America's most hated woman prior to Pelosi.

How did you manage to sit out the war?

First a student deferment, and then they went lottery, and I was just lucky.
But I doubt they would have taken me.
I was already very politically active and had been named on a number of grand jury investigations into subversive activities.

First a student deferment, and then they went lottery, and I was just lucky.
But I doubt they would have taken me.
I was already very politically active and had been named on a number of grand jury investigations into subversive activities.

Good thing for you. If you had been drafted and later sent to VN and assigned to my platoon, you would just be a name on a wall.

P.S. The Jane Fonda story is true.

Wrong.
If it were 2 different kingdoms, then how could the French claim both and be defeated from both at the same time?

And yes, Ho Chi Minh was elected premier in 1945. It is recorded history.

All war has been illegal since 1945 except in immediate defense, or if authorized by the UN.

Diem was never legal, and took over by military coup.
He never allowed fair elections.

The US constitution gave Congress the authority to ratify the UN Charter is they wanted.
And when Congress DID ratify the UN charter, it BECAME US law.
Treaties always become US law when ratified.
Because they claimed colonial rights over both.
They were not defeated by both they were defeated by the communist viet minh.

No he was not. It is not recorded history at all.

He was neevr elected.

Wrong the un does not supercede the US constitution and allowed for Minhs war of aggression against south vietnam

Wrong the UN charter is not US law. The constitution is supreme law. No treaty supercedes the constitution

One little story that I've posted before in another thread.

Jane Fonda was taken to the Hanoi Hilton to meet American prisoners. Few of them would shake her hand. A few that did passed notes to her. When she finished trooping the line, walked up to a NVA officer, handed him the notes and asked, "What am I supposed to do with these." That night one American was tortured and beaten into permanent disability. Another American was beaten to death.

Now, do you wonder why Vietnam veterans hate Jane Fonda and her feeble apology?
That story has been debunked. None of the POWs corroborated it.

However some of the people with her on the trip did use public information records to obtain the names and service records of the pows. Some pows who had been lying to their captors about their military background were subjected to even more severe torture and abuse as a result.

Good thing for you. If you had been drafted and later sent to VN and assigned to my platoon, you would just be a name on a wall.

P.S. The Jane Fonda story is true.

If I were at risk I would have enlisted and gone the 3 year route in someplace safe, like Germany or Korea.
Why do you think the story is true?
What sort of notes could POWs give Jane other than a note to relatives that they already had mail privileges to?
I don't see the story as having any any point?
If they gave notes about mistreatment, why would the guards care?

I knew hundreds of VVAW, (Vietnam Veterans Against the War), and saw thousands more at demonstrations, and they were not drunks or degenerates.
It was treason for the US to go into Vietnam and get US draftees killed.
And since John Kerry is still doing well in US politics, it seems to me they did fine.
The rabble that Fonda and Kerry were recruiting for their "winter soldiers movement" were never vetted. Anybody could have walked in off the street and claimed to be a Vet and told an outrageous lie. Fonda and Kerry counted on the media to turn it into a political movement but the real Vets didn't want to have anything to do with it.

The rabble that Fonda and Kerry were recruiting for their "winter soldiers movement" were never vetted. Anybody could have walked in off the street and claimed to be a Vet and told an outrageous lie. Fonda and Kerry counted on the media to turn it into a political movement but the real Vets didn't want to have anything to do with it.
All true.

Also true for organizations like Vietnam Veterans against the War ( VVAW ) literally anyone with a pulse could join and did, Most were not actual veterans.

View attachment 449531
Actress Jane Fonda, who earned the nickname “Hanoi Jane” when she visited North Vietnam during the height of the Vietnam War and posed for photographs alongside weapons, will be receiving the Cecil B. Demille Award at the Golden Globes this year. She will be receiving this award amid Democrats decrying treason and sedition against the United States.

View attachment 449533
And here I was thinking libs were no longer fond of traitors.
CAN'T FORGET THIS PRIMADONA PATTY HEARST SLA
1630899740427.png

The SLA was a left-wing revolutionary group that considered themselves a vanguard army and the leaders of the black revolution, even though only one of its members were black.

ph4-2

Because they claimed colonial rights over both.
They were not defeated by both they were defeated by the communist viet minh.

No he was not. It is not recorded history at all.

He was neevr elected.

Wrong the un does not supercede the US constitution and allowed for Minhs war of aggression against south vietnam

Wrong the UN charter is not US law. The constitution is supreme law. No treaty supercedes the constitution

Vietnam became unified with both north and south as one country, in 1802.

{...

Unified era (1802–1858)​

After Nguyễn Ánh established the Nguyễn dynasty in 1802, he tolerated Catholicism and employed some Europeans in his court as advisors. His successors were more conservative Confucians and resisted Westernization. The next Nguyễn emperors, Minh Mạng, Thiệu Trị, and Tự Đức brutally suppressed Catholicism and pursued a 'closed door' policy, perceiving the Westerners as a threat, following events such as the Lê Văn Khôi revolt when a French missionary, Fr. Joseph Marchand, was accused of encouraging local Catholics to revolt in an attempt to install a Catholic emperor. Catholics, both Vietnamese and foreign-born, were persecuted in retaliation. Trade with the West slowed during this period. There were frequent uprisings against the Nguyễns, with hundreds of such events being recorded in the annals. These acts were soon being used as excuses for France to invade Vietnam.
...}

The French then invaded in 1858.

{...
The French colonial empire was heavily involved in Vietnam in the 19th century; often French intervention was undertaken in order to protect the work of the Paris Foreign Missions Society in the country. In response to many incidents in which Catholic missionaries were persecuted, harassed and in some executed, and also to expand French influence in Asia, Napoleon III of France ordered Rigault de Genouilly with 14 French gunships to attack the port of Đà Nẵng (Tourane) in 1858. The attack caused significant damage, yet failed to gain any foothold, in the process being afflicted by the humidity and tropical diseases. De Genouilly decided to sail south and captured the poorly defended city of Gia Định (present-day Ho Chi Minh City). From 1859 to 1867, French troops expanded their control over all six provinces on the Mekong delta and formed a colony known as Cochinchina.
...}

So Vietnam had been unified since 1802 until it was divided for election purposed in 1954.

But I conceded that I can't find an election for Ho Chi MInh.

But you are wrong about what the Constitution does and what the UN charter being ratified by congress means.
The Constitution does not say what US law is, but instead just defines what federal jurisdiction and authority encompasses.
And definitely congress does have jurisdiction to legislate restrictions on war if it wants.
And when Congress ratifies any treaty, it becomes US law.
So when Congress ratified the UN Charter, it then became US law, and made any US aggressive war illegal, by US law.
The UN has nothing to do with that. It is just that if the UN authorizes the use of force, as it did in Korea, than the restriction against US aggressive use of force no longer is a restriction.

1. I 1st thought the OP was talking about Hillary.....

2. Then I thought the OP was talking about VP Harris, who recently took a picture with the leader if Viet Nam in front of a giant picture of Ho Chi Minh...

No, Congress decides what is legal, as long as it is within the powers delegated to Congress by the Constitution.
And Congress does have the delegated power to decide what makes war legal or not, according to the Constitution.
So when Congress passed legislation to make war illegal except in defense from an attack, they made military intervention like Vietnam, totally illegal.
Both the

Why do you think the story is true?
What sort of notes could POWs give Jane other than a note to relatives that they already had mail privileges to?
I don't see the story as having any any point?
If they gave notes about mistreatment, why would the guards care?

"If I were at risk I would have enlisted and gone the 3 year route in someplace safe, like Germany or Korea."
I served in Vietnam with soldiers who did that. The Army might indeed send you where you wanted to go but they do not guarantee to leave you there and might well transfer you to Vietnam or anywhere else at it's discretion. At the time I believe a normal tour in Germany or Korea was 1 year. Fairly standard to spend a year in your requested assignment and then to be assigned to Vietnam. In your case I suspect you would have spent your enlistment being recycled through basic training and/or in the brig. Not fun.

The NVA and VC killed a lot more of their people than Americans did. Terrorism and war crimes were standard operating procedure for both the NVA and VC. During Tet the VC were rounding up and executing thousands of South Vietnamese civilians.

Okay, and how does this relate to my comment?

Vietnam became unified with both north and south as one country, in 1802.

{...

Unified era (1802–1858)​

After Nguyễn Ánh established the Nguyễn dynasty in 1802, he tolerated Catholicism and employed some Europeans in his court as advisors. His successors were more conservative Confucians and resisted Westernization. The next Nguyễn emperors, Minh Mạng, Thiệu Trị, and Tự Đức brutally suppressed Catholicism and pursued a 'closed door' policy, perceiving the Westerners as a threat, following events such as the Lê Văn Khôi revolt when a French missionary, Fr. Joseph Marchand, was accused of encouraging local Catholics to revolt in an attempt to install a Catholic emperor. Catholics, both Vietnamese and foreign-born, were persecuted in retaliation. Trade with the West slowed during this period. There were frequent uprisings against the Nguyễns, with hundreds of such events being recorded in the annals. These acts were soon being used as excuses for France to invade Vietnam.
...}

The French then invaded in 1858.

{...
The French colonial empire was heavily involved in Vietnam in the 19th century; often French intervention was undertaken in order to protect the work of the Paris Foreign Missions Society in the country. In response to many incidents in which Catholic missionaries were persecuted, harassed and in some executed, and also to expand French influence in Asia, Napoleon III of France ordered Rigault de Genouilly with 14 French gunships to attack the port of Đà Nẵng (Tourane) in 1858. The attack caused significant damage, yet failed to gain any foothold, in the process being afflicted by the humidity and tropical diseases. De Genouilly decided to sail south and captured the poorly defended city of Gia Định (present-day Ho Chi Minh City). From 1859 to 1867, French troops expanded their control over all six provinces on the Mekong delta and formed a colony known as Cochinchina.
...}

So Vietnam had been unified since 1802 until it was divided for election purposed in 1954.

But I conceded that I can't find an election for Ho Chi MInh.

But you are wrong about what the Constitution does and what the UN charter being ratified by congress means.
The Constitution does not say what US law is, but instead just defines what federal jurisdiction and authority encompasses.
And definitely congress does have jurisdiction to legislate restrictions on war if it wants.
And when Congress ratifies any treaty, it becomes US law.
So when Congress ratified the UN Charter, it then became US law, and made any US aggressive war illegal, by US law.
The UN has nothing to do with that. It is just that if the UN authorizes the use of force, as it did in Korea, than the restriction against US aggressive use of force no longer is a restriction.
Before 1802 it was seperate Kingdoms for centuries.

Minh had no more right to impose unity than the french did.

I am correct. The UN charter is not US law the constitution IS LAW.

No treaty overrides the constitution especially the authority to wage war.

No US law is illegak by US law.

I knew hundreds of VVAW, (Vietnam Veterans Against the War), and saw thousands more at demonstrations, and they were not drunks or degenerates.
It was treason for the US to go into Vietnam and get US draftees killed.
And since John Kerry is still doing well in US politics, it seems to me they did fine.
VVAW were overwhelmingly drunk and drug addict hippies. Few of them were even veterans,

It was legal and justified to go into vietnam even if not a wise decision.

Vietnam was seperate kinhdoms going back centuries.

The two nations were fordibly unified a couppld of times but no they were not one nation

And many countries are like that. The US, for example, has always had a north/south split on the east coast. Does that mean the Civil War wasn't a civil war?

And many countries are like that. The US, for example, has always had a north/south split on the east coast. Does that mean the Civil War wasn't a civil war?
This is not the same thing.

The US was one country before and after the civil war. Vietnam was seperate kingdoms ( not the same nation ) for centuries.

Minh was the aggtressor invading a neighboring country

Forum List

Back