America overwhelmingly wants Term Limits for Congress.

Anyone who watches this and is still against term limits is either an idiot, a member of Congress, or both.

You have identified the unfortunate dilemma we face in trying to GET term limits. The very ass fucks who can GIVE us term limits have a DIRECT interest in NOT having term limits.

We must take this issue on ourselves in a STATE-led constitutional convention, which is challenging on its own, because the state legislators all have aspirations for Congress, and no incentive to change the current system.

the truth is, it won't happen....which you seemed to spell out well....

but we do have the ability to term limit them right now, and that is through the primary....

It's happening in democratic seats.... AOC took a long timer's seat, as just one example.... and another long time Dem is also gonna lose his seat by a younger guy who ran against him.... both shocking results.

it can be done, though not easily.... leg work instead of money.

Yep, and deep state scum like Pelosi and McConnell should be gone.

If they're really in favor of term limits...why don't they primary the congressmen and women out after a few terms?

I mean...we HAVE term limits...we just call them primaries and elections.
so why not apply that to the presidency too?

And the money that these congress critters get in donations should be restricted to the state they live in. No foreign contributions, and no money from out of their home state

There is a real problem with the system when a Congressperson can get elected with basically zero net worth and be a multimillionaire in a just a few years.

We need to dilute the corruption by regulate bloodletting and term limits on congress are the best way.

Why should anyone be elected to more than 2 terms?

To garner money and power?

Deep State assholes like Pelosi and McConnell should be limited in time in Congress.

I'd say two terms for senator, 5 terms for the House.

12 years and 10 years respectively, enough to keep some institutional history.

I'd cut that in half.
Elections for senators are staggered anyway so there is a measure of continuity there. We could do the same with the House so that there would never be a complete turnover of reps in any one election cycle.

Deep State assholes like Pelosi and McConnell should be limited in time in Congress.

I'd cut that in half.
Elections for senators are staggered anyway so there is a measure of continuity there. We could do the same with the House so that there would never be a complete turnover of reps in any one election cycle.

To me that's too short. What we want to get rid of is the 20-30 year wonders, someone with 10 years in the House as a "Senior spokesperson" to me seems about right. same as with Senators.

I'd cut that in half.

To me that's too short. What we want to get rid of is the 20-30 year wonders, someone with 10 years in the House as a "Senior spokesperson" to me seems about right. same as with Senators.

I hear you, but 2 terms seems easy to me.

I'd cut that in half.

The president is limited to 8 years. That's a nice round number

I'd cut that in half.

Two terms, so that's how I ended up with 12 for Senators.

With the House I see 5 terms because gives you 10 years which is bracketed by the 8 for President and the 12 for Senators under my plan, and I like the symmetry.

I'd cut that in half.

With the House I see 5 terms because gives you 10 years which is bracketed by the 8 for President and the 12 for Senators under my plan, and I like the symmetry.

I feel you. I actually believe House terms are too short.

You have identified the unfortunate dilemma we face in trying to GET term limits. The very ass fucks who can GIVE us term limits have a DIRECT interest in NOT having term limits.
The constitution is amended by votes from state legislatures, not Congress. Do the state legislatures benefit from Congress not having term limits?
That is only half of the process.

A constitutional amendment resolution must originate somewhere. It can start in Congress or by a collection of states passing resolutions.

State legislatures are not affected one way or another by Congress having term limits. The people holding seats in state legislatures are politicians who want to advance (see Barak "Present" Obama). Those are the guys who will be hard to convince, because when they run for Congress some day, they don't want term limits when they get there.

Anyone who watches this and is still against term limits is either an idiot, a member of Congress, or both.

We have been over this for the last fifty years and still no consensus....The Supreme Court said it was unConstitutional because it wasn't in the Constitution..

The globalists changed the Senate. That means that the way we elect the Federal Reps and the Federal Senate can be changed. Limit the Federal Reps and repeal the 17th Amendment and let the State Reps and State Senators elect the Federal Senators as it was before.

I'd cut that in half.

8 years not 2 terms.

8 years is enough for a president therefore 8 years is enough for any elected official.

That limit would put put a dent in the corruption

Change the Constitution and that is the ONLY way you get Term Limits on Congress. I personally think they should repel Term limits on the President and have said so since for ever even when Clinton or Obama might have won a third term.
I'm either with this, or term limits for congress as well.

Certainly not the way it is now.

The constitution is amended by votes from state legislatures, not Congress. Do the state legislatures benefit from Congress not having term limits?

A constitutional amendment resolution must originate somewhere. It can start in Congress or by a collection of states passing resolutions.

State legislatures are not affected one way or another by Congress having term limits. The people holding seats in state legislatures are politicians who want to advance (see Barak "Present" Obama). Those are the guys who will be hard to convince, because when they run for Congress some day, they don't want term limits when they get there.
Term limits would actually provide more opportunities for those state legislatures to advance, would it not?

I'd cut that in half.

I feel you. I actually believe House terms are too short.

Hell, if we were going to go through the amendment process we could up it to 3-4 years, but I am a fan of precedent.

What we need to do is return the Senate to the State legislatures, as was intended.

We must take this issue on ourselves in a STATE-led constitutional convention, which is challenging on its own, because the state legislators all have aspirations for Congress, and no incentive to change the current system.

the truth is, it won't happen....which you seemed to spell out well....

but we do have the ability to term limit them right now, and that is through the primary....

It's happening in democratic seats.... AOC took a long timer's seat, as just one example.... and another long time Dem is also gonna lose his seat by a younger guy who ran against him.... both shocking results.

it can be done, though not easily.... leg work instead of money.

Problem with voting is many vote down party lines without batting an eye.

Look at the agreement on this...from both sides of USMB we all agree on term limits....

If they're really in favor of term limits...why don't they primary the congressmen and women out after a few terms?

I mean...we HAVE term limits...we just call them primaries and elections.
so why not apply that to the presidency too?

And the money that these congress critters get in donations should be restricted to the state they live in. No foreign contributions, and no money from out of their home state

There is a real problem with the system when a Congressperson can get elected with basically zero net worth and be a multimillionaire in a just a few years.

We need to dilute the corruption by regulate bloodletting and term limits on congress are the best way.
Do away with Citizens United.

I'd cut that in half.

8 years not 2 terms.

8 years is enough for a president therefore 8 years is enough for any elected official.

That limit would put put a dent in the corruption

Looks like we agree in principle, but not scope. I can live with that.

Term limits would actually provide more opportunities for those state legislatures to advance, would it not?
Sure, that makes sense to you and I, but not to the arrogant, narcissistic ass wipes who actually run for political office. Those motherfuckers think they are the greatest thing to ever grace the halls of every state house. They think they are so great that they can primary anybody standing in their way. I speak from experience with these jackasses.

Do you see my point?

Forum List

Back