Are Christians intolerant?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Given recent discussion today, I have to understand something from you all. People (mainly liberals) say that Christians are "ignorant", "intolerant" and "hateful" towards others who do not share their faith, or to those who are gay. Should the fact that Christians are some of the more charitable people in America be overlooked? As compared to those who make these claims, as compared to other religions, are Christians intolerant?

I have also heard those trying to say that Christians are trying to establish a theocracy in our government, are they?

Be forewarned, all votes are public.

Last edited:
Given recent discussion today, I have to understand something from you all. People (mainly liberals) say that Christians are "ignorant", "intolerant" and "hateful" towards others who do not share their faith, or to those who are gay. Should the fact that Christians are some of the more charitable people in America be overlooked?

I have also heard those trying to say that Christians are trying to establish a theocracy in our government, are they?

Compared to what, Templar?

Compared to Islam?

Compared to Atheists?

Compared to Jews?

Compared to -- What?

In an ideal world, one that never has, and never will exist, you can make a case for everything and anything being imperfect, flawed, intolerant or downright evil.

But you can't just ask a question without a basis of understanding.

Compared to what else exists in this world, NO.

Christians and Christianity are not intolerant.

Given recent discussion today, I have to understand something from you all. People (mainly liberals) say that Christians are "ignorant", "intolerant" and "hateful" towards others who do not share their faith, or to those who are gay. Should the fact that Christians are some of the more charitable people in America be overlooked?

Compared to what, Templar?

Compared to Islam?

Compared to Atheists?

Compared to Jews?

Compared to -- What?

In an ideal world, one that never has, and never will exist, you can make a case for everything and anything being imperfect, flawed, intolerant or downright evil.

But you can't just ask a question without a basis of understanding.

Compared to what else exists in this world, NO.

Christians and Christianity are not intolerant.

Compared to the Liberals who claim such a thing. If Christians are intolerant, what does that make them?

Nothing compares to the intolerance of the left or the amount of control the left intends to exert over the individual. What you think, the opinions you have, what you eat and how much you weigh must all be controlled by the left.

I think most people are intolerant to people of other beliefs. It doesn't even have to have anything to do with religion. Also, how charitable a group is has nothing to do with it. I wouldn't call Christian's opposition to homosexuality hateful by any means. I have met a lot of Christians who treat homosexuals with the same amount of respect they would anybody else. I have met a lot of atheists who treat Christians with the same amount of respect they would anybody else. For the most part, people understand that not everybody is going to agree with them, or follow the same belief system as them. Due to the anonymity of the internet, some people tend to forget that.

As far as Christianity trying to establish a theocracy? Most people want to see a government that mirrors their beliefs. Some laws Christians push for may push the boundaries of separation of church and state, but I understand the reasoning behind it, even if I don't agree with them sometimes.

Well let's see, what are some "Christian" issues?

1. Abortion on demand is the law of the land, check.

2. Gays are now allowed to marry, check.

3. Prayer has been taken out of schools, check.

4. Even though the majority of Americans claim to identify themselves as Christian, they elected the politicians who did the above and continue to vote for them, check.

The way I see it, Christians could care less about morality in government. They just can't get enough it seems.

There is always a fringe element to any group. The left, especially, likes to use the most radical in any group to paint the entire group in the same light. A few abortion doctors have been killed, so they would have you believe that all Christians are that way, even though the majority of Christians are outspoken against murdering people with differing views. "Bitter clingers" are the number one target of the left, simply because they are against the liberal agenda.

They do plenty of protesting outside Planned Parenthood and such, but they merely are exercising their freedom of speech rights and incidents of violence from them are rare and not representative of the group as a whole. There are plenty of physical attacks on the protesters, which is just wrong.

We don't hear from Muslims who supposedly disagree with terrorism and, yes, that concerns me. Silence when it comes to extremism is frightening because not speaking up can easily be taken as agreement. If there are some rules in Sharia law that state they cannot speak out against fellow Muslims, then their choice to obey that when it comes to murdering thousands of Americans indicates they are loyal to the terrorists because they share the same religion. Their religion, government and laws are all the same thing. Obama and the libs constantly demand that we be understanding to Muslims, yet we don't hear Muslims reaching out. Sounds more like an order, as if the Koran demands respect - or else - and that message gets sent on, but they give us no reason to trust them and they refuse to denounce terrorism.

If true that the majority are against radical Islam, then why haven't we heard from them?

The left is always angry because Christians are against abortion, yet it hasn't stopped them from getting abortions. They blame the conservative right for not wanting to fund abortions and pretend that it's the same as stopping them. I get so sick of the claim that it's the sole responsibility of tax payers to fund people's choices and we are evil if we don't want to do that.

I fear the liberal mindset more than religions. They are making laws that directly control our lives. They have made so many laws that each of us have surely broken at least one without knowing it. There are laws that simply make no sense at all, such as making it a crime to catch rain water in a barrel or killing a rabid bat in your back yard. A farmer lost his farm for accidentally running over a rat with his tractor in the field. Not only didn't he realize he did it at first, but had no idea that the particular rat was on the endangered species list.

Last edited:
No.

I do my best to extend the same friendship and respect to almost everyone.

My exception is liars...I am totally intolerant of those who are continuously intentionally deceptive.

I voted yes for one reason. The majority of Christians that I have met were very intolerant to ME for not following THEIR chosen path. I have my own (path) and it leads to the same Being. I just choose to take a different route. For that, I have been ostracized and condemned that I am on the road to hell instead of the road to Christ.

So just from my own experience? Yes.

If a Christian is intolerant it has nothing to do with his faith, as his faith is incidental; that would be a failure by the individual himself.
I will go along with this to a point. Christ said we should be tolerant...as in 'turn the other cheek'...So the individual isn't practicing faithfully, no?

Forum List

Back