Anti-gunner lunatics are getting hoisted by their own petards.

And the NRA will be laughing all the way to the bank, all while not doing shit for the average gun owner like myself.

Exactly correct - The NRA used to represent the average sportsman who also prepares for the unlikely event of a home invasion such as myself. They were fairly apolitical.

That changed at the turn of the century. At this point they are whores for industry manufacturers and don't care who they sell to or whether that gun actually has home defense or hunting applications.

The once mighty and respected have fallen.

What changed was the relatively new push to get rid of the 2nd Amendment. The NRA had to step up and step up they did. the NRA protects your right to the gun you pretend to have. To say that they haven't done anything for gun owners is the height of willful ignorance and downright stupidity.

Who are the national politicians currently behind a repeal of the 2nd Amendment. Let's have the complete list.

Do you understand that MOST of the progs here in USMB are gun owners?

SBS = Stop Being Stupid

They all lie about the NRA's "money" influence anyways. They don't know what the hell they are talking about, and it is obvious if you dig just a BIT under the surface. As usual, libs use hyperbole and lies because they have NO valid arguments otherwise.

Don't blame the NRA for failed gun control efforts

There's only one problem with that theory. It's all wrong.

Of course, the NRA does spend money and it does have a sophisticated and persistent messaging operation. But so do dozens of other organizations and causes. So, how does the NRA stack up against them?

Not too well. The NRA, gun makers, and gun rights issues do not even show up on the OpenSecrets website lists for top lobbying firms, top lobbying sectors, top lobbying issues, or top lobbying industries for the years 1998-2017.

The figures for Florida Senator Marco Rubio are particularly educational, since he has been a target of a lot of anti-NRA screeds since the shooting in his home state. A look at the top 20 donors to Rubio directly and his PAC since 2009 does not include the NRA. Over his career since 2009, Rubio has raised a total of more than $91 million in donations. The NRA is responsible for just over $3 million of that, or 3.3 percent. Big whoop, as they say. Yes, $3 million is a lot of money and more than most of us could ever donate to anything. But context is everything, and the even a so-called "poster boy" for NRA donations would only be 3.3 percent lighter in campaign cash without them.

Again, that certainly doesn't mean the NRA isn't spending a lot of money. But the Poltifact fact-checking website puts the total amount of NRA spending since 1998 at $203 million. That figure is even smaller than it looks when you consider 30 percent of Americans, or about 100 million people, own a gun. By contrast, Wall Street and the broader financial industrial shelled out more than $1.1 billion in the 2016 election cycle alone. The financial industry employs only about six million people in total.

The bulk of that $203 million doesn't actually go to candidates as the hysterical tweets and finger pointers seem to believe. It's spent on those "issue ads" that you see mostly on cable news channels during election years. But even if those ads are extremely influential, they are a much different animal than direct campaign donations to individual congressional and presidential candidates.

There's even a question of whether the NRA is very persuasive among actual gun owners. Fewer than 20 percent of American gun owners are even NRA members. That should tell us something about the "chicken or the egg" argument about the gun lobby. The NRA is much more likely piggybacking off the beliefs of gun owners as opposed to framing them in the first place. The real power is with those voting gun owners, not the lobby group that purports to represent them.

Some gun control advocates are wise to this fact. New America senior fellow Lee Drutman has been working to debunk the myth of the all-powerful NRA's money for several years. Beginning in 2012, he noted the NRA hadn't even made donations to a majority of members of Congress. He also made the correct designation between allegiance and influence. That is, the NRA supports candidates that already align with its philosophy as opposed to paying them to toe the line.

Former New York City mayor and media billionaire Mike Bloomberg has thus made a futile point over the years to combat the NRA's money machine. Bloomberg founded "Everytown for Gun Safety" in 2014based on matching the NRA's financial clout. It hasn't been a total political failure. But in the wake of so many mass shootings since 2014, it's also fair to say Everytown hasn't been able to shepherd any new significant national gun laws to passage either.

Yes - she should have added the word assault, but that WAS the context of the conversation.

Give up the ghost Boots
What was she going to "round up" or have Mr. and Ms. America "turn in" if she could have?

She is, by definition, a gun grabber. She wanted to force Americans to turn in guns, WHATEVER THEY MAY BE.

(you realize you just walked right into a trap)

Assault STYLE with a 30 round magazine .. The AR-15 qualifies.
So, STYLE is the operative term here. If it LOOKS scary, it's bad, right?

30-round magazines do not really make a shooter all that much more effective.

To illustrate your point, the Virginia Tech shooter shot 33 people dead. Almost twice what Cruz killed in Parkland. The VT shooter used two pistols with 8 round magazines.

AR-15 = 17 dead
Glock + Walther = 33 dead

Who are the national politicians currently behind a repeal of the 2nd Amendment. Let's have the complete list.

Do you understand that MOST of the progs here in USMB are gun owners?

SBS = Stop Being Stupid
Why repeal the 2nd if you can simply make it about a militia, and not an individual right?

Name one elected Democrat who will admit that the right to own guns is an individual right, not tied to a militia.

SBS

Support freedom, support the constitution, don't give in to the emotional stupidity of the left. Support the NRA.
No thanks, I'll keep my firearms and my money...

Predfan thinks that the NRA is the 2nd amendment....

The NRA has you guys all scared..

All they have to do is call out their little army.. Fking assult weapons ban expired in 2004 , what are you protecting ?

there's no doubt that if it wasn't for the NRA, there would no longer be a 2nd Amendment. And stop trying to tell others what they think, you suck at it.

Then you apparently are not smart enough to know what goes into repealing an amendment and getting her done. The NRA has done nothing except sell more guns to scaredy cats.

Bull shit. I know exactly what it takes. in the time the NRA has been actively protecting the 2nd, it could very well have been done. The NRA doesn't sell guns and using your uninformed faulty logic, 0bama was a much better salesman than the NRA is. Try thinking for a change.

To illustrate your point, the Virginia Tech shooter shot 33 people dead. Almost twice what Cruz killed in Parkland. The VT shooter used two pistols with 8 round magazines.

AR-15 = 17 dead
Glock + Walther = 33 dead
Must have been those dangerous 8-round mags.
:lol:

Aww, cheer up! Eh, who am I kidding, I don't feel like cheering up, either.
Cant cheer up a miserable liberal, they cant ever be happy. Which is why they must FORCE their misery on the rest of US and the 2nd amendment wont let that happen. See?

You are the ones forcing Americans to die by your damn killing laws.. Remember that assault guns expired in 2004..its your corrupt NRA made sure that they didn't renew the ban.

:slap: It's over, you lost.

Not on this one Marion... your NRA is showing Americans just how powerful they are.. No group should have this much power in America..
I understand you want your gun rights but this group is running America behind the scenes

God I hope so.

You hope that a group is running America, and you hold on to your guns worried about the government? Wow are you brainwashed..

You know, today I have to agree with that. It wasn't always like that, though. No sir, and not all that long ago, either.

How can an American political party not be for what America is about? That doesn't seem to make much sense.
How can an American political party not be for what America is about?
Because when Obama realized that killing 33,000 liberal babies a month was slowly causing the Democrap Party to go extinct and the left hating on all working class Americans, the party of the left moved to pander to illegals, because those new slaves would vote for the party...

Oh shut up you hypocrite..its a damn ploy that you all seem to care so much for these babies..what else do you do for them except talk.?

Hypocrite? Bwaaaaahhhhaaaahhhhaaaaaa...

Matt Vespa - Confirmed: Obama Is The Best ‘Gun Salesman Of The Decade’
Gun production has more than doubled over the course of the Obama administration, according to a new report from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
So here is the gist of the situation.
A. Gun and ammo manufactures start having problems with sales.
B. They pander to liberals who say they will take away guns and ammo from the citizens of the US.
C. Citizens go out and buy up more guns and ammo.
D. Manufacturers make obscene profits, so pay into the election campaign coffers of liberals for re-election.
E. Rinse and Repeat..

See what I mean, Bwaaaaahhhhaaaahhhhaaaaa.

And, gun manufacturers are probably the largest contributors to the NRA. this push by the left has already increased gun sales and that will bring the NRA more money. Yet another case of the left's stupidity biting them on the ass.
Because of plutocracy it's a citizens fault what a corporation does with their patsy's money?

Try reading it again slowly.

One more reason to tear each other up. Nothing is going to get done. If the Parkland shooting had happened on October 31, 2018, it might have made a difference. Not now. I predict March 14 and March 24 marches will fizzle like a wet match. 70% of the country supports banning AR-type guns. Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell will not let such legislation even come to the floor.
Why bother arguing it? Because it's one more reason to tear each other up.

Where do you get that 70% number?
Polls reported on the news.

Ohhh, those kind of polls. :badgrin:

:right:
A CNN poll reported by The Blaze:

What did the poll find?

The poll, conducted Feb. 20-23 among a sample of 1,016 respondents, found that 70 percent of American adults favor stricter gun control laws while just 27 are opposed.

The numbers mark a significant shift in public opinion on the issue, even after mass shootings. The same poll found that after the Las Vegas massacre last October, just 52 percent of American adults favored stricter gun control laws, while 44 percent didn’t.

And after the Pulse Nightclub shooting in June 2016, only 55 percent of adults told CNN they were in favor of increased gun regulations while 42 percent said they opposed them.

The last time CNN’s poll registered such high support for stricter gun control laws was in December 1993, when 70 percent of Americans said then they supported increased gun regulations.
New poll finds gun control support rising to levels seen just before 1994 assault weapons ban

A USA Today poll:
The poll found 63 percent of respondents believe weapons like the AR-15 should be banned. It is not clear from the polling if those surveyed support a full ban of semi-automatic weapons, or a ban of the AR-15 in particular, which was used in the Florida high school shooting and other recent mass shootings.

Majority support increased gun restrictions: poll

Seems the tv announcers are exaggerating a bit, mixing up their terms. "Stricter gun control laws" does not equal "banning AR-type rifles." However, according to the USA Today poll, 63% do. So thank you for helping me get that all straight.

yup, and Trump has no chance of being president. The polls say so.

Yes - she should have added the word assault, but that WAS the context of the conversation.

Give up the ghost Boots
What was she going to "round up" or have Mr. and Ms. America "turn in" if she could have?

She is, by definition, a gun grabber. She wanted to force Americans to turn in guns, WHATEVER THEY MAY BE.

(you realize you just walked right into a trap)

SBS

Cant cheer up a miserable liberal, they cant ever be happy. Which is why they must FORCE their misery on the rest of US and the 2nd amendment wont let that happen. See?

You are the ones forcing Americans to die by your damn killing laws.. Remember that assault guns expired in 2004..its your corrupt NRA made sure that they didn't renew the ban.

Not on this one Marion... your NRA is showing Americans just how powerful they are.. No group should have this much power in America..
I understand you want your gun rights but this group is running America behind the scenes

God I hope so.

You hope that a group is running America, and you hold on to your guns worried about the government? Wow are you brainwashed..

You at the ones who say we need to get rid of guns , then rely on that government to take care of US while the government once again fails to protect.

when-seconds-count-the-police-are-only-minutes-away-n.jpg

They all lie about the NRA's "money" influence anyways. They don't know what the hell they are talking about, and it is obvious if you dig just a BIT under the surface. As usual, libs use hyperbole and lies because they have NO valid arguments otherwise.

Of course, the NRA does spend money and it does have a sophisticated and persistent messaging operation. But so do dozens of other organizations and causes. So, how does the NRA stack up against them?

Not too well. The NRA, gun makers, and gun rights issues do not even show up on the OpenSecrets website lists for top lobbying firms, top lobbying sectors, top lobbying issues, or top lobbying industries for the years 1998-2017.

The figures for Florida Senator Marco Rubio are particularly educational, since he has been a target of a lot of anti-NRA screeds since the shooting in his home state. A look at the top 20 donors to Rubio directly and his PAC since 2009 does not include the NRA. Over his career since 2009, Rubio has raised a total of more than $91 million in donations. The NRA is responsible for just over $3 million of that, or 3.3 percent. Big whoop, as they say. Yes, $3 million is a lot of money and more than most of us could ever donate to anything. But context is everything, and the even a so-called "poster boy" for NRA donations would only be 3.3 percent lighter in campaign cash without them.

Again, that certainly doesn't mean the NRA isn't spending a lot of money. But the Poltifact fact-checking website puts the total amount of NRA spending since 1998 at $203 million. That figure is even smaller than it looks when you consider 30 percent of Americans, or about 100 million people, own a gun. By contrast, Wall Street and the broader financial industrial shelled out more than $1.1 billion in the 2016 election cycle alone. The financial industry employs only about six million people in total.

The bulk of that $203 million doesn't actually go to candidates as the hysterical tweets and finger pointers seem to believe. It's spent on those "issue ads" that you see mostly on cable news channels during election years. But even if those ads are extremely influential, they are a much different animal than direct campaign donations to individual congressional and presidential candidates.

There's even a question of whether the NRA is very persuasive among actual gun owners. Fewer than 20 percent of American gun owners are even NRA members. That should tell us something about the "chicken or the egg" argument about the gun lobby. The NRA is much more likely piggybacking off the beliefs of gun owners as opposed to framing them in the first place. The real power is with those voting gun owners, not the lobby group that purports to represent them.

Some gun control advocates are wise to this fact. New America senior fellow Lee Drutman has been working to debunk the myth of the all-powerful NRA's money for several years. Beginning in 2012, he noted the NRA hadn't even made donations to a majority of members of Congress. He also made the correct designation between allegiance and influence. That is, the NRA supports candidates that already align with its philosophy as opposed to paying them to toe the line.

Former New York City mayor and media billionaire Mike Bloomberg has thus made a futile point over the years to combat the NRA's money machine. Bloomberg founded "Everytown for Gun Safety" in 2014based on matching the NRA's financial clout. It hasn't been a total political failure. But in the wake of so many mass shootings since 2014, it's also fair to say Everytown hasn't been able to shepherd any new significant national gun laws to passage either.

I am beginning to see just how wrong you are..just watch the NRA as the people start standing up to them.. They hide behind their little paid off army.

I have a feeling if it said 70% percent oppose stricter gun control laws, you'd be shouting it from the roof tops. No reason to laugh at it.
Show me a poll with a much better sampling size, and I might buy it.

Also, I would like to see the questions. I participated in countless human experiments when I was an undergrad student. I learned really fast how the wording of a question can swing the numbers.

Voting tends to be more persuasive to me, and anytime there is a threat of gun control, DEMOCRATS lose seats. That tells me all I need to know.

Protected your right to have those guns you pretend to have. But you knew that already. Your bull shit is annoying me. Got anything of substance?

Oh yeah, they are just pretend guns! Silly little boy thinks anyone that is not a sheep for the NRA could not possibly own a gun or two. What a joke you have become very quickly. 20 years in the Corps leaves a hard to break habit of liking to shoot at shit from time to time.

No I just know that there are a legion of lefties who don't know which end of a gun the bullet comes out of who are trying to take guns away and kill the NRA and they all say; "I'm a gun owner but..." or "I have been around guns all my life but...." and that's some serious bull shit right there. And lying about military service is also a typical tact.

I was certified as an instructor for every automatic weapon in the Marine Corps arsenal, I am pretty sure I know which end the bullet comes out of. Not to mention qualifying with the M16A2 service rifle 14 times and the .45/9mm 18 times in my 20 years of service.

As far as my service goes I have posted proof of it multiple times on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Meh, you are a proven liar. Why should I believe anything you say. Regardless, the NRA protects all of our 2nd Amendment rights, that's what they do for you.

NRA protects nothing except their salaries.

Just stupid. If that were true, the left wouldn't give a shit nor would they be actively trying to blame it.

I am beginning to see just how wrong you are..just watch the NRA as the people start standing up to them.. They hide behind their little paid off army.

The NRA is a special interest group (no different than ANY liberal special interest group) that supports and helps to defend our rights. Sorry if that bothers you so much. I will continue to vote against the anti-rights politicians and keep donating money to the NRA for educational ads and such.

God I hope so.

You at the ones who say we need to get rid of guns , then rely on that government to take care of US while the government once again fails to protect.

View attachment 179294

You are listening to the Jibber Jabber that they are feeding you... Try thinking for yourself Andaronjim.

Liberals are complacent fools is all. The whole POINT of our rights and the 2nd amendment goes like "woosh" right over their little pin heads. :D

The NRA is a special interest group (no different than ANY liberal special interest group) that supports and helps to defend our rights. Sorry if that bothers you so much. I will continue to vote against the anti-rights politicians and keep donating money to the NRA for educational ads and such.
That is all fine and dandy...but you are wrong, besides the Big Pharma who has both sides paid off..show be a group that has as much power as the NRA..
So many still think that the NRA is the 2nd Amendment..

Forum List

Back