Anyone wanna join a cult? :)

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Thinking of how all the really popular religions deny, repress, and basicly are a whole bunch of no-fun, I wonder why no one revives any of the old Greek religions where their deities were all about having fun. Thinking of Dionysus/Bacchus (Greek/Roman verisons) why not start a cult of Bacchus as existed in ancient Rome where 'worship' involved holding banquets with good food, good drink, and an orgy afterwords? Wouldn't that be more fun than a reliigon where all that's forbidden?

Seems like religion is exactly like that bit from "The Matrix" where Agent Smith's interrogating Morpheous and telling him how the first Matrix was a complete failure giving everyone everything they wanted like a paradise. And how it wasn't until the Mtarix became the misery-filled world it is now that it succeeded. As though people need suffering to flourish.

But how about we try it the other way for a bit? Have a cult where weekly services are just a big banquet with great food, great drink, and great sex. Worked fine in Greece and Rome and we came tor egard those civilizations as the best of us. This new trend of denying ourselves pleasure is just a fad we better hope. Or our only historical legacy will be future generations laughing at us for starting religions based on misery and denial. "Stupid fools turning repression of sexuality into a state religion." Did we learn nothing from "1984?"

Thinking of how all the really popular religions deny, repress, and basicly are a whole bunch of no-fun, I wonder why no one revives any of the old Greek religions where their deities were all about having fun. Thinking of Dionysus/Bacchus (Greek/Roman verisons) why not start a cult of Bacchus as existed in ancient Rome where 'worship' involved holding banquets with good food, good drink, and an orgy afterwords? Wouldn't that be more fun than a reliigon where all that's forbidden?

Seems like religion is exactly like that bit from "The Matrix" where Agent Smith's interrogating Morpheous and telling him how the first Matrix was a complete failure giving everyone everything they wanted like a paradise. And how it wasn't until the Mtarix became the misery-filled world it is now that it succeeded. As though people need suffering to flourish.

But how about we try it the other way for a bit? Have a cult where weekly services are just a big banquet with great food, great drink, and great sex. Worked fine in Greece and Rome and we came tor egard those civilizations as the best of us. This new trend of denying ourselves pleasure is just a fad we better hope. Or our only historical legacy will be future generations laughing at us for starting religions based on misery and denial. "Stupid fools turning repression of sexuality into a state religion." Did we learn nothing from "1984?"

You don't need to join a cult to get laid Sport.

Do if ya wanna be able to talk about it freely and without guilt or shame. :)

PoliticalChic, Where_R_My_Keys, and SaintMichaelDefendThem are the go to guys for joining a cult.

Why are the most repressive religions the most popular, but the most permissive ones the least popular?

People generally, like the far right Christian conservatives, need to be directed and controlled.

Why are the most repressive religions the most popular, but the most permissive ones the least popular?

First of all, no, I'm not going to be having an orgy with you, and I'm not being repressive against you by setting that boundary there to protect myself from whatever unknown cooties you might be carrying, so to speak. Even so, I don't want to discourage you from asking around, there might be some people interested in your cult. If you need that sort of thing to understand your spirituality, as strange as it is, though I suspect that eventually whatever pleasure you find in it would fall away to leave only some kind of pain or regret. You might consider all your cravings and desires from head to toe and realize that giving in to all temptations is poor discipline or a lack of self control.

Well.....he does

Forum List

Back