Are conservatives “special snowflakes” when it comes to discourse they don't like?

None of us very tolerant. Not anymore -- if we ever were.

I'm very liberal so, of course I can hardly stand the RW pov. I hate that they use religion as an excuse to deny equality, to purposely hurt the least among us - the elderly, children, handicapped, to work so hard to hate people they'll never know. I'll never understand how their total lack of humane humanity is "christianty". How did come to hate their own country and their own constitution?

And they are always do fucking OFFENDED. They whine constantly about how offended they are because most Americans believe in equality, freedom, justice.

They're so anti-US, they elected a dictator, the closest they could come to KGB Pooting. Indeed, RWs want Big Money to buy our elections. Crooked elections - that's the most basic reason why they voted for trump.

I believe it's our duty to fight against trump's lies, his vile family and his Attack Of The Swamp Things from ever becoming normal and what we expect and tolerate in our government. (Actually, that's what our founding fathers said too.)

So no, I'm not very tolerant.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Liberals only have tolerance for dissent when it is only they who are dissenting.

Who's more tolerant of dissenting views: liberals or conservatives?

You hear it all the time from conservatives: The left must remember to tolerate dissenting opinions. But if you’ve followed the news cycle recently, you may have noticed that it hasn’t been the left imposing social penalties on its members for expressing controversial opinions recently. It’s been the right.

Tomi Lahren formerly of The Blaze, who was once hailed as the second coming of Ann Coulter, is now fighting to retain control of her Facebook page after being unceremoniously dropped for daring to express a pro-choice opinion. Meanwhile Milo Yiannopoulos formerly of Breitbart — whom the right once claimed to venerate because of his willingness to flout the taboos of discourse — was toppled last month when it was discovered he had once seemingly condoned ephebophilia.

So what gives? Why are members of the left regularly denounced as “special snowflakes” when the right just took down two of its highest profile pundits for daring to stray from the ideological reservation?

“Both ends of the political spectrum can be vociferous defenders of speech with which they agree, but are sorely tested when speech offends them,” said Ken Paulson — president of the First Amendment Center and dean of Middle Tennessee State University’s College of Mass Communication, as well as former editor-in-chief of USA Today. “America became a great country in large part because everyone could share an opinion, and over time, the best ideas forged our nation. Today everyone is free to speak, but where’s the value if no one is willing to listen?”

“The First Amendment protects insightful ideas, but also stupid, insensitive, hateful and deeply offensive speech,”Paulson added in an email. “There’s no cherry-picking the right to speak.”

David Hudson, a law professor at Vanderbilt University, echoed Paulson’s views.

“I call it the dissonance between the ideal and the real,” Hudson told Salon in an email. “The ideal is that we support free speech; we tolerate and even encourage opposing viewpoints. The real is that we despise contrary viewpoints and take measures to silence them; we fail to adhere to the essence of the First Amendment — our blueprint for personal liberty.”

“Liberals and conservatives both suppress speech,” Hudson concluded. “Neither side has a monopoly on it. Censorship is as common an impulse as sex. What we need is a greater commitment all across the political spectrum to accept and listen to speech that we don’t like.”

---------------

Rest of article here: Free speech vs. safe spaces: Are conservatives “special snowflakes” when it comes to discourse they don’t like?

Based on what I've seen on this forum since signing up, conservatives BY FAR are the ones who are the most likely to suppress discourse that they don't like. There isn't a safe space cozy enough for the conservatives on this forum, that's for sure.

I was dating a conservative Trump supporter, until recently. During the election, I couldn't mention Hillary Clinton's name, it upset him so badly. I also can't mention I like the New England Patriots either. Total snowflake.

Sure you were. At most you would get a laugh, and there is no way you would be caught dead dating a trump supporter based on your posts. So that feeble attempt at lying can be put to bed real quick.

None of us very tolerant. Not anymore -- if we ever were.

I'm very liberal so, of course I can hardly stand the RW pov. I hate that they use religion as an excuse to deny equality, to purposely hurt the least among us - the elderly, children, handicapped, to work so hard to hate people they'll never know. I'll never understand how their total lack of humane humanity is "christianty". How did come to hate their own country and their own constitution?

And they are always do fucking OFFENDED. They whine constantly about how offended they are because most Americans believe in equality, freedom, justice.

They're so anti-US, they elected a dictator, the closest they could come to KGB Pooting. Indeed, RWs want Big Money to buy our elections. Crooked elections - that's the most basic reason why they voted for trump.

I believe it's our duty to fight against trump's lies, his vile family and his Attack Of The Swamp Things from ever becoming normal and what we expect and tolerate in our government. (Actually, that's what our founding fathers said too.)

So no, I'm not very tolerant.

I agree. The desire to murder people who disagree with the global warming meme is but one example of the progressive intolerance for views counter to your own. And when you don't get your way you childishly either take your ball and go home or try to kill that which displeases you.

USMB Rightwingers only like their own freedom of speech. I mean these are people who whine about the very existence of gay people. They never matured past junior high is the problem.

When is the last time rightwing college students rioted and thus successfully stopped a lefty from speaking?
You're one of the biggest whiners about gay people huh?

I don't care what those college kids did, but sure they were being jackasses. They don't represent liberalism.

No question that conservatives are snowflakes, all you have to do is listen to conservative talk radio for 15 minutes and you will here whining like you've never heard before. They whine about EVERYTHING. To them all the world is miserable and its all someone else's fault. They have this constant insatiable need to have their beliefs validated by someone else. And they worship ignorance.

Everyone likes having their views validated.

You don't see the way your world view is constantly validated by msm and pop culture, as it strikes you as "of course that is what people would say or do, what else would they do".

What is msm and I abhor pop culture.

Jesus you take assumption to its infinite conclusion based on nothing.

Who's more tolerant of dissenting views: liberals or conservatives?

You hear it all the time from conservatives: The left must remember to tolerate dissenting opinions. But if you’ve followed the news cycle recently, you may have noticed that it hasn’t been the left imposing social penalties on its members for expressing controversial opinions recently. It’s been the right.

Tomi Lahren formerly of The Blaze, who was once hailed as the second coming of Ann Coulter, is now fighting to retain control of her Facebook page after being unceremoniously dropped for daring to express a pro-choice opinion. Meanwhile Milo Yiannopoulos formerly of Breitbart — whom the right once claimed to venerate because of his willingness to flout the taboos of discourse — was toppled last month when it was discovered he had once seemingly condoned ephebophilia.

So what gives? Why are members of the left regularly denounced as “special snowflakes” when the right just took down two of its highest profile pundits for daring to stray from the ideological reservation?

“Both ends of the political spectrum can be vociferous defenders of speech with which they agree, but are sorely tested when speech offends them,” said Ken Paulson — president of the First Amendment Center and dean of Middle Tennessee State University’s College of Mass Communication, as well as former editor-in-chief of USA Today. “America became a great country in large part because everyone could share an opinion, and over time, the best ideas forged our nation. Today everyone is free to speak, but where’s the value if no one is willing to listen?”

“The First Amendment protects insightful ideas, but also stupid, insensitive, hateful and deeply offensive speech,”Paulson added in an email. “There’s no cherry-picking the right to speak.”

David Hudson, a law professor at Vanderbilt University, echoed Paulson’s views.

“I call it the dissonance between the ideal and the real,” Hudson told Salon in an email. “The ideal is that we support free speech; we tolerate and even encourage opposing viewpoints. The real is that we despise contrary viewpoints and take measures to silence them; we fail to adhere to the essence of the First Amendment — our blueprint for personal liberty.”

“Liberals and conservatives both suppress speech,” Hudson concluded. “Neither side has a monopoly on it. Censorship is as common an impulse as sex. What we need is a greater commitment all across the political spectrum to accept and listen to speech that we don’t like.”

---------------

Rest of article here: Free speech vs. safe spaces: Are conservatives “special snowflakes” when it comes to discourse they don’t like?

Based on what I've seen on this forum since signing up, conservatives BY FAR are the ones who are the most likely to suppress discourse that they don't like. There isn't a safe space cozy enough for the conservatives on this forum, that's for sure.

Beck is a dick for doing that to Tomi I said it on the thread we had on it which you didn't participate or even know about what happened until you got talking points from the democrat underground

USMB Rightwingers only like their own freedom of speech. I mean these are people who whine about the very existence of gay people. They never matured past junior high is the problem.

When is the last time rightwing college students rioted and thus successfully stopped a lefty from speaking?

I don't care what those college kids did, but sure they were being jackasses. They don't represent liberalism.

Why do you imagine that they do not represent liberalism?

No question that conservatives are snowflakes, all you have to do is listen to conservative talk radio for 15 minutes and you will here whining like you've never heard before. They whine about EVERYTHING. To them all the world is miserable and its all someone else's fault. They have this constant insatiable need to have their beliefs validated by someone else. And they worship ignorance.

Everyone likes having their views validated.

You don't see the way your world view is constantly validated by msm and pop culture, as it strikes you as "of course that is what people would say or do, what else would they do".

What is msm and I abhor pop culture.

Jesus you take assumption to its infinite conclusion based on nothing.

Mainstream media and what culture do you like?

LMFAO coming from the guy who disappears from here for like 3 months after trump won.

Last edited:

Because they are young and naive. Once they become adults in the real world, they'll see their hypocrisy.

Because they are young and naive. Once they become adults in the real world, they'll see their hypocrisy.

Remind us again little Billy who the hell was born conservative?

It's a trait you learn from your little idiot classmates by blowing all their allowance on candy, or jumping off of bridges...

Conservatives have nothing comparable to the liberal demand for safe spaces furnished with coloring books and puppies.

Tipsycatlover

Wrong.

Warm and fuzzy to RWNJs is lying about and/or American journalism or just attacking the US in any way and usually with no reason. It's taking rights away from other Americans for no other reason than being OFFENDED. Watching children suffer from hunger is always a big hit, as is fantasizing about torture of helpless people.

RWNJs lie more now that they see trump long every day. Some RWNJs lie about their credentials in order to cover up their deep seated insecurities and enormous failures. Like saying they have two doctorates, one in medicine, the other in law, when in fact, their real job is quite menial and requires nothing more than a warm body. A sober, warm body. To quote trump, "sad".

RWNJs are jealous of everyone. Their hatred of, and constant attacks on people of color, the elderly, the poor, women, gay, children, vets, LGBQ is directly attributed to their own lack of accomplishment.

It's amazing but they probably do believe workers from Mexico really are taking their jobs!

And some are right wing.

Fewer and fewer right wing young people are interested in what their RW leaders tell them "snobby and elitist" though

Forum List

Back