Another possible establishment GOP endgame

Agit8r

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2010
I was mulling over a scenario in my head the other day that I haven't fully developed, but it seems like it could be a possible last ditch end game for the GOP establishment. It goes something as follows:

If Trump were to wins so many primary delegates that it would be impolitic (and possibly result in convention violence) for them not to allow him to be the nominee, they might resort to the same "divide and conquer" strategy in the General Election instead.

This would involve a couple of element.

First, they would have to back a relatively moderate Republican (say Kasich or Paul Ryan--and yes, that is what passes for moderate in the GOP today) in a write in campaign.

Secondly there would be a dark-money ad campaign encouraging voters in the western US to vote for Gary Johnson (or whoever the libertarian nominee ends up being) that attack Hillary on issues like war, civil liberties, or drug scheduling.

Possibly thirdly, to run a dark-money ad campaign encouraging left wing voters to vote for Jill Stein, or the Green party candidate in very liberal states.

They could then potentially keep any candidate from getting a sufficient number of electoral votes, thus throwing the matter to the House of Representatives, who would pick the Establishment GOP candidate as the next president.

Maybe it sounds crazy, but this year, who knows? :dunno:

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
Actually, looking at the electoral map, I think this is actually somewhat likely. The risk would be of splitting the right-of-center vote enough, they mind hand the election to the Democrats. On the other hand, the ma might end up looking like this:

estab.png

thus throwing the matter to the House of Representatives ...

shades of George Bush, Florida and the Supreme Court - and if it goes to the House it more likely will be one of the 40 pug Freedom Party lunatics.

Forum List

Back