Ante up anti gunners...what will you allow for normal gun owners, what do you want?

Where in the constitution is registration prohibited?
Ever heard of the 10th amendment? Let me refresh your memory"
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
Seems pretty much as clear as "...shall not be infringed."
Perfect. You're making my case. Show where the constitution prohibits the states from registering firearms and performing background checks on purchasers. It's our right protected by the 10th Amendment, after all, and doesn't infringe on anyone's rights.
We are not talking about states registering, we are talking about the feds doing it. Nice attempt at bait and switch though. Gotta give you props for that.
Quote anyone mentioning federal registration.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
Perfect. You're making my case. Show where the constitution prohibits the states from registering firearms and performing background checks on purchasers. It's our right protected by the 10th Amendment, after all, and doesn't infringe on anyone's rights.
We are not talking about states registering, we are talking about the feds doing it. Nice attempt at bait and switch though. Gotta give you props for that.
Noone had to. Multiple references to FEDERAL law, with no one saying that's not what they where talking about. Again, nice try.

Noone had to. Multiple references to FEDERAL law, with no one saying that's not what they where talking about. Again, nice try.
F'rinstance...

F'rinstance...
I will no longer indulge this lame attempt at side tracking.

For the record:
Going forward nothing I say shall be construed to imply I am discussing anything less than Federal level law an/or the COTUS.

There, I am NOT going to discuss states' attempts to regulate guns, their use, or possession of them. If that is what you wish to discuss, create a thread for it.

How the hell do you think we won our independence?
The rebels and the military both used the same classes of weapons.

Now, back to personal nuclear weaponry...

What the hell does a nuke have to do with it?
To protect us, to put us on an even footing with our potential enemy, the US Armed Forces. That was the intent of the founding fathers when they gave us the right to bear arms, according to what I read here.

I'm not worried about our military,they tend to be staunch defenders of the Constitution.
Then scratch one excuse off your list, and understand that you've just admitted that what the founding fathers intended is no longer valid.

Hardly.
We have the DHS to worry about these days.

The rebels and the military both used the same classes of weapons.

Now, back to personal nuclear weaponry...
That's a hardship created by the previous Republican administration. While I generally agree that we need protection from Republican influence in national policy, I don't think taking up arms against them when they create such humongous executive departments as DHS is an appropriate response.

To protect us, to put us on an even footing with our potential enemy, the US Armed Forces. That was the intent of the founding fathers when they gave us the right to bear arms, according to what I read here.

I'm not worried about our military,they tend to be staunch defenders of the Constitution.
Then scratch one excuse off your list, and understand that you've just admitted that what the founding fathers intended is no longer valid.

Hardly.

That's a hardship created by the previous Republican administration. While I generally agree that we need protection from Republican influence in national policy, I don't think taking up arms against them when they create such humongous executive departments as DHS is an appropriate response.

Hardly.

When you know who the registered owner of a firearm is, you know who isn't.
And you also know where to go to confiscate them. You really don't get it do you?
Back on that old straw man, eh? Great soundbite, no substance.
Tell that to the Jews in Nazi Germany, the British, the Australians, and others.
Strawman my ass.
There is no reason for the government to know where the guns are other than eventual confiscation.

Ever wonder why Canada gave up on the registration of long guns?

"Former Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Julian Fantino opposed the gun registry, stating in a press release in 2003:

We have an ongoing gun crisis including firearms-related homicides lately in Toronto, and a law registering firearms has neither deterred these crimes nor helped us solve any of them. None of the guns we know to have been used were registered, although we believe that more than half of them were smuggled into Canada from the United States. The firearms registry is long on philosophy and short on practical results considering the money could be more effectively used for security against terrorism as well as a host of other public safety initiatives."
But, then again we are talking about the Canadians after all, we are SOOOO much smarter than them, right? We would do it right, and make it effective, right?

Guess the British weren't much smarter.

And you also know where to go to confiscate them. You really don't get it do you?
Tell that to the Jews in Nazi Germany, the British, the Australians, and others.
Strawman my ass.
There is no reason for the government to know where the guns are other than eventual confiscation.

"Former Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Julian Fantino opposed the gun registry, stating in a press release in 2003:

We have an ongoing gun crisis including firearms-related homicides lately in Toronto, and a law registering firearms has neither deterred these crimes nor helped us solve any of them. None of the guns we know to have been used were registered, although we believe that more than half of them were smuggled into Canada from the United States. The firearms registry is long on philosophy and short on practical results considering the money could be more effectively used for security against terrorism as well as a host of other public safety initiatives."
But, then again we are talking about the Canadians after all, we are SOOOO much smarter than them, right? We would do it right, and make it effective, right?

I thought you wanted to talk about confiscation.

Great. One down. Have a nice day while the rest of us discuss gun control.
upload_2016-8-12_12-40-44.jpeg

Good luck repealing that one...

Strawman my ass.

There's really no point. It simply does not work.

Now, don't go all, but it did in Australia, on me.
Firearm%20homicide%20per%20100%2C000%20population%2C%201980-2004.jpg

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/425021/
It merely continued an already established trend.

Great. One down. Have a nice day while the rest of us discuss gun control.
View attachment 85287
Good luck repealing that one...
Not necessary. Our court will clarify its purpose and meaning as it is applied to 21st century America.

And as a matter of fact, prior to Heller, the 2nd Amendment was basically read to apply only to organized militias. No "self defense" right was ever read into it. No justice ever claimed all citizens were entitled to guns. Such an absurd idea was never contemplated by the court. Not til Scalia and his "literal" interpretation of the 2nd Amendment (which just so happened to omit the words "well regulated" I guess?)

Moreover, even Scalia recognized that the decision didn't mean any person should be able to have access to any kind of gun at any time.

Strawman my ass.

Which is exactly why no one, anywhere, attempts it. It's an empty soundbite that has no place in a discussion of gun control.

Unless you're trying to defend an indefensible position.

Strawman my ass.

Which is exactly why no one, anywhere, attempts it. It's an empty soundbite that has no place in a discussion of gun control.

Unless you're trying to defend an indefensible position.
So, tell the class what a national registry will do to stop gun crimes.
There must be some evidence that registries work right?

Forum List

Back