April Jobs report looks dismal, March numbers to be revised????

In other words, there have been 26 straight months of job growth, but that the overall job loss caused by the bushie and will GOP/Dem congress policies has not been recovered. Yes, job growth has occurred. To say otherwise is an obvious lie, which will not go over with clear thinking Republicans, moderates, and independents.
If the growth is not more than the loss is it a gain?
Is Two steps forwards and three steps backwards a gain?

So let me see;

a person retires, he willfully leaves the workforce, BUT he is still counted in the basket number as a head in the labor force ( participation rate)?

a person is discouraged, they just stop looking but would work if offered and they are part of the same count?

In other words, there have been 26 straight months of job growth, but that the overall job loss caused by the bushie and will GOP/Dem congress policies has not been recovered. Yes, job growth has occurred. To say otherwise is an obvious lie, which will not go over with clear thinking Republicans, moderates, and independents.

of course theres job growth, however, I for one am not satisfied with the 'new normal' being peddled, because thats whats being sold.

of course theres job growth, however, I for one am not satisfied with the 'new normal' being peddled, because thats whats being sold.

Thank you, Trajan: I agree with you completely. Obama has to go, Romney has to be elected. And MR has to tell Congress to get its collective act and ass together or he will govern by Executive Order.

We cannot be governed by either extreme; neither are care about Americans or the country's welfare.

I hear you
the chocolate ration went up to 25 grams per week

It went so higj, which they want no blame, but any decrease is hailed as
a miracle. Even now you see some MSM stories trying to peddle the idea that
high unemployment is good/norm or being unemployed isn't so bad
Mind you, this is the same media that was practically suicidal when Bush had 5.6 percent unemployment.
Really, how long do they have to hold Papa Obama's hand?

This is balanced by the left's spending. After raising the percentage of spending per GDP,
they now want to act like this is the new norm as well

In defense of the left,
they are trying their best to put a spin on the very bad economic
record of Papa Obama

Last edited:
So let me see;

a person retires, he willfully leaves the workforce, BUT he is still counted in the basket number as a head in the labor force ( participation rate)?
since he's not working and not looking for work, he's not in the labor force. He is still in the population.

a person is discouraged, they just stop looking but would work if offered and they are part of the same count?
again, not in the labor force, still in the population.

Sorry, not really sure what youmean by "basket number"

So let me see;

since he's not working and not looking for work, he's not in the labor force. He is still in the population.

again, not in the labor force, still in the population.

Sorry, not really sure what youmean by "basket number"

Does he have a job? Is he employed?

I must be delusional too. I could have sworn that we just had our 26th consecutive month of private sector job growth, the UE rate ticked downward and gas prices have eased of late. But.....the mood is so sour among so many here...........there must be some bad news consuming them.

What job growth we are a long way from 2009 levels and that wasn't even bottom.

fredgraph.png

LoneLaugher answered his own statement with "I must be delusional too." :lol:

At best we have been bouncing along a flat-line for 3 years. Notice how the "Recovery Summer" looks like tits on a gnat.

Stagflation has become the "New Normal" under Obama. :mad:

I must be delusional too. I could have sworn that we just had our 26th consecutive month of private sector job growth, the UE rate ticked downward and gas prices have eased of late. But.....the mood is so sour among so many here...........there must be some bad news consuming them.

What job growth we are a long way from 2009 levels and that wasn't even bottom.

fredgraph.png

LoneLaugher answered his own statement with "I must be delusional too." :lol:

At best we have been bouncing along a flat-line for 3 years. Notice how the "Recovery Summer" looks like tits on a gnat.

Stagflation has become the "New Normal" under Obama. :mad:

yep Two steps forward and three steps back.

Barack Obama has decided that the only way to lower the unemployment rate is to kill off jobs. The unemployment rate went down one-tenth of a percent from 8.2% to 8.1%, but the number of people who left the labor force is at an all-time high.

But what of Labor force participation?

People Not In Labor Force Soar By 522,000, Labor Force Participation Rate Lowest Since 1981

Chart-1.jpg

People20Not20In20Labor20Force_0.jpg

it is just getting sad now. In April the number of people not in the labor force rose by a whopping 522,000 from 87,897,000 to
88,419,000. This is the highest on record. The flip side, and the reason why the unemployment dropped to 8.1% is that the labor force participation rate just dipped to a new 30 year low of 64.3%.​

ObamaUnemploymentMathAP.jpg

(IMAGE: EIB )​

It's over 88 million Americans not working. The labor force participation rate -- that is, the universe of all jobs available -- is skyrocketing upward. And that means fewer people are counted in the whole equation, which means the unemployment rate is plummeting​

LINK

MORE LINKS:

ZeroHedge: People Not In Labor Force Soar By 522,000, Labor Force Participation Rate Lowest Since 1981
Breitbart.com: 29.7 Million Seek Work
MSNBC: A Teen With a Job Becomes a Rarity in U.S.
IBD: Labor Force Shrinks As Jobless Swell Disability Ranks
AP: A Modest Economy Seems to be Keeping Lid on Hiring
AEI: The Awful April Jobs Report: Is the ‘Real’ Unemployment Rate 11.1%? - James Pethokoukis
Washington Post: Biden Predicts Economy Will Create Up to 500,000 Jobs a Month Soon - 04.23.10
AP: US Worker Output Fell in Q1 by Most in a Year

Personally, I am not so much interested in how the 16 to 19 year old employment levels are doing. I am more interested in the trend for 20 years and older. So the data and graphs are for just the 20 plus years of age crowd.

So, this is the trend

000-00EmpLevel20Plus2010to2-2012.gif

That is actually nice. The employment level for 20+ is continuing to increase, and has been since 2010.

Like I said, the reason that the rate is flat is because the population is rising underneath the employment level.

The rate for 20 years and older is

000-00EmpRate20Plus2010to2-2012.gif

And it is pretty clear, from the two, that the employment level is just keeping up with population growth.

The percentage change for population and for employment level look like this

000-00EmpLeveRateChg2010to2-2012.gif

Those jumps in the %ChgPop are recalibration of the CPS CNIP.

The trend lines for each are shown.

Overall, the rate of change for the CPOP is fairly flat at 0.100% per month over the 2010 through 2-2012 period. EmpLevel20+ is about 0.115% per month. So, over that entire period, Emplevel just a tad bit ahead of population growth.

So, jobs are being added to the economy. Employment is going up for the over 20 crowd. It is as good as I would like? No. Is it bad? No.

I didn't include March or April because I already downloaded the data in March and really don't feel like doing it all again. I'm still working on how to download from the ftp site.

The trend is pretty obvious and March/April aren't going to be particularly off of the obvious trend. The upward trend is just apparent, buried beneath the seasonal variation. And all in all, the point is that employment has been moving upward, not a lot, but upward.

Maybe, after I figure out the ftp site, and link Access into it, I'll run it again.

Barack Obama has decided that the only way to lower the unemployment rate is to kill off jobs. The unemployment rate went down one-tenth of a percent from 8.2% to 8.1%, but the number of people who left the labor force is at an all-time high.

People Not In Labor Force Soar By 522,000, Labor Force Participation Rate Lowest Since 1981

Chart-1.jpg

it is just getting sad now. In April the number of people not in the labor force rose by a whopping 522,000 from 87,897,000 to
88,419,000. This is the highest on record. The flip side, and the reason why the unemployment dropped to 8.1% is that the labor force participation rate just dipped to a new 30 year low of 64.3%.​

It's over 88 million Americans not working. The labor force participation rate -- that is, the universe of all jobs available -- is skyrocketing upward. And that means fewer people are counted in the whole equation, which means the unemployment rate is plummeting​

LINK

MORE LINKS:

ZeroHedge: People Not In Labor Force Soar By 522,000, Labor Force Participation Rate Lowest Since 1981
AEI: The Awful April Jobs Report: Is the ‘Real’ Unemployment Rate 11.1%? - James Pethokoukis
Washington Post: Biden Predicts Economy Will Create Up to 500,000 Jobs a Month Soon - 04.23.10

Now there is a pretty useless statistic, the level of people not in the labor force.

Persons who are neither employed nor unemployed are not in the labor force. This category includes retired persons, students, those taking care of children or other family members, and others who are neither working nor seeking work.

You really don't know what your looking at.

Personally, I am not so much interested in how the 16 to 19 year old employment levels are doing. I am more interested in the trend for 20 years and older. So the data and graphs are for just the 20 plus years of age crowd.

So, this is the trend

000-00EmpLevel20Plus2010to2-2012.gif

That is actually nice. The employment level for 20+ is continuing to increase, and has been since 2010.

Like I said, the reason that the rate is flat is because the population is rising underneath the employment level.

The rate for 20 years and older is

000-00EmpRate20Plus2010to2-2012.gif

And it is pretty clear, from the two, that the employment level is just keeping up with population growth.

The percentage change for population and for employment level look like this

000-00EmpLeveRateChg2010to2-2012.gif

Those jumps in the %ChgPop are recalibration of the CPS CNIP.

The trend lines for each are shown.

Overall, the rate of change for the CPOP is fairly flat at 0.100% per month over the 2010 through 2-2012 period. EmpLevel20+ is about 0.115% per month. So, over that entire period, Emplevel just a tad bit ahead of population growth.

So, jobs are being added to the economy. Employment is going up for the over 20 crowd. It is as good as I would like? No. Is it bad? No.

I didn't include March or April because I already downloaded the data in March and really don't feel like doing it all again. I'm still working on how to download from the ftp site.

The trend is pretty obvious and March/April aren't going to be particularly off of the obvious trend. The upward trend is just apparent, buried beneath the seasonal variation. And all in all, the point is that employment has been moving upward, not a lot, but upward.

Maybe, after I figure out the ftp site, and link Access into it, I'll run it again.

You meant 20 years and younger in the second chart, correct?

Chart-1.jpg

LINK

MORE LINKS:

Now there is a pretty useless statistic, the level of people not in the labor force.

Persons who are neither employed nor unemployed are not in the labor force. This category includes retired persons, students, those taking care of children or other family members, and others who are neither working nor seeking work.

You really don't know what your looking at.

WOW so what happen to all those people of workable age that dropped out of the work force? like you know the difference in farm and non farm jobs report.

Jobs are being gained. If anyone says that is not so, then stop reading that person: he is lying.

However, more job growth (much more job growth) is necessary, and that will happen with Romney.

Forum List

Back