Another family friendly pit bull story

Of course it does. Ask the people who breed horses to cut cows. You can't take any horse and teach it to be a cutting horse. They have to want to go after those cows, and the ones that want to go after them are BRED to go after them.

You can't teach any dog to be a successful fighting dog. They have to be bred to do it, and Pit Bulls and Rotties have the breeding for it...even if they aren't being used for it.

What is a successful fighting dog?

Tell me, baba.. do you believe that the child of a serial killer WILL themsevles kill?

One that will be aggressive in the dog ring and fight to the death.

Poodles don't have that drive. You can put two poodles of the same size against each other, and they won't fight to the death generally speaking.

Get it yet?

What does it mean then?

It means it's more work to train a dog that has been bred for aggressive behavior to be a friendly family dog than one that has been bred to be a family dog. And if you don't put in the extra work, you've got a more dangerous dog on your hands.

Right, the ripping off of kid's faces is merely a byproduct of the breeding for aggressive, fight to the death behavior. Way to twist my words though. :lol:

Care to provide some scientific evidence to back up your claim about this so called mere byproduct?

Care to provide some scientific evidence to back up your claim about this so called mere byproduct?

The attack stats have already been posted multiple times. But you are correct, I'm merely assuming that even dogs that have been trained for aggressive behavior were not trained specifically to rip kid's faces off. It is rather puzzling though that you think they were, since that contradicts everything you've stated on the subject so far. :confused:

generally speaking? Why? Because no one wants to see a poodle fight? Are you telling me that, in the entire history of canine-kind, NO POODLE has ever attacked anything other than a bowl of food?

generally speaking? Why? Because no one wants to see a poodle fight? Are you telling me that, in the entire history of canine-kind, NO POODLE has ever attacked anything other than a bowl of food?

Standard or miniature? :D

Now you're inferring like a rabid ravi. I agree with that statement every bit as much as you do. However you and Soggy have been arguing for page after page that breed doesn't matter. That is what I've been refuting. :eusa_whistle:

Nope, I recall you saying that pits are predisposed to rip the faces off children.

Breed is a minor factor. That pits and other large breeds have powerful jaws, yes. that's obvious. That pits have some kind of genetic variation that no other breed has that reverses their instincts towards domestication and turns them back into wild animals like tigers and sharks is a conjecture based on no scientific evidence.

The more you keep harping on breed, breed, breed: the more and more you sound like the William Joyce of the dog world.

One that will be aggressive in the dog ring and fight to the death.

Poodles don't have that drive. You can put two poodles of the same size against each other, and they won't fight to the death generally speaking.

Get it yet?

So all pit bulls when put together will be aggressive to each other and fight to the death?

Bullshit.

Tell the owners of dogs that herd cattle, or hunt rodents, or birds, that "breed is a minor factor" when it comes to behavior.

I can't believe you're so pig-headed that you will insist that breeding for fighting is somehow less of a factor in dog behavior than breeding for hunting.

I'll tell you one thing...my Russell has been socialized and raised in a loving family....and she will pull birds out of the air and have them dead before they hit the ground. Mice don't have a chance. And no amount of training will take that out of her. We can't have birds, cats or other dogs...because she is a scrappy, fighting, killing little dog who has been BRED to hunt.

Pit bulls have been bred to fight to the death. it isn't even a matter of hunting. They are bred to face off with animals and kill them. It's people like you, who insist breeding has no influence on them and they're entirely safe for everyone that puts everyone in danger, and who will be responsible for getting them banned.

So all pit bulls when put together will be aggressive to each other and fight to the death?

Now you're being deliberately obtuse.

But if you put all pit bulls together, I guarantee at the end of the day, there won't be as many pit bulls left.

It means it's more work to train a dog that has been bred for aggressive behavior to be a friendly family dog than one that has been bred to be a family dog. And if you don't put in the extra work, you've got a more dangerous dog on your hands.

Do you have anything to back that up or are you making more suppositions?

So, following what you say, a pit bull born from one of Michael Vick's is more more dangerous that a pit bull from a breeder who breeds them as family pets.

That's a theory that none have proved as yet.

Why Sausage dogs are really just four-legged fiends

Think of an aggressive dog and the chances are you'll come up with a snarling rottweiler or doberman.

But the real thugs of the canine world are the smaller breeds, a study suggests.

Dachshunds, nicknamed sausage dogs, topped the list for aggression, with one in five having bitten or tried to bite a stranger.

A similar proportion had attacked other dogs and one in 12 had tried to take a chunk out of its owner.

Next in the list of 33 breeds was an even smaller dog, the Chihuahua, followed by Jack Russell terriers.

The highest-rated large dog was the Akita, at number four, while the pit bull came sixth. Rottweilers and Rhodesian ridgebacks didn't even make it into the top ten.

The study, published in the journal Applied Animal Behaviour Science, was based on interviews with 6,000 dog owners by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania.

One of the researchers, Dr James Serpell, said the findings suggested smaller breeds were more genetically predisposed towards aggressive behaviour. Previous research into the area has generally been based on dog bite statistics.

But bites from larger dogs are more likely to need medical attention and the researchers said this might have skewed results as most attacks were not being reported.

According to their study, the pit bull, rottweiler and Rhodesian ridgeback rated average or below average for hostility towards strangers. Golden retrievers, basset hounds, labradors, Siberian huskies and greyhounds came low on the list for aggression.

Chris Moore, of the Northern Dachshund Association, described the findings as 'rubbish'. He said: 'It is not in the dogs' nature. I have never been bitten in 25 years.'

Pam Bungard, of the British Chihuahua Club, said she had owned 14 and come into contact with hundreds of others over the past quarter of a century.

'I judge the breed and I have never been bitten by one. They are a bit yappy but soon they are sitting on people and jumping all over them. I think people could be confusing excitement with aggression.'

The Rottweiler Club in Britain agreed with the researchers' findings, however. Treasurer Joyce Summers said: 'I have lived with Rottweilers for 40 years and they give nothing but love and affection. I am not surprised Jack Russells are up there near the top. They are yappy little things.'

Canine behaviour consultant Jacquie Bunn said: 'Aggressive behaviour is much more prevalent in small dogs than large and it's something behaviourists and trainers have known for some years.'

Why sausage dogs are really just four-legged fiends | Mail Online

:eusa_whistle:

The attack stats have already been posted multiple times. But you are correct, I'm merely assuming that even dogs that have been trained for aggressive behavior were not trained specifically to rip kid's faces off. It is rather puzzling though that you think they were, since that contradicts everything you've stated on the subject so far. :confused:
I have yet to see your stats.

I've never heard of dogs being trained to rip the faces off of kids. I'm sure it could be done. You are the one who is making that set of associations

Bullshit.

Tell the owners of dogs that herd cattle, or hunt rodents, or birds, that "breed is a minor factor" when it comes to behavior.

I can't believe you're so pig-headed that you will insist that breeding for fighting is somehow less of a factor in dog behavior than breeding for hunting.

I'll tell you one thing...my Russell has been socialized and raised in a loving family....and she will pull birds out of the air and have them dead before they hit the ground. Mice don't have a chance. And no amount of training will take that out of her. We can't have birds, cats or other dogs...because she is a scrappy, fighting, killing little dog who has been BRED to hunt.

Pit bulls have been bred to fight to the death. it isn't even a matter of hunting. They are bred to face off with animals and kill them. It's people like you, who insist breeding has no influence on them and they're entirely safe for everyone that puts everyone in danger, and who will be responsible for getting them banned.

You're right about fighting and hunting being different instincts. One is related to food the other to defending terrritory or mating rights. I have never said natural instincts do not have an effect on dog behavior. Fighting to the death is not a natural instinct in pack animals such as dogs.

You claim that pit bulls are all bred to kill and that this breeding is successful. It would seem like you would be in favor of bred specific laws? Why aren't you?

Forum List

Back