anti-discrimination laws are the antithesis of freedom

Equal accommodation is the cornerstone of freedom. In the land of the free, you're not free to do harm to others without consequences.

Refusing to accommodate someone is not harming them. Equal protection is the cornerstone of freedom, and trying to force equal accommodation violates equal protection.

Public accommodation laws lessens our property rights and right to associate with whomever we please. They should be scrapped entirely. The free market will decide if a business that doesn’t serve X, Y, or Z will succeed or fail. Sadly, this not very likely to occur anytime soon.

The very concept of “protected classes” violates the constitutional promise of equal protection.

Accommodation doesn't imply, or even support, protected classes. All public services must be available to all member of the public. That is the intent and working of accommodation laws.

That is certainly NOT the intent, nor the wording. Accommodation laws only apply in certain limited situations regarding protected. classes. The intent has always been to squelch specific kinds of unpopular public bias. Other biases are apparently acceptable.

Last edited:
There's a old legal saying that 'Your right to swing your fist ends at the nose of another man'.

What you believe in private, or espouse in public, is simply your business.

However, when your beliefs turn into actions that actively do harm to others, you've reached the other man's nose.

Equal accommodation is the cornerstone of freedom. In the land of the free, you're not free to do harm to others without consequences.

I have to side with K9 on this one. The very concept of “protected classes” violates the constitutional promise of equal protection. You cannot have the latter as long as the former exist.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Why were protected classes necessary?

What that not because whites made themselves a protected class?

WTF were you guys taught by American history?

You've added NOTHING to this discussion. Are you able to do so?

I think I have. So now can you answer the questions or are you going to utilize the standard tactics of avoidance and diversion?

You can find my answers in my previous statements in this thread.

Supposedly free people should be able to discriminate against anyone they like for any reason or no reason. anti-discrimination laws allow the government to dictate to private people. Unfortunately, I doubt that the U.S. will ever eliminate such laws. Now, sing it with me..."And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free..."

So you have no problem with rational people discriminating against evangelicals and conservatives?

i'll bet not.

Supposedly free people should be able to discriminate against anyone they like for any reason or no reason. anti-discrimination laws allow the government to dictate to private people. Unfortunately, I doubt that the U.S. will ever eliminate such laws. Now, sing it with me..."And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free..."

So you have no problem with rational people discriminating against evangelicals and conservatives?

i'll bet not.

No problem that should be addressed by government.

i'll bet not.

I didn't say that it's a good thing or the right thing, just that it shouldn't be illegal.

Equal accommodation is the cornerstone of freedom.

I disagree. A baker can't decline to bake a cake because of the government. That's not "freedom", that's totalitarianism.

Besides, discrimination laws aren't needed. If a business engaged in blatant, ugly discrimination, word would spread quickly and that business would suffer and probably cease to exist.

How many employees does the fed, state and local governments employ to make sure that baker has to make that cake? As a society, is this really necessary? Worse case scenario is the gay guy goes somewhere else and gets his cake.

So, not only are such laws contrary to the principles of freedom, they're also costly and unnecessary.

It's always amazed me that for all the hoopla over the 'gay cake' issue, not one ever thought of the simple answer.

Simply don't offer custom cakes. Limit your customer choices to a list of set phrases, as long a list as you like, and don't offer alternative. No one can force a company offer a product it doesn't purport to provide. You can't sue Home Depot into selling ladies lingerie (although it would certainly make shopping there more interesting).

There is a reason why Carvel hasn't been forced to make a rainbow Cookiepuss ... it's just isn't on the menu.

However, if you're going to offer any variety of cake on demand, you must be prepared to serve anyone who asks for your wares, regardless of how you feel about them personally.

If I was allowed to only do business with people I liked, I would literally have no customers.

who are you to tell others what they can or cant do???

its not like they are the only baker,,,

Your idea of "freedom" gives freedom to only some of the people. The people who face discrimination on a daily basis aren't free. They have to navigate through a mine field of ill will, rejection, and bigotry. You're free to hate anyone you choose. But the objects of your derrision have the right to be free from abuse from bigotted assholes.

The idea that the "freedom" to express hatred, bigotry, and prejudice is somehow an ideal that Americans should strive for is un-Christian, un-American, and the antithesis of a civil community.

Equal accommodation is the cornerstone of freedom.

I disagree. A baker can't decline to bake a cake because of the government. That's not "freedom", that's totalitarianism.

Nobody forced that person to become a baker, or to open a bakery shop providing goods and services to the public.
did you ever think that he doesnt offer gay cakes as a service???

its his company so he is the one that decides what he does or doesnt offer

Your idea of "freedom" gives freedom to only some of the people. The people who face discrimination on a daily basis aren't free.

Of course they are. Everyone faces discrimination on a daily basis. These laws aren't about freedom. They're social engineering projects targeting specific, unpopular biases for suppression.

Why should a citizen have to jump through a bunch of proverbial hoops to avoid having to make a cake for a gay wedding?

It's not going through a hoop, it's truth in advertising... If I offer my customer's 'any design they want' I can't very well decline a customer for coming up with a design which I find personally offensive.
they never said they were offended,,,just that they didnt want to be a part of that as is their right

Has anyone mentioner that federal public accommodation laws are unconstitutional in the first damn place?

Forum List

Back