Another example of the best gov't money can buy, as long as you have plenty of money.

From the article:

The following criticism from Texas state Representative Senfronia Thompson highlights the challenge Tesla is up against.

“It would have been wiser if Mr. Tesla had sat down with the car dealers first,” Thompson said.
Quite a trick since if he were alive today Mr. Tesla would be 159 years old... :lmao:
Although actually, he did believe he'd live that long...

Last edited:
Most states have laws that make it illegal to sell more than a few cars/year without being a registered dealership in that state, in order to protect consumers.

It would seem to me that the Tesla was cutting out county and city sales tax by doing that. Cheaper to the people yes but local greed gets nothing.

Any sales within that city & county would still have to pay any sales tax.

Most states have laws that make it illegal to sell more than a few cars/year without being a registered dealership in that state, in order to protect consumers.

Tesla is a car manufacturer. It would be easy to register them. This is about protecting the car dealerships.

It would seem to me that the Tesla was cutting out county and city sales tax by doing that. Cheaper to the people yes but local greed gets nothing.
Cant speak for texas, but in missouri you pay the sales tax of the county/city of residence on a car

Do you think that laws enacted by states to protect consumers should be abandoned?

That is not the question. Tesla could be registered as a dealer. But Texas requires that they sell thru local franchises or dealerships. That is not protecting the consumer. That is protecting the auto dealers.

Cant speak for texas, but in missouri you pay the sales tax of the county/city of residence on a car
Yeah, I lived in Salem we called it the "city slicker" tax. They even tax your cows!

Tesla Sales Texas Direct sales of Tesla Model S not coming to Texas BGR

Texas joins a number of states that will not allow Tesla to sell directly to their customers, but require that they use a franchise or dealership.

Does anyone think that is in the best interest of the people? Or is it in the best interest of the car dealers?

Meh...if they want one they can get on a plane and go get one and drive it home. It's not like they cant afford it.

And where do they get it serviced?

Do you think that laws enacted by states to protect consumers should be abandoned?

That is not the question. Tesla could be registered as a dealer. But Texas requires that they sell thru local franchises or dealerships. That is not protecting the consumer. That is protecting the auto dealers.
It does give the consumer some protection. If yesla sells me a lemon directly, where do i take it when it shows its nature?

Tesla Sales Texas Direct sales of Tesla Model S not coming to Texas BGR

Texas joins a number of states that will not allow Tesla to sell directly to their customers, but require that they use a franchise or dealership.

Does anyone think that is in the best interest of the people? Or is it in the best interest of the car dealers?

Meh...if they want one they can get on a plane and go get one and drive it home. It's not like they cant afford it.

And where do they get it serviced?

I guess that would be a problem..road trip?

It does give the consumer some protection. If yesla sells me a lemon directly, where do i take it when it shows its nature?

To the Tesla store where you bought it. The warranty would be covered by the actual car manufacturer, rather than by some middle-man dealership. Who better to handle any problems?

It's having a physical presence in the state. If a FFL license holder sells a gun to an out of state consumer, the gun must be picked up at an in state licensed dealer. Why are cars different?

Forum List

Back