Alabama Storms took my Mother and Aunt - Updated

Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.

My sincere condolences.

I have not been posting lately, and may not again soon, but I wanted to pass along some sad news for those who can see through my acerbic board persona to the human being living inside (maybe just strollingbones, uscitizen, madeline, and a couple of others?)

The Southernmost storm that ripped through Lake Martin, Eclectic, and Dadeville, Alabama on Wednesday night took direct aim at the family cabin on Lake Martin. I was on the road about 3 hours away when I saw the storm building on radar at around 8:30. I called my mother and her sister (both in their 70's) to inform them they needed to get in the center of the house until the storm had passed. I told them I loved them, and to call me as soon as the storm had passed.

We recovered mom's body around 3am Thursday morning, and finally located my aunt's body beneath the rubble of what once was the 100 year old cabin around 10 the next day. Everything was a total loss, but I find solace in the fact that they went out together, in the place they loved most, in an instant with no suffering.

God has surrounded me with friends and family, and I am confident the two 70 year-old women are 6 again, and playing in the yard in heaven....maybe flirting with their husbands again, and smiling down on all of us, waiting patiently to see us again.

Sometimes God's love hurts deeply, but that's how I know it is true love.

You have my deepest and most heartfelt sympathies Mini.:( God Bless and may His Peace that passes all understanding be your shadow

I have not been posting lately, and may not again soon, but I wanted to pass along some sad news for those who can see through my acerbic board persona to the human being living inside (maybe just strollingbones, uscitizen, madeline, and a couple of others?)

The Southernmost storm that ripped through Lake Martin, Eclectic, and Dadeville, Alabama on Wednesday night took direct aim at the family cabin on Lake Martin. I was on the road about 3 hours away when I saw the storm building on radar at around 8:30. I called my mother and her sister (both in their 70's) to inform them they needed to get in the center of the house until the storm had passed. I told them I loved them, and to call me as soon as the storm had passed.

We recovered mom's body around 3am Thursday morning, and finally located my aunt's body beneath the rubble of what once was the 100 year old cabin around 10 the next day. Everything was a total loss, but I find solace in the fact that they went out together, in the place they loved most, in an instant with no suffering.

God has surrounded me with friends and family, and I am confident the two 70 year-old women are 6 again, and playing in the yard in heaven....maybe flirting with their husbands again, and smiling down on all of us, waiting patiently to see us again.

That's just terrible. I don't know how I'd handle it if that happened to me. But I can tell from the very nice post you made that you are a very strong person inside and you will get through this. Looking forward to seeing you here again after everything is taken care of.

Life is tenuous for us yet we feel like we are indestructible at times. God reaches down his finger and lay waste, destruction and death upon us without warning. The ordeals we must endure while living life on this planet is what makes us who we are. Sudden death is hard because there is no chance to say what needs to be said before our loved ones pass. I lost my brother that way, drowning a couple of years ago. My mother passed last year after a year long battle with Alzheimers. It is hard losing family members but I take comfort in knowing that they lived a long life, my mom 78 years and my brother 53, and I still pray for them. But we must go on, for they would want us to life our lives to its its fullest. They have gone on before us and await the day that we will join them.

God bless you and your family and I feel your loss.

Last edited:
sunrise.jpg.w300h225.jpg

I'm hearing that AL had multiple F-4 tonados.

That's speeds of 206-260 MPH! Described as:

Well-constructed houses leveled; structures with weak foundations blown off some distance; cars thrown and large missiles generated.

Never seen a tornado, but that's some serious destructive force.

God has surrounded me with friends and family, and I am confident the two 70 year-old women are 6 again, and playing in the yard in heaven....maybe flirting with their husbands again

Take care and keep this vision in your heart......
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Sweetie, I know what you are doing and I think you are on the right track. Writing it down is cathartic and helps us to put things into a perspective we normaly couldn't find with just empty talk and condolences. Keep expressing yourself in the typewritten word, or the pen and paper if that's all available.

My unhelpful but heartfelt condolences at this sad time and the certain joy of heaven for your loved ones.

Lynne in Texas

Welcome back Mini and I sincerely hope all is well with your family. Those tornado's affected thousands of lives but your post made it clear how personal these tragedies can be

Well folks, I'm doing surprisingly well. My mother was an absolute nut, so we have spent more time laughing the last few days than crying (though there has been plenty of that). The service is today, and I'm just trying to find the words that she would want everyone to hear, but other than that, my friends have taken care of everything.

It was an F-4 that hit them, so they were gone in an instant. My friends began cleaning what was left, and boxing up what they could find almost immediately after the bodies had been recovered and they could get to the cabin. They have been going non-stop since then. I have some amazing friends who I probably don't deserve.

Liberal, Conservative, today I don't care.....I see a lot of great people on this board, and your thoughts, prayers and support are greatly appreciated. My faith is getting me through, and both are no longer in pain and have no worries. There will be laughter even at the service today, because that is what "The Girls" did....laugh :)

So we are fine, and we are covered. Pray for the other families in Alabama who need help far worse than we do. Tuscaloosa and Birmingham were hammered. And for those who cannot reach family or friends South of Birmingham, the only other deaths I'm aware of were 4 in Eclectic, Alabama, and 1 in Dadeville. I pray that none of those are your people.

Thanks again, and I'll be back in a few days.

David

Forum List

Back