AR 15 used in home defense against intruders

I do think he made a major mistake that the gun wasn't loaded,

He didn't have time to load it when the intruder entered the room.

Fortunately the intruder saw the gun and ran.

I caught a guy breaking into a side bedroom window one day. As he started to climb into the house I stepped around the corner of the door jamb and pointed a .357 at him. He looked at me for a split second, his eyes went wide and he bolted. I ran to the front door and as he was running away across the front yard I put a round into the ground a few feet behind him. I was sure surprised at how much faster that Mexican could run when he heard the report because he was already moving pretty darn fast. A few moments later the thought hit me that I may have committed a crime by firing the warning shot, I dunno. ~shrug~

I caught a guy breaking into a side bedroom window one day. As he started to climb into the house I stepped around the corner of the door jamb and pointed a .357 at him. He looked at me for a split second, his eyes went wide and he bolted. I ran to the front door and as he was running away across the front yard I put a round into the ground a few feet behind him. I was sure surprised at how much faster that Mexican could run when he heard the report because he was already moving pretty darn fast. A few moments later the thought hit me that I may have committed a crime by firing the warning shot, I dunno. ~shrug~

ya, when ya use deadly force you're taking the law into your own hands, unless they're killing someone let it go
those guys at kent state have been in and out of court a lot of their lives.

I may have committed a crime: Technically yes... The use of deadly force only applies when your life is threatened, that doesn't mean you can't sacrifice a butter knife and place it into the criminals dead hand before the cops show up... "Officer, I thought it was a gun, but he was coming at me so fast".:eusa_whistle:

Yeah....the only thing more stupid than a third rate burglar is a numbskull manning an unloaded weapon. To me the fact that it happened proved that individual had no business even being near an AR-15.

Yeah....the only thing more stupid than a third rate burglar is a numbskull manning an unloaded weapon. To me the fact that it happened proved that individual had no business even being near an AR-15.

Wait a minute... Now the guy is crucified because the gun wasn't loaded? Would you idiots please make up your minds????

Wait a minute... Now the guy is crucified because the gun wasn't loaded? Would you idiots please make up your minds????

I own three guns, a 12 gauge semi, auto Remington shotgun, a .38 S&W Chief's special and a .30 .30 Marlin rifle. I'll guarantee you that when I pull one of them on somebody

1) It Will Be Loaded
2) I Will Use It

You've just accurately described the reason there is no need for that kind of weapon in the hands of the public.

Last edited:

If he preferred keeping it unloaded for whatever reason -- maybe kids were around, or he'd just got back from the range, and had it unloaded for travel -- I don't fault him for that. But from the story he just didn't have time to slam a mag in and rack it, so he did what he could do, and it worked!

Last edited:

If he preferred keeping it unloaded (for whatever reason, maybe kids were around, or he'd just got back from the range, and had it unloaded for travel?). I don't fault him for that. But from the story he just didn't have time to slam a mag in and rack it, so he did what he could do, and it worked.

A stupid bastard who will pull an unloaded weapon on an intruder should use a bat. At least that way he won't kill himself.

Most people who are in someone else's house for no good will be armed and will shoot anybody who appears to be about to kill them DUH

Last edited:

If he preferred keeping it unloaded (for whatever reason, maybe kids were around, or he'd just got back from the range, and had it unloaded for travel?). I don't fault him for that. But from the story he just didn't have time to slam a mag in and rack it, so he did what he could do, and it worked.

A stupid bastard who will pull an unloaded weapon on an intruder should use a bat. At least that way he won't kill himself.

Most people who are in someone else's house for no good will be armed and will shoot anybody who appears to be about to kill them DUH

I disagree. Most street thieves don't have guns. If they did, they'd sell them for drugs.

If all I had was an empty AR-15 propped in the corner, I'd do the same thing he did. You're not gonna win a gun fight with a baseball bat, and very often just brandishing a weapon ends the encounter.

However this (below) is what I have in my nightstand, loaded with hollowpoints. .38 S&W Centennial in solid stainless steel, tested for +p+ ammo (first generation of this gun).

Just grab and shoot. A very natural pointer, and very easy to shoot at close range. No magazines, and no hammer or safety to mess with. I have a Glock 23 as well, but prefer this as an apartment defense weapon.

SW38Centennial640.jpg

Last edited:

It sounds to me like the guy didn't have enough reaction time. Like, the moment he was about to grab his magazine, he heard the door opening to his room, and snapped to attention. An AR-15 is not the kind of weapon people get if they don't already know a thing or two about guns and how to use them.

However this (below) is what I have in my nightstand, loaded with hollowpoints. .38 S&W Centennial in solid stainless steel, tested for +p+ ammo (first generation of this gun).

Just grab and shoot. A very natural pointer, and very easy to shoot at close range. No magazines, and no hammer or safety to mess with. I have a Glock 23 as well, but prefer this as an apartment defense weapon.

I have an aluminum framed version in my pocket as I type. I carry it practically everywhere

My AR-15 stays next to the bed at night.

Last edited:
That he had an AR15 that caused the intruder to run...good.
That it wasn't loaded....bad.
Once the criminal flees the house....you can't shoot him/her with any weapon (as they cease to be a threat).
Don't shoot a criminal outside the home, put a knife in their hands and drag them into the house. Forensic technology is sophisticated enough (blood spatter, etc.) to see through your actions.
Once the criminal has successfully fled the scene he/she will make note of the fact that your house has a weapon and may keep track of your comings and goings to see when it may be safe to enter it, to steal the very weapon you threatened him/her with. Get a strong quick entry type gun-safe to prevent the theft and have a good guard dog that's trained to not accept food/treats from anyone other than family.

I don't conceed that I am an idiot.

All my guns are loaded, with a round in the chamber, and stashed throughout my house.

This story give a great example of what not to do, even though it worked.

The student said that "being a good gun owner, everything was locked". The gun was unloaded.

However, he didn't have enough time to unlock it and load it, much less chamber a round.

Yes, the intruder ran just because he saw it. However, what if he didn't run?

According to the story the intruders had guns. The intruder may have shot the student, who was defenseless with an unloaded rifle. The intruders could have then also stolen the AR-15.

Although it has a happy ending, the student did the wrong thing.

The rifle should have been unlocked, loaded with a round in the chamber,and be ready to be used in very short notice. This story illustrates how short that notice can be.

In Michigan you would have committed a crime.

You can only discharge a firearm if a "reasonable person" would believe his life is in danger or someone else's life is in danger.

If he was running away you couldn't make that case.

In any case I'm glad the whole incident worked out well for you.

I disagree. Most street thieves don't have guns. If they did, they'd sell them for drugs.

If all I had was an empty AR-15 propped in the corner, I'd do the same thing he did. You're not gonna win a gun fight with a baseball bat, and very often just brandishing a weapon ends the encounter.

SW38Centennial640.jpg

Disagree all you like. Ordinary citizens who have never even had military training have absolutely no business owning or using a weapon which is capable of firing 2 or 3 rounds a second.

Hell....at that rate you can miss a deer 8 or 10 times before a cat can lick it's ass.

Last edited:

I have an aluminum framed version in my pocket as I type. I carry it practically everywhere

My AR-15 stays next to the bed at night.

I don't feel any great threat where I live (beach town in Orange County CA). Depending on where you live, you choose what you think it the best weapon, and use one you're very familiar with.

If I lived in an crime-ridden urban area, or out in a rural area, I'd have an AR-15, or just use my SKS, which is an excellent and very accurate rifle that I got for only about $130 many years ago. I keep it locked up here... it's overkill for an apartment in a low crime area.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back