Anthem Tantrum: Trump Disinvites Eagles From White House

5b1983161a0000cd04ce0e50.jpeg

Instead of answering questions about Donald Trump from reporters, Philadelphia Eagle Malcolm Jenkins silently raised signs promoting NFL players’ community contributions and messages about racial injustice in America.

Malcolm Jenkins’ Silence Speaks Volumes

We should all take a knee for racial justice - including contacting all our representatives in Congress!
cool, so? what's that got to do with the OP?

5b1983161a0000cd04ce0e50.jpeg

Instead of answering questions about Donald Trump from reporters, Philadelphia Eagle Malcolm Jenkins silently raised signs promoting NFL players’ community contributions and messages about racial injustice in America.

Malcolm Jenkins’ Silence Speaks Volumes

We should all take a knee for racial justice - including contacting all our representatives in Congress!

So?

Also, you take a knee during the Anthem, and you are an anti-American piece of shit.

How many years salary have you donated?
shit, many years, it's called taxes.

Don't you support racial justice for black folks? That's what the NFL kneeling is all about by the players. However, evil racist assholes like Trump are trying to pervert that into something else.

Anytime you reference a person's skin color you are being racist. Blaming America for isolated cases of police violence against those with a specific skin color is racist. You imagine all whites hate blacks...That is divisive and un-American as is taking a knee during the Anthem. These players are blaming all Americans...all white Americans I might add. That's racist.
and it is insulting.

Trump is reportedly going to ride this anthem tantrum into the November midterm elections.

You can have all the anti-American voters, and we will take all the Patriotic Americans.

What part of that is not reasonable?

Don't you support racial justice for black folks? That's what the NFL kneeling is all about by the players. However, evil racist assholes like Trump are trying to pervert that into something else.

The players are kneeling because of their ignorance--nothing more. If they bothered to look into the subject they are kneeling about, what they would find is that a black person is in ten times more danger of being assaulted or killed by another black than they are a police officer. If they had any smarts at all, they would preach how blacks should start listening to police. If they took any time to do research, they would find that more whites get killed by cops than blacks every year.

So where is this injustice you speak of? Give me a case.
actually, they would do what Bill Cosby was doing, educating young black men on how to act in a society.

Not familiar with the case, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, the officer was charged.

In no way am I saying there aren't bad cops. What I'm saying is that race isn't part of it. A bad cop will be a bad cop to white or black people.

Yes, the players are ignorant. I would be willing to bet if you asked them for a particular case they are protesting, they couldn't give you one, or if they did, it was investigated, found justified, or it went to court and a jury found an officer not guilty.

These meat heads are media puppets. The media tells them how to think, and they just believe it. For instance when a cop kills an unarmed white, it's not a national story, so as far as they are concerned, it never happens. It only happens to black people.

I disagree about the players but I do agree with you that it isn't a race thing in every case. In some cases it is the only reason for police involvement. The players are justified in protesting but I think that NFL, NBA, MLB, players have a big enough podium that they can protest off the field and still have their voices heard. Time and place.

And I would totally support that; most Republicans would. I may disagree with them, I still may consider them ignorant, but I would support their right to do it off the field.

For instance I'm a loyal listener to a local radio host by the name of Bob Frantz. He was going on and on about how he wished LaBoob would leave the team because of his feelings about Trump and the kneelers. I disagree with him. I think LaBoob can say anything he wants about it. He has that right. He didn't protest, he only voiced an opinion. He didn't do it during a game. He was asked about it after the game and I support his right to what he said.

The problem for these people is they don't even know where their paychecks come from. They think they became millionaires just because they mastered a child's game. The truth is they became millionaires because of the support of their audience and followers.

If an entertainer (jock, musician, actor or actress) takes a political stance, they piss off some people and get support from others. If they just kept their political opinions to themselves, they pissed off nobody. All those people are how they make their money. Why piss any one of them off? It's a stupid thing to do.

So you just perfer they keep quiet.

Plumbers should just work on pipes, bakers should just bake things, cooks should just cook food, mechanics should just work on engines.

When you become a professional athlete,you do not give up your right to state your opinion any more than the plumber, baker, cook or mechanic does.
Why you guys care so much is puzzling.

Again, does your boss (or do you if you own a business) play the national anthem before every work day? Do you all stand at attention? If Jennifer in accounting didn't stand would she get fired (or should she get fired in your opinion)? The NFL does do this...and for some reason the actions of a very few of it's employees somehow tarnishes the whole product when, in point and fact, they are showing a form of patriotism that 99.9% of other businesses do not do.

If my mechanic, plumber or electrician came to my house boasting how they hate Trump and Obama was the greatest, I can fire them no questions asked. I didn't pay them for their political opinion; they are welcome to have that off the job. I pay them to do work that I need to be done. If I complain to their employer, and he tells his workers to keep their politics to themselves, and they disobey his orders, the employer has the right to fire them.

NFL players are hired to play the game - not all that other bullshit. Therefore, they have a 1st Amendment right to quietly protest prior to the game. After all - Tebow took a knee and no one complained. Oh, and Tebow wasn't protesting racial injustice.

maxresdefault.jpg
dudette, you are all over the place. I bet you don't even know what Tebow knelt for do you? And it wasn't during the anthem. so you are driving your truck with your feet.

A lot of people didn't see it that way, and it just wasn't our President. And even among those who did see it this way, some didn't think that disrupting the national anthem and disrespecting our veterans was any way to actually achieve racial justice.

i think if North Korea bombs us the military should kneel down and let the NFL players handle it!

Why? The players are protesting domestic issues, not the military.

But the military like most real Americans take offense when they protest in front of our flag or during the singing of the Anthem. The flag is a representation of this country and it's people. To disrespect our flag is to disrespect Americans that hold it dear to their hearts.

Why don't they protest outside the stadium before the game, after the game, or on their own time? The reason is THEY DO want to offend many Americans--not just the cops.

The NFL players, the police, the victims and their families are all real Americans and deserve the protections afforded to us by our Constitution. Among them is the right to protest. These are rights the military fights and dies for. The owners decided not to punish the players last year so why do you insist that they do it on their own time. Shouldn't the owners decide what they can or cannot do on company time?

i think if North Korea bombs us the military should kneel down and let the NFL players handle it!

But the military like most real Americans take offense when they protest in front of our flag or during the singing of the Anthem. The flag is a representation of this country and it's people. To disrespect our flag is to disrespect Americans that hold it dear to their hearts.

Why don't they protest outside the stadium before the game, after the game, or on their own time? The reason is THEY DO want to offend many Americans--not just the cops.

The NFL players, the police, the victims and their families are all real Americans and deserve the protections afforded to us by our Constitution. Among them is the right to protest. These are rights the military fights and dies for. The owners decided not to punish the players last year so why do you insist that they do it on their own time. Shouldn't the owners decide what they can or cannot do on company time?
they did.

they did.

Yep. Players are not required to be on the field or to stand for the ceremony if they remain in the locker room. Networks are not required to cover it either.

. Networks are not required to cover it either.

This part, I disagree with.

The networks definitely should be covering the national anthem and report to the people who isn't there, and who is on their knees during the event. This is news, the people have a RIGHT to know.

The networks definitely should be covering the national anthem and report to the people who isn't there, and who is on their knees during the event. This is news, the people have a RIGHT to know.

Ya Vol Herr Trumpybear!

LOL.

I think we need a new National Anthem. We are no longer the stoic underdog, suffering whither bombardment by offshore warships from the worlds eminent super power.

Something more befitting our policy of "Shock and Awe" then "Ops"

they did.

Yep. Players are not required to be on the field or to stand for the ceremony if they remain in the locker room. Networks are not required to cover it either.
and?

Ya Vol Herr Trumpybear!

LOL.

I think we need a new National Anthem. We are no longer the stoic underdog, suffering whither bombardment by offshore warships from the worlds eminent super power.

Something more befitting our policy of "Shock and Awe" then "Ops"
it's called history and honoring those who got us to today. wow, again I'm amazed that you all don't even understand your own country's anthem.

5b15c8422000004100b93603.jpeg

“They disagree with their President because he insists that they proudly stand for the National Anthem,” Trump tweeted about the Eagles players.

President Donald Trump rescinded an invitation for the Philadelphia Eagles to visit the White House on Tuesday to celebrate their Super Bowl victory.

“They disagree with their President because he insists that they proudly stand for the National Anthem, hand on heart, in honor of the great men and women of our military and the people of our country,” Trump said in a statement. “The Eagles wanted to send a smaller delegation, but the 1,000 fans planning to attend the event deserve better.”

He said the fans would still be welcome at the White House on Tuesday but for a different ceremony meant to “honor our great country” and “pay tribute to the heroes who fight to protect it.”

Several Eagles players, including safety Malcolm Jenkins and defensive end Chris Long, had said they would skip the ceremony due to ongoing attacks by the president against players that had knelt on the field in protest. Other players had waffled on their participation. Eagles officials had left the decision up to the players.

Some NFL players quickly took to social media to challenge the president’s assertion. Former Eagles wide receiver Torrey Smith, who played for the team during the Super Bowl, accused the White House of spreading a false narrative and said no one had refused the invitation “simply because Trump ‘insists’ folks stand for the anthem.”

“The men and women that wanted to go should’ve been able to go,” Smith wrote. “It’s a cowardly act to cancel the celebration because the majority of the people don’t want to see you. To make it about the anthem is foolish.”

More: Trump Disinvites Philadelphia Eagles From White House Super Bowl Celebration

Seems childish and thin-skinned to disinvite them. What do you think?

I wonder how many people realize that Trump doesn't really give a shit about the kneeling? It's a bludgeon he uses to beat his devoted Trumplodytes and work them into a frenzy, nothing more...

Look........while the Eagles never kneeled, it's obvious they support players that do. Trump was willing to put politics aside to honor those players. They told trump to jump in the lake. Yet in the mind of leftists, Trump is the bad guy.

From what I gathered reading the Philly papers the trip was set as of last Friday. Most but not all the team was going. In all about 81 which includes team members. staff. front office etc were set to attend. This according to team sources and the White House. Now somewhere over the weekend things changed. Something about changing the date, conflicts or whatever. The Eagles apparently then tried to set another date or something and things went sour and the WH cancelled the event though 1,000 or so Eagle fans were still going. I am going to take wild guess and finger Jeff Lurie the owner as the culprit because he would have had to approve any changes from the Eagles end and Lurie is a big time Clintonista so the WH may well be onto something in fingering the Eagles Lurie in particular for the fallout.
yes, exactly. Same as I heard. Not the president, the Eagles canceled this. Nick Foles was the only RSVP from the players.

Here, from News sources I'm sure you both trust:

Going on offense: Trump cancels Eagles after most blew off White House visit

...On a day when we could be talking about Paul Manafort being accused of witness tampering, the president's claim that he can pardon himself, or his latest slam against Jeff Sessions, many of us are focused on football.

I'm not saying Trump disinvited the Philadelphia Eagles from yesterday's White House event just to change the subject. But let's just say it was a fringe benefit.

As with his original attack on the NFL over player protests, the president's rhetoric is divisive. His supporters are applauding the middle-finger salute to the Super Bowl champions, while many others see it as a less-than-gracious insult—for a team on which no one kneeled in protest last season.

At bottom, the contretemps is personal: The former USFL team owner was ticked off that most of the Eagles didn't plan on showing up, with fewer than 10 expected. In the way he views the world, he was retaliating for a blatant dis. The last thing he wanted was a White House party with empty seats...

Trump Cancels Philadelphia Eagles Over Anthem Protest, Event Will Now Honor American Heroes | Breitbart

President Donald Trump revealed Monday evening that some of the Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles refused to stand for the National Anthem at a Tuesday White House event that was scheduled in their honor, leading the President to cancel their appearance....

At bottom, the contretemps is personal: The former USFL team owner was ticked off that most of the Eagles didn't plan on showing up, with fewer than 10 expected.

President Trump wasn't "ticked off" at all. The guests of honor weren't coming, the event was canceled. Why have an event that the honorees aren't interested in?

Its the NFL and the Philadelphia gridironers that lost out on the free publicity.

they did.

Why wouldn't they?

Networks get paid by attracting listeners and viewers. This is such a controversial subject, it would be complete stupidity to ignore it.

Yes they should and they did.

The US Constitution protects your right to not have your free speech stopped by the government. It doesn't say anything about private industry.

I can't go to work Monday and tell my boss he's a complete asshole, and he can't do anything to me because I have free speech. I have protection from government stopping my free speech, but not from anybody else.

Forum List

Back