The Oregon case. Now that the Supreme Court has cleared the way for cities to enforce bans on homeless camps, will blue cities act?

Hospitals that don't exist.

LOL. Those weren't hospitals. They were warehouses.
They were places where they would be fed, sheltered, kept off the streets and appropriately medicated, which frankly, is all you could really do for them.

I remember when this happened in the 1970s, and the neighborhood I lived in suddenly got an influx of mentally ill people who had no idea what to do with themselves. They would hang around the liquor store panhandling until they got enough money to buy some Mad Dog 20/20 and medicate themselves into oblivion, staying inside the laundromat to stay warm.

One fellow I recall regularly got beaten up either by his fellow homeless or perhaps locals trying to get him to relocate somewhere else. He never did. He didn't have a clue.

Flas forward 45 years later. The wife and I are downtown doing a little sightseeing. We're getting ready to leave Five Guys when we see this scary-as-shit homeless dude looking at his reflection in the glass, stooping and swinging his arms. We waited until he moved on before exiting, but there he was again, only a few stores down, still having that stare-down with his reflection. we walked around him, me making sure I was between him and the missus in case he went nuts. It was a very tense few minutes.

So, what greater good is served by letting this guy do what he does?

They were places where they would be fed, sheltered, kept off the streets and appropriately medicated, which frankly, is all you could really do for them.

I've been to some of them. We wouldn't allow animals to be kept in such conditions today.

I remember when this happened in the 1970s, and the neighborhood I lived in suddenly got an influx of mentally ill people who had no idea what to do with themselves. They would hang around the liquor store panhandling until they got enough money to buy some Mad Dog 20/20 and medicate themselves into oblivion, staying inside the laundromat to stay warm.

One fellow I recall regularly got beaten up either by his fellow homeless or perhaps locals trying to get him to relocate somewhere else. He never did. He didn't have a clue.

Flas forward 45 years later. The wife and I are downtown doing a little sightseeing. We're getting ready to leave Five Guys when we see this scary-as-shit homeless dude looking at his reflection in the glass, stooping and swinging his arms. We waited until he moved on before exiting, but there he was again, only a few stores down, still having that stare-down with his reflection. we walked around him, me making sure I was between him and the missus in case he went nuts. It was a very tense few minutes.

So, what greater good is served by letting this guy do what he does?

If he is a danger to people he can be addressed through the courts.

I've been to some of them. We wouldn't allow animals to be kept in such conditions today.

When? Where? I will agree, some of these hospitals were terrible, but certainly better than living on the street.

If he is a danger to people he can be addressed through the courts.
Not under the current laws. Under current laws, if he attacks someone, he's sent to the hospital. The hospital gives him his sanity juice, and then releases him as "no longer being a danger".

When? Where? I will agree, some of these hospitals were terrible, but certainly better than living on the street.

Not your call. There is a huge one not far from me. I remember when it was still open (in the 80's).

A terrible place to be.

Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum

The treatment of people was abysmal.

Not under the current laws. Under current laws, if he attacks someone, he's sent to the hospital. The hospital gives him his sanity juice, and then releases him as "no longer being a danger".

Medicated many are not any danger. All the same, you were just uncomfortable, you noted no danger.

Not your call. There is a huge one not far from me. I remember when it was still open (in the 80's).

A terrible place to be.

Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum

The treatment of people was abysmal.

Medicated many are not any danger. All the same, you were just uncomfortable, you noted no danger.
Actually, I had no idea what this freak was going to do. I was probably a little more protective than I would normally be because I was there with my wife. (Which is a sad commentary in itself, why should I have to tolerate this nonsense at all!)

But I can see why towns like this one in Oregon passed this kind of law. Hopefully, more cities will do the same.

I am sure some of these hospitals

Housing First model
I dont object to other countries trying ideas based on their unique culture or circumstances

Here is my suggestion for the cesspool commonly known as California

use abandoned warehouses as homeless hostels

Include showers and central heat and a common area for cooking food that all the “guests” can have access to

The sleeping quarters feature individual cots enclosed in steel mesh with locking doors that the “guests” will have a key to

These street bums can stay as long as they want and come and go as they please provided they pass random drug tests

Test every homeless person picked up on the street for drugs

If they are using drugs confine them to a tent city rehab facility in the desert far away from other people for 3 months, 6 months, or longer while they undergo counseling and rehab

If they keep getting released and rearrested they can be classified as habitual drug addicts and confined till they die

Mental problems brought on by years of drug and alcohol abuse ... totally self-inflicted.

I keep hoping these GOVT agencies have enough sense to separate the actual bad luck decent persons from the druggers/anarchist/opportunists etc. Help them first. Get them away from the worst.
Prioritize Citizens only since resources are limited? No BS amnesty scammers. Make it tough on them so they might self deport.

Some DEM cities relaxed the drug laws so far that they can deal and use on public streets w/o much worry about getting hauled off to Jail. And it continues, PORT CA etc.

Wow ... talk about selfish naive people ... do you include folks brought to addiction by their doctor with oxycodone? ...

"The structure of the U.S. healthcare system, in which people not qualifying for government programs are required to obtain private insurance, favors prescribing drugs over more expensive therapies. According to Professor Judith Feinberg, "Most insurance, especially for poor people, won't pay for anything but a pill."

I dont object to other countries trying ideas based on their unique culture or circumstances

Here is my suggestion for the cesspool commonly known as California

use abandoned warehouses as homeless hostels

Include showers and central heat and a common area for cooking food that all the “guests” can have access to

The sleeping quarters feature individual cots enclosed in steel mesh with locking doors that the “guests” will have a key to

These street bums can stay as long as they want and come and go as they please provided they pass random drug tests

Test every homeless person picked up on the street for drugs

If they are using drugs confine them to a tent city rehab facility in the desert far away from other people for 3 months, 6 months, or longer while they undergo counseling and rehab

If they keep getting released and rearrested they can be classified as habitual drug addicts and confined till they die
If only America could look outside of their border and realise there's other ideas.

Homelessness is not a straight forward subject why someone is homeless, governments need to start looking into why some policies etc.. creates part of the problem and using such schemes as used in Finland to tackle the problem in a mature way.

Forum List

Back