CDZ Another Question for Gun Owners

The purpose is to fire a projectile at a target
The killing part is up to the person choosing the target

Well then there goes the 2nd Amendment argument.
Not at all

Where in the second amendment des it say anything about the purpose of firearms?

"being necessary to the security of a free State,"
That clause was not about guns it was about a militia and the militia was defined as the people

so you see a gun is nothing but a hunk of metal without a human to wield it

I don't know if you realize it yet but guns are inanimate objects incapable of doing anything

Gotta love these Constitutional purists!

Look. You wanna have a gun, buy a musket, keep it in the local armory.

Wrong...they had repeating rifles at the time of the founding....and they were not stupid.....they did not base the Right on one technology.......so you would be fine if only the government was allowed to use electronic devises...since computers were not around at the time the First Amendment was written....

you guys...do you think before you post?

Police around the nation have for years begged for assault weapons like those used in Dallas to be taken off the streets. They're overwhelmed.

If you claim to support the police, why not support them by supporting common sense regulation of these weapons and clips, etc?

It's already illegal to shoot police officers with any type of weapon.

And there are reports the shooter didn't use an "assault" weapon.
Whatever that means.
Last I heard it was an AK 74. It was an assault weapon, alright.

Police around the nation have for years begged for assault weapons like those used in Dallas to be taken off the streets. They're overwhelmed.

If you claim to support the police, why not support them by supporting common sense regulation of these weapons and clips, etc?

Whatever that means.

Actually, no, it still wasn't.......it was not a select fire military weapon....it was still a civilian rifle.

Thinking that a ban on assault weapons would somehow get them out of the hands of criminals, who by definition don't follow the law, is not common sense, it's lack thereof. The government in question would only be weakening the ability of citizens to defend themselves, while criminals would continue being able to use them. We've already had MANY stupid threads like this.

We don't take that approach legally to any other issue relative to the law do we, not one.
Since no law stops criminal from committing crimes we seem to do exactly that.

All any law can do is state an illegal activity and set a punishment.

We already have thousands of gun laws on the books what we need now is to enforce them and add draconian sentences with no parole for any gun crime
I have nothing against enforcing the laws and giving draconian sentences for gun crimes, but America already incarcerates 25% of the prisoners on the entire planet. 25%. Who pays for their sneaks and their 3 squares and their tvs? Me and you. I don't want to see our numbers go up to 40%. That's all. Get rid of some of the drug incarcerations and substitute gun violators, I'd be okay with it.

The purpose is to fire a projectile at a target
The killing part is up to the person choosing the target

Not at all

Where in the second amendment des it say anything about the purpose of firearms?

That clause was not about guns it was about a militia and the militia was defined as the people

I don't know if you realize it yet but guns are inanimate objects incapable of doing anything

Then slag your computer and write me a letter on parchment with a quill and ink and have it delivered to me by a man on horseback

Thinking that a ban on assault weapons would somehow get them out of the hands of criminals, who by definition don't follow the law, is not common sense, it's lack thereof. The government in question would only be weakening the ability of citizens to defend themselves, while criminals would continue being able to use them. We've already had MANY stupid threads like this.

We don't take that approach legally to any other issue relative to the law do we, not one.
Since no law stops criminal from committing crimes we seem to do exactly that.

All any law can do is state an illegal activity and set a punishment.

We already have thousands of gun laws on the books what we need now is to enforce them and add draconian sentences with no parole for any gun crime
I have nothing against enforcing the laws and giving draconian sentences for gun crimes, but America already incarcerates 25% of the prisoners on the entire planet. 25%. Who pays for their sneaks and their 3 squares and their tvs? Me and you. I don't want to see our numbers go up to 40%. That's all. Get rid of some of the drug incarcerations and substitute gun violators, I'd be okay with it.

We incarcerate many nonviolent offenders

I am only for incarcerating violent criminals everyone else can do 10 years of community service

Whatever that means.

Actually, no, it still wasn't.......it was not a select fire military weapon....it was still a civilian rifle.
I'm not going to get distracted arguing with you over the definition of "assault weapon." You call it a machine gun. The poster, I believe, was referring to the more popular meaning of semiautomatic rifle, of military type modified for civilian use. You were the one who said it was an AK-74. Are they still saying that?

Not at all

Then slag your computer and write me a letter on parchment with a quill and ink and have it delivered to me by a man on horseback
Picture what a slow discussion we USMB posters would be having -- and very tired horses!

So called "assault weapons" account for a very small fraction of all murders committed with a gun
Yet they account for the greatest majority of mass murders.
And mass murders account for less than 1% of all murders

So yeah let's focus on the less that 1% because it's an emotionally charged issue. That's always the best thing to do
Yes, let's do, because families having dinner at a restaurant or doing their shopping really shouldn't need to worry about getting mowed down with a semi-automatic rifle. Damned straight, it's an emotionally charged issue. Explain why it shouldn't be, please.

So called "assault weapons" account for a very small fraction of all murders committed with a gun

So yeah let's focus on the less that 1% because it's an emotionally charged issue. That's always the best thing to do
Yes, let's do, because families having dinner at a restaurant or doing their shopping really shouldn't need to worry about getting mowed down with a semi-automatic rifle. Damned straight, it's an emotionally charged issue. Explain why it shouldn't be, please.

So do you believe there are another class of rifles that don't mow people down?

It shouldn't be an emotional discussion because emotions tend to override logic. Logic would dictate that you address the people who are committing the crimes, not the weapons they are using.

There is no question for gun owners. It is a 2nd Amendment freedom. This thread is like asking, "another question for free speech supporters."

American society will never come to any sanity in regards to either guns or race, all it takes it a few fringe nut job bomb throwers to ignite shit all over and torch any progress made by the majority of decent folk.
Have hope.

They really shouldn't have to worry about it at all as I said less than 1% of all murders occur in mass shootings

It's you people and the control freaks who are trying to convince people they will be mowed down every time they step out their doors

So do you believe there are another class of rifles that don't mow people down?
Not so many, not as quickly, Defiant.

It shouldn't be an emotional discussion because emotions tend to override logic. Logic would dictate that you address the people who are committing the crimes, not the weapons they are using.
I see that. I live in Maine, with lots of gun owners and more and more lax gun laws (no permit required for concealed carry, open carry is lovely, no minimum age to go hunting, etc.) and we had a whopping total of 24 homicides last year, not all by gun. There are plenty of other factors at work, I will admit. It doesn't obviate the fact that mass shootings are becoming more and more frequent and would not be as lethal if semi-automatics were not available to the average loon.

I see that. I live in Maine, with lots of gun owners and more and more lax gun laws (no permit required for concealed carry, open carry is lovely, no minimum age to go hunting, etc.) and we had a whopping total of 24 homicides last year, not all by gun. There are plenty of other factors at work, I will admit. It doesn't obviate the fact that mass shootings are becoming more and more frequent and would not be as lethal if semi-automatics were not available to the average loon.

As has been show, until last year, violent crime was on a relentless decline each and every year since the assault weapon ban ended. Those are facts. So that proves that guns being available do not lead to more violence. Yes, they do make it easier for those who wish to cause violence to commit that violence, and obviously a person who has an AR15 with a 100 round drum magazine could kill more people faster than a person with a single shot revolver could. BUT the mere existence of such weapon does not create violence.

In fact, I would argue that the first amendment has directly led to far more deaths than the second. I don't see anyone advocating telling morons to shut up though.

Then you should get rid of gun free zones......those, more than anything else is driving these attacks....

Then you should get rid of gun free zones......those, more than anything else is driving these attacks....

That's untrue as well 2A, gun free zones no more cause violence than guns themselves do. They are merely a tool used by the violent to determine WHERE they will commit their acts of violence.

That's untrue as well 2A, gun free zones no more cause violence than guns themselves do. They are merely a tool used by the violent to determine WHERE they will commit their acts of violence.

Actually, you are correct........they do draw these attackers is what I should have typed...........if she wants her family to be safe at a mall.....she should go to a mall that allows concealed carry.....

Forum List

Back