Another Interstate Bridge Collapse

Doofus Bush is responsible for the number of people having to go on welfare, Obama wasn't the one that put the country in the toilet. And did you ever hear of "filibuster" - Republicans have over-used that gimmick to keep anything they don't want to pass from passing.

Republicans in Congress don't give a crap about jobs - they just say they do. If they did, they would spend more time and taxpayer money trying to figure out how to get more jobs instead of chasing rabbits and making up scandals that aren't scandals.

Bush & the Republicans dramatically increased infrastructure spending. Obamacrats stole the infrastructure money & paid their voters to sit home on their ass & not fix infrastructure.

fredgraph.png

fredgraph.png

Except, they spent most of that money on military infrastructure not civilian infrastructure.

Bullshit - You have no credible links. Those charts prove spending on US roads went way up under Bush & down under Obama.

I get how it works....when the House plays obstructionist politics under Obama's presidency, and something bad happens...it's all Obama....

just like Benghazi....at first it was "Obama cut all this money from embassy security....Impeach him!". Then when it comes out that it was the Republican led House that actually cut the funds...it's now "the cuts have no bearing.on the attack".

Old? It was built 60 years ago.

The President has been talking about infrastructure spending since he was a candidate. Who is stopping it?

Yea, 60 years is old for a bridge that has a large volume of traffic. Obama talked about infastructure as a candidate, but what has he done in the last 5 years? Look at all the stimulus money that was supposed to go for stuff like this.
He needs a congress that's not dead set on austerity, and defying Obama.

Perhaps we should cease diverting gas taxes, paid to build and improve highways, to transit systems, bike paths, and walking paths. About 20% of total highway trust fund spending.

Yea, 60 years is old for a bridge that has a large volume of traffic. Obama talked about infastructure as a candidate, but what has he done in the last 5 years? Look at all the stimulus money that was supposed to go for stuff like this.

Perhaps we should cease diverting gas taxes, paid to build and improve highways, to transit systems, bike paths, and walking paths. About 20% of total highway trust fund spending.

No,

We should stop spending the money on bail-outs and god knows where. Time to invest in our country...

IF THE REPUBLICANS ARE STOPPING infrastructure construction then they're wrong.

No,

We should stop spending the money on bail-outs and god knows where. Time to invest in our country...

IF THE REPUBLICANS ARE STOPPING infrastructure construction then they're wrong.

Here is what you have to understand Matthew.

For liberals, infrastructure spending is code for raising taxes.

They're only interest is using infrastructure spending as a tool to increase tax revenue.

Republicans would like nothing more than to divert money like the $800 million dollars of tax payer money Washington State used to make their Amtrak trains run 10 minutes faster, the $535 million wasted on Solyndra, the $43 million pissed away at Beacon Power, and all the other wasteful spending in Washington...to bridge rebuilding and roads and other infrastructure projects.

The Motor Fuel Tax money should be going to THESE projects before bike paths and railroad projects like Amtrak.

It's triage...we have a fixed pool of money...and we have to use it wisely.

Advances in infrastructure are being made.

Look at new interstate highways like I-49 and I-22.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_49...A huge section of limited access highway is finished in Missouri and Arkansas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_22...It's like 9 miles from completing the final section into Birmingham and 5 miles from I-240 in Memphis.

Mississippi has it's section of I-69 done, Texas has converted much of US-59 to limited access for its assimilation into I-69...the rest competes for funding with bike paths and high speed rail.

Last edited:
I get how it works....when the House plays obstructionist politics under Obama's presidency, and something bad happens...it's all Obama....

just like Benghazi....at first it was "Obama cut all this money from embassy security....Impeach him!". Then when it comes out that it was the Republican led House that actually cut the funds...it's now "the cuts have no bearing.on the attack".

I never said Benghazi was Obama's fault. Lying about Benghazi & punishing the anti-Muslim film maker was Obama's fault. The Republicans spent like crazy on infrastructure. Now under Obamacrats infrastructure has been sacrificed to buy votes.

Last edited:
Bush & the Republicans dramatically increased infrastructure spending. Obamacrats stole the infrastructure money & paid their voters to sit home on their ass & not fix infrastructure.

fredgraph.png

fredgraph.png

Except, they spent most of that money on military infrastructure not civilian infrastructure.

Bullshit - You have no credible links. Those charts prove spending on US roads went way up under Bush & down under Obama.

Don't know if you are, but you're sounding a lot like a Republican tool.

Presidents, Bush, Obama, whoever, don't appropriate funds for USDOT -- congress does. Based on your post, I'm thinking, you think Leader Pelosi did a heckuva job?

Why has construction on our infrastructure fallen from 320 billion to 260 billion under Obama? Where has this money gone? Obama is blowing money somewhere.

Obama hasn't been spending it on infrastructure.

Obama Blowing money?
Revenue is down, so are deficits.
Math much?

How come everyone here is such an expert on spending other peoples money?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If the above statement is true, why are we in such deep shit?

Maybe conservatives are not as conservative as they want to appear - when it comes to other people's money (taxpayers).

You really are stupid arent ya?
Conservatives want less taxes snd less programs

Right... Most trucks have trailers behind them made of aluminum. Aluminum is a lot weaker than steel. Even the next most popular container is a steel shipping container. Neither of these is tall enough to come into contact with the bridge. The oversize "box" made of heavy gauge steel was meant to clear a 15' 9" bridge super structure. That bridge has a clearance of 15' 6". When something that strong and heavy going 60 MPH hits something of a smaller gauge the weaker material will buckle. No bridge of that design can take the impact it sustained to knock it off its concrete foundation. The bridge failed because of impact...not because of poor maintenance.

Exactly.

Here is the eyewitness statement.

"I saw the truck strike the right corner of the bridge. It almost tipped the truck over but it came back down. It tipped it up to about a 30 degree angle to the left and it came back down on its wheels and almost instantaneously behind that I saw girders falling in my rearview mirror."

I-5 bridge collapses over Skagit River, no fatalities | KING5.com Seattle

It doesnt matter if a trailer was made of aluminium. hell the planes that hit the twin towers was made of Aluminium. Its about speed and mass. I really should post that formula....
ok here it is.
F = ma
m = mass
a = speed / time
speed = distance / time

Actually, it DOES matter. A typical box trailer is incredibly flimsy...it's made of sheetmetal and thin vertical braces. If it hit a girder, it would peel back like a banana. (Ever seen a "topped" trailer?) This wasn't a trailer--it was a piece of heavy equipment with essentially no "give" in it.

Why has construction on our infrastructure fallen from 320 billion to 260 billion under Obama? Where has this money gone? Obama is blowing money somewhere.

He's spending it on his donors. See Solyndra and the Auto Unions

Star is spinning it the other way and came out in his first post, so blame Star for being the dumbshit that wanted to make this partisan.

I myself, hold no ill will against either President.

The tax cut culture strikes again!

I-5 bridge collapses over Skagit River; cars in the water | The Today File | Seattle Times

Posted by Brian M. Rosenthal

An Interstate 5 bridge collapsed into the Skagit River on Thursday evening, dumping cars and people into the waters north of Mount Vernon.

Washington State Patrol spokesman Mark Francis wrote on Twitter at 7:19 p.m. that both the northbound and southbound lanes had collapsed in the water.

Francis told the Associated Press he did not know how many people were in the water, whether there were any injuries or what caused the collapse.

Rescue efforts were under way soon after as dozens of people gathered on the shore to watch. A reporter on the scene said he saw a rescue boat take at least one person to shore amid cheers from the spectators.

Photographs of the collapse circulating on Twitter and Facebook showed a wide gap in the bridge and at least two vehicles in the water.

The bridge, built in 1955, was classified by the National Bridge Inventory as “functionally obsolete” in both 2000 and 2010. But the Washington Department of Transportation does not list it among its list of “structurally deficient bridges.”

Traffic around the site was backed up for miles.
U.S. Rep. Rick Larsen released a statement saying in part that he encourages “people to follow police instructions and stay away from the site of the collapse to let first responders address the situation safely.”

<snip>

The Welfare culture strikes again!

Instead of paying people not to work, people could of been paid to rebuild this bridge.

Obama Blowing money?
Revenue is down, so are deficits.
Math much?

"Deficits" are not down. The yearly deficit is still over a trillion dollars per year, adding to the national debt every year.

And yes Obama blew stimulous money on repaying his donors, like unions and Solyndra.

Math much?

Don't know if you are, but you're sounding a lot like a Republican tool.

Presidents, Bush, Obama, whoever, don't appropriate funds for USDOT -- congress does. Based on your post, I'm thinking, you think Leader Pelosi did a heckuva job?

I am certainly no party's tool. Pelosi & the Democrats did not take over until 2007. The chart clearly shows infrastructure spending soared prior to that time. Infrastructure spending was cut shortly after Democrats took over. Presidents have the bully pulpit & a lot of power.

I can still remember watching Sargeant Schultz around the week or month after the Minnesota Bridge collapse/2007, I don't recall exactly what he said, it was something regarding that more bridges will collapse if the republicans keep voting against infrastructure funding. Wow, who knew that Ed Schultz was on the same level as Miss Cloe.

The tax cut culture strikes again!

I-5 bridge collapses over Skagit River; cars in the water | The Today File | Seattle Times

Posted by Brian M. Rosenthal

An Interstate 5 bridge collapsed into the Skagit River on Thursday evening, dumping cars and people into the waters north of Mount Vernon.

Washington State Patrol spokesman Mark Francis wrote on Twitter at 7:19 p.m. that both the northbound and southbound lanes had collapsed in the water.

Francis told the Associated Press he did not know how many people were in the water, whether there were any injuries or what caused the collapse.

Rescue efforts were under way soon after as dozens of people gathered on the shore to watch. A reporter on the scene said he saw a rescue boat take at least one person to shore amid cheers from the spectators.

Photographs of the collapse circulating on Twitter and Facebook showed a wide gap in the bridge and at least two vehicles in the water.

The bridge, built in 1955, was classified by the National Bridge Inventory as “functionally obsolete” in both 2000 and 2010. But the Washington Department of Transportation does not list it among its list of “structurally deficient bridges.”

Traffic around the site was backed up for miles.
U.S. Rep. Rick Larsen released a statement saying in part that he encourages “people to follow police instructions and stay away from the site of the collapse to let first responders address the situation safely.”

<snip>

The Welfare culture strikes again!

Instead of paying people not to work, people could of been paid to rebuild this bridge.

Hey...guess who thought of that back in the 30's? Roosevelt...the FOUNDER of welfare in the US. Back then we had the WPA and the CCC who worked on projects such as bridge building, road building, the Hoover Dam, the Blue Ridge Parkway and a shit ton of other projects. I don't know who stopped those programs, but it was wrong.

Forum List

Back