeson said the airman is still serving and will continue to do so for at least two more months.

“The airman’s term of service expires in November 2014,” Richeson said. “He has until this time to complete the Department of Defense Form 4 in compliance with the Title 10 USC 502.”

Please acknowledge that you were WRONG when you INSISTED that this airman was no longer in the Air force.

@bodecea

Come on back, don't run from your lies.

Coward
Hardly, since I've already answered...and you just confirmed what I answered.

@bodecea

In a Sept. 5 email, Air Force spokeswoman Rose Richeson said the airman is still serving and will continue to do so for at least two more months.

“The airman’s term of service expires in November 2014,” Richeson said. “He has until this time to complete the Department of Defense Form 4 in compliance with the Title 10 USC 502.”

Please acknowledge that you were WRONG when you INSISTED that this airman was no longer in the Air force.

@bodecea

Come on back, don't run from your lies.

Coward
Hardly, since I've already answered...and you just confirmed what I answered.

Post number please?

@bodecea

I have another couple questions about your service.

What years did you serve, and in what year were you reborn gay?

GIve me a post number where you acknowledged that you were WRONG about this airman not being in the AF still

I am simply trying to get a feel for the years of your service. I joined the Army in 1988 , I will retire in 2014. See how easy that was to answer.

@bodecea

I have another couple questions about your service.

What years did you serve, and in what year were you reborn gay?

GIve me a post number where you acknowledged that you were WRONG about this airman not being in the AF still

I am simply trying to get a feel for the years of your service. I joined the Army in 1988 , I will retire in 2014. See how easy that was to answer.

Will you get a Dog and Pony Show?

When I joined, I knew beforehand what the oath was. I had the choice of saying it and entering the military or not saying it and going home. This was the same every time I re-enlisted over 23 years. Not once was I "forced" to say Under God. That was entirely my choice,.

If this piece of slime doesn't like the oath - don't say it and stay out!

I have to strongly disagree. Not ever one worships God. Requiring person being sworn in to swear to a diety they don't worship is just plain wrong. It should be optional.

Atheist airman must swear so help me God or get out in November Air Force Times airforcetimes.com

Oh the title isnt a lie.

The Air Force used to allow airmen to omit the phrase “so help me God” if they so chose. But an Oct. 30, 2013, update to Air Force Instruction 36-2606, which spells out the active-duty oath of enlistment, dropped that option. Since that quiet update to the AFI, airmen have been required to swear an oath to a deity when they enlist or reenlist.

The idea that any branch requires you to swear an oath to god in order to fight for this nation is an insult to serving in the military since we have people serving of all faiths.

Why allow someone to serve who may lower the standards of Air Force?

Not that the standard is good or bad, it's simply the standard.

First of all, saying "so help me god" isn't inclusive to the Christian faith.
Second, to this atheist I would say, just go with it dude, no one cares or even thinks about whether you're actually swearing aliegence to a god.

Atheist airman must swear so help me God or get out in November Air Force Times airforcetimes.com

Oh the title isnt a lie.

The Air Force used to allow airmen to omit the phrase “so help me God” if they so chose. But an Oct. 30, 2013, update to Air Force Instruction 36-2606, which spells out the active-duty oath of enlistment, dropped that option. Since that quiet update to the AFI, airmen have been required to swear an oath to a deity when they enlist or reenlist.

The idea that any branch requires you to swear an oath to god in order to fight for this nation is an insult to serving in the military since we have people serving of all faiths.

Don't like it, don't join.

Problem solved.

Leftists come up with the silliest "problems".....

Second, to this atheist I would say, just go with it dude, no one cares or even thinks about whether you're actually swearing aliegence to a god.

No shit , its simply tradition. You don't like Air Force tradition? Guess what? Don't join the fucking Air Force, Duh

If onlywe had a commander in chief who would step in an use his power constructively instead of sympathizing with black criminals.
what
You understand Obama is Commander in Chief and can step in and take care of this with one EO, right?
SO why doesnt he?
or let the courts take care of it.....

Of course he does that and you guys cry about how he is a dictator

um civilians courts wouldn't have jurisdiction. Do you understand that?

Now, I think a military panel would rule that the guy does not have t say "under God" , but the COTUS does NOT apply here.

maybe....it should be removed

Personally I believe it should be optional.

In either case though, the ridiculous notion that the first amendment has anything to do with this is just ridiculous.I have a hard time believing anyone who served doesn't remember that one of the first things they tell you is "The military owns you now"

The UCMJ gives many of the same protections as the COTUS, but entirely the same .
well outside of the argument that the government may be promoting one religion over another, and since the Air-force tends to be mostly Fundi Christians its not that far of a leap.

While I object to the term Fundi Christian, let's set that aside for a moment.

Are you aware that UCMJ could be amended t say that ONLY Christians could serve and there isn't a damned thing the ACLU could do about it?

Now, don't think that I am suggesting such a thing, I am not. I am merely setting up a hypothetical. Soldiers in the military have VOLUNTARILY given up their Constitutional rights.
well your hypothetical wouldnt get very far.

Of course it wouldn't. That wasn't the point of bringing it up

i get your point and i know you give up certain rights when you join up....Sister is in the navy, that being said it should be removed.

So....people are expected to just "go with it"....must not mean much then, eh?

Still want an answer.....Are our military expected to give up their Freedom of Religion?

Oh the title isnt a lie.

Don't like it, don't join.

Problem solved.

Leftists come up with the silliest "problems".....
So the military should be exclusive to religious people....those who believe in ONE MALE GOD...now?

i get your point and i know you give up certain rights when you join up....Sister is in the navy, that being said it should be removed.

I think it should be optional . It means nothing either way, if those who want to say it feel better saying it , let them. If those who don't want to say don't. Let them. Either way no one is harmed.

When I joined, I knew beforehand what the oath was. I had the choice of saying it and entering the military or not saying it and going home. This was the same every time I re-enlisted over 23 years. Not once was I "forced" to say Under God. That was entirely my choice,.

no you didnt or you would have known the rule was changed in 2012-2013 and this was not a requirement before that.

So....people are expected to just "go with it"....must not mean much then, eh?

Still want an answer.....Are our military expected to give up their Freedom of Religion?

Still waiting for you to tell me which post you admitted that you were wrong about this Airman not being in AF any more.

I think it should be optional . It means nothing either way, if those who want to say it feel better saying it , let them. If those who don't want to say don't. Let them. Either way no one is harmed.
thats how it was till they changed it.

I have to strongly disagree. Not ever one worships God. Requiring person being sworn in to swear to a diety they don't worship is just plain wrong. It should be optional.

These kinds of issues are relatively new to those of us dealing with the issue for the first time.

But the person who is an atheist is an old hand at this religious thing by the time he or she is called upon to swear in.

They know what is going on and they have a suitable 'work around' before going to such an event.

This person wanted the media attention to help popularize or make us hyper-sensitive to Atheist Rights! (Heaven Forbid!)

Forum List

Back