Are all cultures equal? Do we treat them equally? Should we?

• Are all cultures equal? YES

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Are all cultures equal? NO

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Are all cultures equal? OTHER

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do we treat them equally? YES

• Do we treat them equally? NO

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Do we treat them equally? OTHER

• Should we? YES

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Should we? NO

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Should we? OTHER

• Total voters
Of course all cultures are not the same. Our cultures are a sum of our choices and not all choices are the same. Some are good. Some are bad. Some are better. Some are worse.

we can change our culture if we change our choices

Of course not. Cultures which reverence tradition over modernity will always lag behind the rest of us.

Even here in America there are certain regions where superstition has created a populace that is ignorant, degraded and poor.

And when does your 'modernity' turn into tradition? lol

after our descendents learn to live better still

What is 'better'? That term is completely subjective... you're assuming that things get 'better' just because time passes, how do you reconcile that? Humanity is no better now than it was 1,000 years ago. There's still hate, murder, rape, war, greed, jealousy, and on and on... We are no better now than the people that came before us, as a matter of fact, I'd say we may be worse because we rationalize evil by saying that it's 'better'.

Of course not. Cultures which reverence tradition over modernity will always lag behind the rest of us.

Even here in America there are certain regions where superstition has created a populace that is ignorant, degraded and poor.

What is 'better'? That term is completely subjective... you're assuming that things get 'better' just because time passes, how do you reconcile that? Humanity is no better now than it was 1,000 years ago. There's still hate, murder, rape, war, greed, jealousy, and on and on... We are no better now than the people that came before us, as a matter of fact, I'd say we may be worse because we rationalize evil by saying that it's 'better'.

Do you have any children? If so, how many survived infancy?

Western culture is by far the best.

It is the most scientifically and intellectually advanced. It has created the most wealth for its citizens. Its citizens are the freest.

Of course you know when your only response is an insult, you've declared that you concede and that you've been bested. lol

Not all cultures are equal. Yet in assigning the relative values of a culture the relative nature of that assessment needs to be kept in mind. Judging one culture by another's 'baseline' or perception of superiority doesn't work in other words.

In evaluating a culture, relationship with the rest of the world, and domestic crime should be major factors. Consequently, the USA will be far behind other cultures being the most active threat to other countries currently as well as incarcerating more than any other country.

Of course you know when your only response is an insult, you've declared that you concede and that you've been bested. lol

Not intended as an insult. Just pointing out that society has improved considerably since the Dark Ages--for instance the infant mortality rate.

Then I misunderstood the context of your post.

And I'm not saying that we haven't medically or technologically advanced, I'm saying that everything that was wrong with the human race 1000 years ago is still wrong with it today.. And as I said, 'living better' is totally subjective, we may live more comfortably, there may be less pain and suffering, but humanity itself has not improved or change, and I doubt that it ever will.

Human nature is still human nature.

that's why Christ is so powerful, He can change human nature

Forum List

Back