Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture

No.

No amount of it is good for the country. In any amount, it is nothing but destructive and detrimental.

Says the guy who belongs to the Cult that didn't let black people become members until 1978 and used to preach that dark skin was a curse from God.

PC isn't about manners; that's just the excuse in which it is cloaked. PC is about controlling the conversation and avoiding the actual topic by putting your target on the defensive. To wit:

"I don't like Obamacare"
"YOU ONLY SAY THAT BECAUSE HE'S BLACK! YOU'RE A RACIST! WHY DO YOU HATE BLACK PEOPLE!"

Funny thing about that. The people who hate, hate, hate ObamaCare forget that the same thing was proposed by the heritage foundation in the 1990's and implemented by Mitt Romney in Massachusets in the Oughts... and no one had a problem with it until the black guy did it.

So... um, yeah, we kind of have to suspect racism. What else you got?

"I didn't like the way there was public nudity in that gay pride parade"
"YOU'RE A HOMOPHOBE! YOU HATE GAYS! YOU'RE PROBABLY A RACIST TOO, RIGHT?"

Oddly, you never hear the same people complain about the lewd behavior at Madi Gras in NOLA.

"She will be here later"
"YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY SHE! ZIR IS A ZIR, NOT A SHE! YOU HATE ALL GENDER QUEERS AND MUST BE PUNISHED!"

Funny, the only people I hear whining about this sort of things are the Right wing nuts.

Here's what I see. I see a brand of toxic masculinity that had emerged, whether it be from the misogynistic InCel movement, to the nuts who are upset that Sci-Fi shows like Star Wars, Star Trek and Doctor Who now have female leads, to a President who OPENLY MOCKS RAPE SURVIVORS.

so really, Stormy Mac, Trump is your guy... he emphasizes all the ugly bigotries you want to embrace... enjoy him.

P.C. may have begun as an attempt at common sense civility, but it has morphed into a monster that resembles fascism more than it does manners, where the noose people apply to others is ever tightening as the practitioners are having to find increasingly trifling matters in order to create a sense of outrage so they can feed their ego. It's really all about the need for reward when it gets down to it as the need to appear virtuous outweighs all else.

The first time I encountered the term politically correct was when I was working in Berkeley in the early eighties. Nobody needed to explain it to me because what it described was so obvious. It has only worsened in the decades since.

Or we are just changing the language to be less insulting.

When I was a kid, they used to refer to kids with cognitive as "Retarded". Then they realized that was cruel, and they used a more technical term of "disabled". That became passe, because it was still demeaning, so they changed the term to "Special Needs".

Similarly, we don't say "Shellshocked" anymore, we say "Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder". We say "African-American" instead of "Colored".

Language changes to reflect sensibilities... but the bigots get upset that they can't be bigots anymore.

The problem with PC is the reaction to words, not the words themselves.

A PC zealot chooses to interpret words in the way that most easily allows them to avoid the point and put their target on the defensive.

That is intellectually dishonest and cowardly.

Wow... Stormy, I know that this might come to a shock to you, but everyone interprets things differently. Most of us just learn how to handle people. We know that the overly sensitive co-worker or associate needs to be handled differently than the intensive and kind of dense coworker.

The real problem is, you just find that your homophobic and Islamophobic bigotry is not really welcomed in the liberal world anymore....

The problem is...we have lost the social consensus of what is good manners and acceptable behavior in a society. That is now labeled PC. Treating a person with dignity is rejected while rudeness, insults and abusive terms are rewarded in the name of opposing PC. When society fails to provide a social check on it, PC culture becomes strengthened.

I completely reject your absurd premise that the sort of lying, deceitfulness, and attempts to intimidate in order to suppress the expression of beliefs that one finds disagreeable, that is all inherent in PC, is in any way consistent with any rational concept of “good manners and acceptable behavior in a society” or treating anyone with dignity. In fact, I find PC, as you are describing and practicing it here, to be insulting and rude in the extreme.

I completely reject your absurd premise that the sort of lying, deceitfulness, and attempts to intimidate in order to suppress the expression of beliefs that one finds disagreeable, that is all inherent in PC, is in any way consistent with any rational concept of “good manners and acceptable behavior in a society” or treating anyone with dignity. In fact, I find PC, as you are describing and practicing it here, to be insulting and rude in the extreme.

And when did your Cult let black folks become full members again?

Says the guy who belongs to the Cult that didn't let black people become members until 1978 and used to preach that dark skin was a curse from God.

And when did your Cult let black folks become full members again?

It's funny how, among your insincere railing against all forms of “bigotry”, that you cannot help yourself, as far as constantly outing yourself as a far worse bigot that what you are constantly falsely accusing others of being.

Or we are just changing the language
Similarly, we don't say "Shellshocked" anymore, we say "Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder". We say "African-American" instead of "Colored".

Language changes to reflect sensibilities... but the bigots get upset that they can't be bigots anymore.

I say shell shocked & PTSD. I also say black instead of African American. Why? Because this is America.

Bigots can be bigots. Why? Because America has free speech & 300 million different personalities. With that many people potentially being offended by speech, the PC culture will eventually make it illegal to do anything but walk around grunting & pointing. But then my Grandma said it ain’t polite to point. And grunting might offend pigs.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, Fuck PC. God I love America!

Gender is what equipment you have to reproduce with. You can try to cite your pc bs cult neo dictionaries all day long. But rationale people know the difference. Once again you will discover this when people vote in a couple weeks.

I have to say it is post like this that keeps me coming back to this forum.

One of the sheep say "check Webster's, you are wrong".

So, when I do so and prove I am 100% correct, the other sheep says something about "pc bs cult neo dictionaries"...the very dictionary the first sheep told me to check!

You just cannot make this shit up folks! This is better than any reality TV show!

How about a non-PC, non-online dictionary that can't be edited with the stroke of a keyboard?

Leave it to the PC crowd to confuse gender with genderless.

Notice the "masculine, feminine, and neuter" part.

T6KtGim.jpg

Thank you for once again showing that gender is a literary term, and should not be used in place of the biological term “sex”.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

trans gender= a person with the genitals of one sex that thinks they are the other sex. Lesbian= a sexual female who prefers other females sexually. Gender and sex are the same thing in today's common language.

Yes, that is true in today’s common language they are,but they should not be.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

that's the only point I was trying to make, thanks for finally understanding.

PC isn't about manners; that's just the excuse in which it is cloaked. PC is about controlling the conversation and avoiding the actual topic by putting your target on the defensive. To wit:

"I don't like Obamacare"
"YOU ONLY SAY THAT BECAUSE HE'S BLACK! YOU'RE A RACIST! WHY DO YOU HATE BLACK PEOPLE!"

"Black fathers are disproportionately absent from the home"
"YOU'RE A RACIST! YOU HATE BLACKS! WHY DO YOU HATE BLACKS!"

"I strongly disagree with your political opinion"
"THAT'S HATE SPEECH! I AM TRIGGERED! YOU MUST BE SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY! I NEED A SAFE SPACE!"

"Where are you from?"
"THAT'S A MICROAGGRESSION! WHY DO YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT MY ETHNICITY!"

"I don't know who to believe in this Kavanaugh story"
"YOU SUPPORT RAPE! YOU HATE WOMEN! WHY DO YOU SUPPORT RAPE! YOU'RE PROBABLY A RAPIST!"

"Something needs to be done about the flow of illegals into this country"
"YOU HATE MEXICANS! YOU'RE A RACIST! WHY DO YOU HATE MEXICANS!"

"You look nice today!"
"THAT IS TOXIC MASCULINITY! THAT IS SEXUALLY AGGRESSIVE! ARE YOU A RAPIST!"

"I am appalled by this latest jihadist atrocity"
"YOU'RE AN ISLAMOPHOBE! YOU HATE ALL MUSLIMS! CHRISTIANS ARE JUST AS BAD!"

"She will be here later"
"YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY SHE! ZIR IS A ZIR, NOT A SHE! YOU HATE ALL GENDER QUEERS AND MUST BE PUNISHED!"

Are we really going to pretend this stuff doesn't happen regularly, and usually by essentially the same people?
How are any of those examples of political correctness?
Taken as a whole, all of them.

You really didn't know that?
No, I didn't. I don't know what that is. This, to me, is political correctness.

1. The BBC has dropped the use of the terms Before Christ (BC) and Anno Domini (AD) on one of their programmes and decided that the terms 'Before Common Era' / 'Common Era' are more appropriate

2. The European Parliament introduced proposals to outlaw titles stating marital status such as 'Miss' and 'Mrs' so as not to cause offence. It also meant that 'Madame' and 'Mademoiselle', 'Frau' and 'Fraulein' and 'Senora' and 'Senorita' would be banned.

3. Throughout several US councils and organisations, any terms using the word 'man' as a prefix or suffix have been ruled as not being politically correct. 'Manhole' is now referred to as a 'utility' or 'maintenance' hole.

4. Loveable cartoon rogue Dennis the Menace has been given a politically correct make over. BBC chiefs decided to take away his edge in the remake. Gone are his bombs, catapult, water pistol and pea shooter - and in their place is a simple boyish grin.

5. Spotted Dick - a classic English dessert has been renamed to avoid embarrassment. The traditional pud Spotted Dick has been given the title Spotted Richard, after UK council bosses feared the original name might cause offence.

6. A school in Seattle renamed its Easter eggs 'spring spheres' to avoid causing offence to people who did not celebrate Easter.

7. A UK council has banned the term 'brainstorming' – and replaced it with 'thought showers', as local lawmakers thought the term may offend epileptics.

8. A UK recruiter was stunned when her job advert for 'reliable' and 'hard-working' applicants was rejected by the job centre as it could be offensive to unreliable and lazy people.

9. Gillingham fans had begun to fondly offer celery to their goalkeeper, ‘Big Fat’ Jim Stannard. The club, however, decided that celery could result in health and safety issues inside the ground. As a result, fans were subjected to celery searches with the ultimate sanction for possession of celery allegedly being a life ban.’

10. In 2007, Santa Clauses in Sydney, Australia, were banned from saying 'Ho Ho Ho'. Their employer, the recruitment firm Westaff (that supplies hundreds of Santas across Australia), allegedly told all trainees that 'ho ho ho' could frighten children, and be derogatory to women. Why ? Because 'Ho Ho Ho' is too close to the American (not Australian, mind you) slang for prostitute.

11. Some US schools now have a 'holiday tree' every at Christmas, rather than a Christmas tree.
11 Examples Of Political Correctness Gone Mad

so...
someone decides to call a christmas tree a holiday tree and you go wacko?

happy holidays to you, too!

`
You are most likely correct. What is Politically Correct picks up different meanings, including political ideology, for a host of different reasons. As the article points out, there are many factors involved.

Political Correctness is not half the problem as identity politics.
Identity politics is dividing this nation into many factions, also known as tribalism.
All of this is encouraged by the establishment who very much want to keep Americans divided and fighting each other rather than paying attention to the real enemy: Corporatism. WHich has now wholly corrupted the federal government and the media.

View attachment 222545

so, corporations are inherently evil? evil and they want to destroy the country? without the country corporations could not exist and shareholders would lose their money. Your real issue is envy and jealousy of people who have more than you do. Why cant you admit that?

What, are you on drugs or something?
Please point to where I said all corporations are evil, and inherently so.
After not being able to do that, please convince me that our government is not corrupted by the larger corporations and their interest. To a point, that they absolutely now represent them more than us.

here is what you said
"All of this is encouraged by the establishment who very much want to keep Americans divided and fighting each other rather than paying attention to the real enemy: Corporatism. WHich has now wholly corrupted the federal government and the media."

feel free to correct it if you misspoke, otherwise own it.

Ok....so where in that do you find that I am saying all corporations are inherently evil?
Are you unfamiliar with the term Corporatism?
Let me help...

Cor·po·rat·ism
ˈkôrp(ə)rəˌtizəm/
noun
noun: corporatism
  1. the control of a state or organization by large interest groups.

I fully understand the definition of corporatism. You implied that the government was corrupt because of corporate control. I think it is corrupt because to the greed of the lifetime politicians who are milking the corporations and the taxpayers. What we need is term limits, age limits, and income limits for all elected officials. Corporatism is the result, not the cause.

"I don't like Obamacare"

"THAT'S HATE SPEECH! I AM TRIGGERED! YOU MUST BE SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY! I NEED A SAFE SPACE!"

"Where are you from?"

"YOU SUPPORT RAPE! YOU HATE WOMEN! WHY DO YOU SUPPORT RAPE! YOU'RE PROBABLY A RAPIST!"

"You look nice today!"

"She will be here later"

Are we really going to pretend this stuff doesn't happen regularly, and usually by essentially the same people?

1. The BBC has dropped the use of the terms Before Christ (BC) and Anno Domini (AD) on one of their programmes and decided that the terms 'Before Common Era' / 'Common Era' are more appropriate

2. The European Parliament introduced proposals to outlaw titles stating marital status such as 'Miss' and 'Mrs' so as not to cause offence. It also meant that 'Madame' and 'Mademoiselle', 'Frau' and 'Fraulein' and 'Senora' and 'Senorita' would be banned.

3. Throughout several US councils and organisations, any terms using the word 'man' as a prefix or suffix have been ruled as not being politically correct. 'Manhole' is now referred to as a 'utility' or 'maintenance' hole.

4. Loveable cartoon rogue Dennis the Menace has been given a politically correct make over. BBC chiefs decided to take away his edge in the remake. Gone are his bombs, catapult, water pistol and pea shooter - and in their place is a simple boyish grin.

5. Spotted Dick - a classic English dessert has been renamed to avoid embarrassment. The traditional pud Spotted Dick has been given the title Spotted Richard, after UK council bosses feared the original name might cause offence.

6. A school in Seattle renamed its Easter eggs 'spring spheres' to avoid causing offence to people who did not celebrate Easter.

7. A UK council has banned the term 'brainstorming' – and replaced it with 'thought showers', as local lawmakers thought the term may offend epileptics.

8. A UK recruiter was stunned when her job advert for 'reliable' and 'hard-working' applicants was rejected by the job centre as it could be offensive to unreliable and lazy people.

9. Gillingham fans had begun to fondly offer celery to their goalkeeper, ‘Big Fat’ Jim Stannard. The club, however, decided that celery could result in health and safety issues inside the ground. As a result, fans were subjected to celery searches with the ultimate sanction for possession of celery allegedly being a life ban.’

10. In 2007, Santa Clauses in Sydney, Australia, were banned from saying 'Ho Ho Ho'. Their employer, the recruitment firm Westaff (that supplies hundreds of Santas across Australia), allegedly told all trainees that 'ho ho ho' could frighten children, and be derogatory to women. Why ? Because 'Ho Ho Ho' is too close to the American (not Australian, mind you) slang for prostitute.

11. Some US schools now have a 'holiday tree' every at Christmas, rather than a Christmas tree.

so...

Was the intent of my post hidden or something?

I say shell shocked & PTSD. I also say black instead of African American. Why? Because this is America.

Bigots can be bigots. Why? Because America has free speech & 300 million different personalities. With that many people potentially being offended by speech, the PC culture will eventually make it illegal to do anything but walk around grunting & pointing. But then my Grandma said it ain’t polite to point. And grunting might offend pigs.

if you truly support free speech then you must defend PC speech......

if you have a right to say FUCK PC then they have a right to say "PC ALL THE WAY"....

else you are no better.....

`I may lean left but that hardly means I'm going to roll over for PC, especially if I feel it's being forced.

The PC Culture instigates the slow erosion of public discourse and individual initiative.

We currently hear stories about people being harassed in public places due to their political expressions. The right to speak and protest are certainly acceptable, but the popularity of such harassment based solely on political affiliation, with no instigation has increased. You may ask why this is so popular, and in ways the PC Culture has helped provide for this. The PC Culture has neutered the public that desires to be kind and respectful to point that they will not defend themselves and/or others in public as easily as they once did.

I don't have to support Sarah Sanders' political ideas or job, to stand up and tell some jackass harassing her at a restaurant to shut the fuck up while I am eating. If they want to get ugly about it, I don't have to call the police to fix things. If the situation doesn't improve, I can let the management know my meal will be complementary.

There is a place and time for everything. People unable or unwilling to defend their little place in this world, is a sign of how the PC Culture just makes the weak weaker.

"I don't like Obamacare"

"Where are you from?"

"You look nice today!"

"She will be here later"

so...

Was the intent of my post hidden or something?

No, but the ridiculousness of it sailed right over that one's head.

`
...."According to the report, 25 percent of Americans are traditional or devoted conservatives, and their views are far outside the American mainstream. Some 8 percent of Americans are progressive activists, and their views are even less typical. By contrast, the two-thirds of Americans who don’t belong to either extreme constitute an “exhausted majority.” Their members “share a sense of fatigue with our polarized national conversation, a willingness to be flexible in their political viewpoints, and a lack of voice in the national conversation.”

Most members of the “exhausted majority,” and then some, dislike political correctness. Among the general population, a full 80 percent believe that “political correctness is a problem in our country.” Even young people are uncomfortable with it, including 74 percent ages 24 to 29, and 79 percent under age 24. On this particular issue, the woke are in a clear minority across all ages"
.... Source
`
`

Hollywood and the entertainment media are the ones behind pushing the PC culture. This is followed by a heavy hand from politicians and others to forcefully conform to a new order. However well intentioned as it may seem to be, I don't like to be forced to do, think or say anything. Some things are common sense; don't say hurtful things to people. Be kind to people. But when it comes to forcing me, or anyone else for that matter, to accept things they don't agree with in the name of political correctness, that's going to cause blowback. The election tump is one example of this.

I may lean left but that hardly means I'm going to roll over for PC, especially if I feel it's being forced.
`

People dislike the PC culture until someone kneels during a football game and then they all of a sudden become very, VERY PC.

if you truly support free speech then you must defend PC speech......

if you have a right to say FUCK PC then they have a right to say "PC ALL THE WAY"....

else you are no better.....

PC by definition is the restriction of free speech. It bans certain opinions from being able to speak freely.

`
...."According to the report, 25 percent of Americans are traditional or devoted conservatives, and their views are far outside the American mainstream. Some 8 percent of Americans are progressive activists, and their views are even less typical. By contrast, the two-thirds of Americans who don’t belong to either extreme constitute an “exhausted majority.” Their members “share a sense of fatigue with our polarized national conversation, a willingness to be flexible in their political viewpoints, and a lack of voice in the national conversation.”

Most members of the “exhausted majority,” and then some, dislike political correctness. Among the general population, a full 80 percent believe that “political correctness is a problem in our country.” Even young people are uncomfortable with it, including 74 percent ages 24 to 29, and 79 percent under age 24. On this particular issue, the woke are in a clear minority across all ages"
.... Source
`
`

Hollywood and the entertainment media are the ones behind pushing the PC culture. This is followed by a heavy hand from politicians and others to forcefully conform to a new order. However well intentioned as it may seem to be, I don't like to be forced to do, think or say anything. Some things are common sense; don't say hurtful things to people. Be kind to people. But when it comes to forcing me, or anyone else for that matter, to accept things they don't agree with in the name of political correctness, that's going to cause blowback. The election tump is one example of this.

I may lean left but that hardly means I'm going to roll over for PC, especially if I feel it's being forced.
`

People dislike the PC culture until someone kneels during a football game and then they all of a sudden become very, VERY PC.

patriotism and PC are two distinctly different things. We stand in respect of the flag, the anthem, and those who died to protect our constitutional rights. We kneel only to God.

`
To me, kneeling is a greater sign of respect than standing. All football players should kneel during the anthem. Problem solved.
`

if that was the norm, there would be a few who would stand with a raised fist.

Forum List

Back