anyone worried about their government checks next month?

So you can't say that a single Republican is willing to raise their own taxes for the good of the country.

Not unexpected.

I voted Republican through 2016, I would.

For example, the below would (a) raise my taxes, and (b) ensure solvancy of social security...

I've come to believe that we need a re-evaluation of SS Taxes in general. The workforce and economy are very different than they were in 1935 when the system was created. Now I'm leaning more toward, making SS Tax applicable to all income the same way it is determined for Income Tax (wage, interest, dividends, short term stock commodities, and long term capital gains) as a new revenue source. As such:

• Current SS tax of 12.4% would remain (6.2% by the EE and 6.2% by the ER).
  • Non-wage income would be taxed at a rate equal to 25% of the total FICA rate or another way to say it as 1/2 of the individual EE rate. That would currently be 3.1%.
  • Financial institutions would be required to collect the 3.1% at the time of posting, just like employers (ERs) collect it at the time of payment.
  • Because the non-wage rate is 25% of the wage rate (3.1% compared to the FICA total of 12.4%), then 25% of non-wage income would be credited to SS Income for that year.
  • Current cap of 160K on wage income could remain the same.
  • A cap of 160K would also apply to non-wage income.
  • The sum of the wage credit and non-wage credit is posted as the total SS Income for the year which is then used to determine SS benefit amounts.
Example:

A high wage earner makes $300K in wages, taxes are collected on wages up to $160K for a total of $19,840 in wage tax. Applicable income credited for the year for future benefits calculations is $160K. If the same person has in additional $100K of passive investment income, the SS Tax would be $3,100 at 3.1%. Total SS Taxes would then be $22,940. 25% of the $100K passive income would be credited to SS Income for the year equaling $25K since the tax rate is 25% of the full FICA rate. So the individuals total SS Income credited for the year would be $160 + $25K = $185K.

A "Low Wage" earner making say $40K would pay 6.2% ($2,480) on wages. If they had $500 in interest then $3.1% = $15.50). Total SS Income for the year would then be credited as $40,125. $125 being 25% of the $500 in interest.

WW

I voted Republican through 2016, I would.

For example, the below would (a) raise my taxes, and (b) ensure solvancy of social security...

I've come to believe that we need a re-evaluation of SS Taxes in general. The workforce and economy are very different than they were in 1935 when the system was created. Now I'm leaning more toward, making SS Tax applicable to all income the same way it is determined for Income Tax (wage, interest, dividends, short term stock commodities, and long term capital gains) as a new revenue source. As such:

• Current SS tax of 12.4% would remain (6.2% by the EE and 6.2% by the ER).
  • Non-wage income would be taxed at a rate equal to 25% of the total FICA rate or another way to say it as 1/2 of the individual EE rate. That would currently be 3.1%.
  • Financial institutions would be required to collect the 3.1% at the time of posting, just like employers (ERs) collect it at the time of payment.
  • Because the non-wage rate is 25% of the wage rate (3.1% compared to the FICA total of 12.4%), then 25% of non-wage income would be credited to SS Income for that year.
  • Current cap of 160K on wage income could remain the same.
  • A cap of 160K would also apply to non-wage income.
  • The sum of the wage credit and non-wage credit is posted as the total SS Income for the year which is then used to determine SS benefit amounts.
Example:

A high wage earner makes $300K in wages, taxes are collected on wages up to $160K for a total of $19,840 in wage tax. Applicable income credited for the year for future benefits calculations is $160K. If the same person has in additional $100K of passive investment income, the SS Tax would be $3,100 at 3.1%. Total SS Taxes would then be $22,940. 25% of the $100K passive income would be credited to SS Income for the year equaling $25K since the tax rate is 25% of the full FICA rate. So the individuals total SS Income credited for the year would be $160 + $25K = $185K.

A "Low Wage" earner making say $40K would pay 6.2% ($2,480) on wages. If they had $500 in interest then $3.1% = $15.50). Total SS Income for the year would then be credited as $40,125. $125 being 25% of the $500 in interest.

WW
Agreed except I would eliminate the cap on FICA taxes.
I'd consider lowering the rates above a certain income level but I'm sure a CEO making $15M a year can afford the increase.

Forum List

Back