Analyzing A Practical Minimum Wage

Using data by the U.S. BLS, the average productivity per American worker has increased 400% since 1950. One way to look at that is that it should only take one-quarter the work hours, or 11 hours per week, to afford the same standard of living as a worker in 1950 (or our standard of living should be 4 times higher). Is that the case? Obviously not. Someone is profiting, it’s just not the average American worker. -Source

You say productivity has increased 400%, but did you know the minimum wage has increased nearly 900% since 1950?

Now adjust for inflation.

So this must mean everyone else is this poor at shopping, right? i mean your entire fucking premise here is in creating a blanket benchmark on the habits of individuals. Yet you can only manage to cite you own personal experiences and then want to STILL prescribe a national mandate that coincides with it.

Do even know what you're saying?

'tarded, son. 'tarded.

That article has nothing to do with what I pay for a pair of boots. That was my own example. And this article is about a lot more than the cost of a pair of boots dude.

And yet the morons who came up with the figures put so much unrealism, unrealism that you agree with and defend here, in the numbers it is absurd. I noticed you will NOT touch the monthly 400 USD of misc they threw in.

I have to go now. My brain is actually beginning to dumb in this conversation.

So this must mean everyone else is this poor at shopping, right? i mean your entire fucking premise here is in creating a blanket benchmark on the habits of individuals. Yet you can only manage to cite you own personal experiences and then want to STILL prescribe a national mandate that coincides with it.

'tarded, son. 'tarded.

That article has nothing to do with what I pay for a pair of boots. That was my own example. And this article is about a lot more than the cost of a pair of boots dude.

And yet the morons who came up with the figures put so much unrealism, unrealism that you agree with and defend here, in the numbers it is absurd. I noticed you will NOT touch the monthly 400 USD of misc they threw in.

Seems reasonable to me that a person put some money aside for emergencies as well as goods and services which were not calculated in the main entries. And that was also explained in the article you didn't read.

Using data by the U.S. BLS, the average productivity per American worker has increased 400% since 1950. One way to look at that is that it should only take one-quarter the work hours, or 11 hours per week, to afford the same standard of living as a worker in 1950 (or our standard of living should be 4 times higher). Is that the case? Obviously not. Someone is profiting, it’s just not the average American worker. -Source

You say productivity has increased 400%, but did you know the minimum wage has increased nearly 900% since 1950?

You adjust for inflation... Is it only one-sided? I'm sorry - this so pointless and your argument so ignorant.

'tarded, son. 'tarded.

Seems reasonable to me that a person put some money aside for emergencies as well as goods and services which were not calculated in the main entries. And that was also explained in the article you didn't read.

I did read it. Here is what the authors have to say about 400USD expenditures in one month:

MISCELLANEOUS - $400

The items we have covered here are only the most basic cost of living needs, and have been conservatively estimated so that only the most frugal person could get by on these amounts. These figures do not account for a wide range of unexpected and miscellaneous expenses. Having one's car stolen, for example, could be absolutely devastating to someone who was only carrying basic insurance on their vehicle. Things like holiday gifts, fitness center dues, vacations, student-loan payments and educational expenses, furniture, haircuts, life insurance, and more have all been left out here. Having a child to care for, would dramatically increase expenses as well. Website eHow recommends adding 15% to any budget to allow for unforeseen and unexpected purchases. So we will do that here.

Read more: Analyzing a Practical Minimum Wage Minimum Wage Workers Union of America

:lmao:

You're a 'tard, son. Dismissed. Didn't you say

On this page, we will itemize a sample budget for a single person in order to analyze what a fair standard would be for a minimum-wage worker.

I'm just shy of middle class for my demographic and I dont even have a fucking gym membership. I workout at home and run on the streets.

You adjust for inflation... Is it only one-sided? I'm sorry - this so pointless and your argument so ignorant.

That's because you are trying to compare apples and friggin pinwheels.

Are you unable to see the absurdity in your own argument? You want to move single, minimum wage earners into the 74th percentile of single earners?

Correct. Especially considering the 90 percent of American workers make less than the min wage standard of 1950.

That's because you are trying to compare apples and friggin pinwheels.

So it is one-sided? Thank you for clarifying your ridiculousness.

Correct. Especially considering the 90 percent of American workers make less than the min wage standard of 1950.

total liberal idiot illiterate!! Todays workers are rich by comparison!! Free education and state of the art health care are worth $80,000 for a family of four!!

ADVANCED UTILITIES - $150

While some may argue that things like internet access, cellphones, and television are not necessities, they are still quite important to a productive member of society. Television may wind up as a worker's only form of entertainment,

Read more: Analyzing a Practical Minimum Wage Minimum Wage Workers Union of America

Not with 400 USD in misc charges it wont be the only entertainment.

This is absolutely the worst "thought out" debate for a living wage I've seen yet. This is simply pathetic and requires one to downgrade their own logic to participate.

I'm sorry I did it too.

Are you unable to see the absurdity in your own argument? You want to move single, minimum wage earners into the 74th percentile of single earners?

You are a moron. By what measure? Your consumption-based measure? Talk about comparing apples to pinwheels.

Does the guy currently earning $17.47/hr get a 140% raise as well to $42.10/hr?

Tim Taylor said it best:

"Whatever one’s feelings about the good or bad effects of raising the minimum wage, it seems fair to say that those effects will be disproportionately felt by a relatively small share of the workforce, disproportionately young and part-time, and disproportionately in southern states."

The facts are these:
  • 3.3 million American workers paid minimum wage or less
  • Minimum wage workers represent 2.4% of the total workforce, 4.3% of the hourly workforce
  • Minimum wage worker tend to be younger:
    • 24.2% are ages 16-19
    • 26.2% ages 20-24
  • Roughly 2/3 or 2.1 million were part-time

total liberal idiot illiterate!! Todays workers are rich by comparison!! Free education and state of the art health care are worth $80,000 for a family of four!!

I would rather see a worker paid a living wage, to pay for their own education and healthcare.

But what good is free education if you can't get to school because you are working 80 hours a week to keep the lights turned on? State of the art healthcare? I have a Cadillac plan and healthcare still sucks. Life expectancy has begun to fall for the first time in American history for certain demographics.

It's amazing what these types will consider necessity when concocting a sales pitch for a living wage.

"TV is ver important to a productive member of society."

:lmao:

I cancelled cable service years ago it's such an unproductive endeavor.

ADVANCED UTILITIES - $150

While some may argue that things like internet access, cellphones, and television are not necessities, they are still quite important to a productive member of society. Television may wind up as a worker's only form of entertainment,

Not with 400 USD in misc charges it wont be the only entertainment.

This is absolutely the worst "thought out" debate for a living wage I've seen yet. This is simply pathetic and requires one to downgrade their own logic to participate.

I'm sorry I did it too.

Paying for tampons and renter's insurance is not entertainment.

Forum List

Back