Another Christian baker targeted for abuse

Can they even file charges on them in Texas? I cant even find their PA laws lol..
No, in Texas you have the right to refuse service to anybody for any reason, as long as there isn't a federal law against it.

So in Texas a Christian Baker can refuse to serve gays.

But a Gay Florist is required by Federal law to provide service to a Christian Baker.

Gee isn't that lovely.

>>>>

Can they even file charges on them in Texas? I cant even find their PA laws lol..
No, in Texas you have the right to refuse service to anybody for any reason, as long as there isn't a federal law against it.

But a Gay Florist is required by Federal law to provide service to a Christian Baker.

Gee isn't that lovely.

>>>>
IKR? We should just do away with PA laws. Period. That way, it is actually equal :)

IKR? We should just do away with PA laws. Period. That way, it is actually equal :)

Here are my thoughts...

Three generations ago there were...

1. Areas of the country where black people couldn't rent a room for the night when traveling.

2. Areas of the country where black people traveling couldn't buy gas from white station owners.

3. Areas of the country where blacks couldn't eat unless they could find a black's only food establishment.

4. And we had systematic discrimination against minorities in terms of how government functioned, such as segregated mass transit (buses, trains, etc.), schools, law enforcement, etc.

5. Even segregation in the military.​

In those days such things were commonplace, but society has changed in the last 60 years and changed a lot. There has been a "corporatisation" where you can't spit without finding a company gas station, movie theater, restaurateur, motel/hotel, etc. Just because we repeal Public Accommodation laws, doesn't mean that things are going to go back to the way they were 3-generations ago. And there are a number of factors that impact this:

1. We are much more mobile society. People routinely travel in a manner unprecedented then both temporary and "permanent" relocation's out of the area they grew up in.

2. We are more informed society and information is much more available today about how a business conducts it self in term so taking care of customers we have Criag's list, Angie's list, Yelp, and a plethora of hotel, restaurant, and review sites for any type of business and it's not just the discriminated against who would choose not to associate with such a business. In addition I fully support the ability to community having access to information about businesses and their discriminatory practices. News media (TV, Radio, Newspapers) and social media (email, texting, Facebook, etc.) should all be free to report and have customers report on discriminatory business practices so that the public can make an informed choice.

3. The "corporatisation" of businesses in America watches the bottom line and having your "brand name" associated with and appearing to condone discrimination has a negative impact on the bottom line. With corporate owned "shops" and franchises who still fall under policies of the home office means that these businesses will not allow or condone what was going on prior to the 60's.​

So the question becomes the balance of the rights of the private business owner to manage their private property according to their desires as compared to the desires of others to have access to that private business. With the widespread discrimination 3-generations ago there may have been justification to say the rights of the property owner needed to be usurped - on a temporary basis - but those times are pretty much gone. The balance was greatly tilted toward discrimination. I think of myself as a Goldwater Conservative quite a bit because Goldwater had the testicular fortitude to stand up against Federal Public Accommodation laws, not because he was a bigot or a racist - but because he believed in limited government.

But in general the widespread issues from 60 years ago have been resolved by fundamental shifts in society. Sure there will be isolated instances, that's the price of liberty and dealing with your own issues. A burger joint says - I won't serve a black? OK, walk across the street to Applebee's. A photographer doesn't want to shoot a same-sex wedding? OK, Google or Angie's List another photographer in the area.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all FOR keeping Public Accommodation laws in force in terms of the functioning of government but that is because citizens have an inherent right to equal treatment by the government. There is no such right to equal treatment by other individuals.

>>>>

Gee isn't that lovely.

>>>>
I don't think it's necessary to give a reason. You can just refuse every third person if you want.

Here are my thoughts...

Three generations ago there were...

1. Areas of the country where black people couldn't rent a room for the night when traveling.

2. Areas of the country where black people traveling couldn't buy gas from white station owners.

3. Areas of the country where blacks couldn't eat unless they could find a black's only food establishment.

4. And we had systematic discrimination against minorities in terms of how government functioned, such as segregated mass transit (buses, trains, etc.), schools, law enforcement, etc.

5. Even segregation in the military.​

In those days such things were commonplace, but society has changed in the last 60 years and changed a lot. There has been a "corporatisation" where you can't spit without finding a company gas station, movie theater, restaurateur, motel/hotel, etc. Just because we repeal Public Accommodation laws, doesn't mean that things are going to go back to the way they were 3-generations ago. And there are a number of factors that impact this:

1. We are much more mobile society. People routinely travel in a manner unprecedented then both temporary and "permanent" relocation's out of the area they grew up in.

2. We are more informed society and information is much more available today about how a business conducts it self in term so taking care of customers we have Criag's list, Angie's list, Yelp, and a plethora of hotel, restaurant, and review sites for any type of business and it's not just the discriminated against who would choose not to associate with such a business. In addition I fully support the ability to community having access to information about businesses and their discriminatory practices. News media (TV, Radio, Newspapers) and social media (email, texting, Facebook, etc.) should all be free to report and have customers report on discriminatory business practices so that the public can make an informed choice.

3. The "corporatisation" of businesses in America watches the bottom line and having your "brand name" associated with and appearing to condone discrimination has a negative impact on the bottom line. With corporate owned "shops" and franchises who still fall under policies of the home office means that these businesses will not allow or condone what was going on prior to the 60's.​

So the question becomes the balance of the rights of the private business owner to manage their private property according to their desires as compared to the desires of others to have access to that private business. With the widespread discrimination 3-generations ago there may have been justification to say the rights of the property owner needed to be usurped - on a temporary basis - but those times are pretty much gone. The balance was greatly tilted toward discrimination. I think of myself as a Goldwater Conservative quite a bit because Goldwater had the testicular fortitude to stand up against Federal Public Accommodation laws, not because he was a bigot or a racist - but because he believed in limited government.

But in general the widespread issues from 60 years ago have been resolved by fundamental shifts in society. Sure there will be isolated instances, that's the price of liberty and dealing with your own issues. A burger joint says - I won't serve a black? OK, walk across the street to Applebee's. A photographer doesn't want to shoot a same-sex wedding? OK, Google or Angie's List another photographer in the area.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all FOR keeping Public Accommodation laws in force in terms of the functioning of government but that is because citizens have an inherent right to equal treatment by the government. There is no such right to equal treatment by other individuals.

>>>>
discrimination from the institution should not ever happen. Individuals have the right to be a bigoted asshole. The institution doesn't. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Good Lord, just bake the cake! The bakers aren't being forced to participate in the ceremony. I don't see how this threatens someone's Christian values.
You don't see, you got that much right.

I am a Christian and I see just fine. God will not punish these bakers for baking a cake for a same sex wedding.
That isn't really the point, your speaking from authority not with standing. They don't want to bake the fucking cake, that's the point.

It's entirely the point.
You're an idiot. That's the point.

discrimination from the institution should not ever happen. Individuals have the right to be a bigoted asshole. The institution doesn't. No ifs ands or buts about it.
The institution? That's what you call a small bakery? The business is owned by individuals, why do they lose their rights?

The institution? That's what you call a small bakery? The business is owned by individuals, why do they lose their rights?
The bakery is not an institution. The bakery should be able to refuse to anyone.

The Yelp reviews are hilarious

Kern’s Bake Shop - Longview, TX

Only progressives confuse snark with actual political commentary or opinion.
Don't have a cow man

Not at all, just watching idiots like you gleefully condoning the proles with their torches and pitchforks do your dirty work while you stand on the sidelines like the gutless cowards you are.
This is a state with no PA laws....just as you want it to be. And you are STILL whining.

The negative reviews on Yelp and the shit the folks are taking from the public....that's just the market.

They've insisted that the market be allowed to determine the outcome of businesses that deny services. Well, this is what it looks like.

Though again, the threats are unacceptable.
Slander and defamation of character isn't the market. Unless you are a professional smear monger. There's nothing honest about giving bad reviews to harm a business you weren't intending to use in the first place. The fact that this needs to be explained illustrates just how morally bankrupt the left has become.

Only progressives confuse snark with actual political commentary or opinion.
Don't have a cow man

Not at all, just watching idiots like you gleefully condoning the proles with their torches and pitchforks do your dirty work while you stand on the sidelines like the gutless cowards you are.
This is a state with no PA laws....just as you want it to be. And you are STILL whining.

The negative reviews on Yelp and the shit the folks are taking from the public....that's just the market.

They've insisted that the market be allowed to determine the outcome of businesses that deny services. Well, this is what it looks like.

Slander and defamation of character isn't the market.

And who says that its slander and defamation of character?

Gee isn't that lovely.

>>>>
Which orifice did you dig that out of? The baker didn't want to make a wedding cake for something they believe is sinful, not that they should even need a reason. If it was just a gay person buy a cake how would they even know? Likely wouldn't care. If the flourist is Muslim or someone that doesn't like Christianity, of course they should be able to say no to a Jesus cake. I've never heard otherwise.

Don't have a cow man

Maligning their character because they are religious for one. And calling them phobic for it. You have no moral compass, we get it.

Maligning their character because they are religious for one. And calling them phobic for it. You have no moral compass, we get it.

Who says that is slander or defamation of character? Specifically.

Not every religious or moral compass is anti-gay.

Who says that is slander or defamation of character? Specifically.
I answered you, you fucking retard!

No, you dumb motherfucker. But these are orthodox Christians who believe homosexuality is a sin. That's what matters, not your goddamn personal opinion. You people are stupid, arrogant and tyrannical. No wonder so many people are learning to hate gays.

And, you seem to think YOUR moral position ought to be universal. It isn't.

No, you dumb motherfucker. But these are orthodox Christians who believe homosexuality is a sin. That's what matters, not your goddamn personal opinion. You people are stupid, arrogant and tyrannical. No wonder so many people are learning to hate gays.
Hey, you cuss like that and consider yourself "Christian? Thou shalt call people motherfuckers, stupid, arrogant and tyrannical while being a stupid, arrogant and tyrannical mother fucker yourself.

Hey, you cuss like that and consider yourself "Christian? Thou shalt call people motherfuckers, stupid, arrogant and tyrannical while being a stupid, arrogant and tyrannical mother fucker yourself.
I didn't say I was a Christian, but I did say you are a dumb motherfucker. Go suck a ecoli filled salami.

Forum List

Back