Are gag orders constitutional?

Then the government cannot prohibit you from yelling "Fire" in a crowded theatre or punish you for doing so? :cuckoo:
What legal doctrine empowers government to override the 1st?
I’ve asked this over and over throughout this thread and nobody can articulate such a thing….all I’ve got is….“well they do it so they must be able to do it legally.”

Overriding public safety or public order? Each such order should stipulate the statute being invoked, yes?
Of couse they should….but do they?
Is there such a statute….one which grants government the right to shit all over our 1A right at will?
I know they do it, I just don’t believe they do it legally.

Of couse they should….but do they?
I don't know... I've never seen the details of a gag-order, nor been privy to the courtroom verbal chatter revolving around one.
Is there such a statute….one which grants government the right to shit all over our 1A right at will?
Doubtful... but I would venture a guess that there exists statute allowing such censorship under specific conditions.
I know they do it, I just don’t believe they do it legally.
Sounds like a fun research project for you.

Judge reimposes restrictions on Trump’s speech in Jan. 6 case

A federal judge has reimposed limits on former president Donald Trump’s public statements in advance of his trial on charges of conspiring to subvert the results of the 2020 election.

U.S. District Judge Tanya S. Chutkan on Sunday evening put back in place an order she had lifted nine days earlier to give Trump and U.S. prosecutors more time to argue whether the restrictions were unconstitutional, as attorneys for the former president had claimed. Trump can now ask a higher court for an emergency stay pending appeal, but in the meantime he is bound by Chutkan’s limits. If Trump violates the gag, as he did a similar order by a state judge in New York, Chutkan will have to decide how to punish the former president and leading presidential candidate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/10/29/trump-gag-order-resumes-jan-6-judge/

More preferential treatment. Anyone else would already be in jail.

All of you people talking about "fire" in a theater need to understand what that actually is. It is called "imminent lawless action" that was CREATED by the SC in the sixties. They just created that out of thin air. And if you were to do that, and get arrested for various state and local laws like domestic disturbance etc, the prosecution would have to prove intent, imminence and likelihood.
Just like they CREATED that it was ok to jail American citizens for their eye slant.
The constitution is what gives the government its power. It is explicit in that regard.
If people think so its so fucking important to have their rights trampled by a corrupt mass murdering group of lying assholes starving for power, pass an amendment.

So, here we are 30 pages and almost 600 responses and in the end a gag order is no different than pre-trail confinement for those deemed to big a danger to society to be let free awaiting trail.

Either support both, or attack both.

All of you people talking about "fire" in a theater need to understand what that actually is. It is called "imminent lawless action" that was CREATED by the SC in the sixties. They just created that out of thin air. And if you were to do that, and get arrested for various state and local laws like domestic disturbance etc, the prosecution would have to prove intent, imminence and likelihood.
Just like they CREATED that it was ok to jail American citizens for their eye slant.
The constitution is what gives the government its power. It is explicit in that regard.
If people think so its so fucking important to have their rights trampled by a corrupt mass murdering group of lying assholes starving for power, pass an amendment.

Such anger so early in the morning, you are going to give yourself a stroke!

790188.gif

So, here we are 30 pages and almost 600 responses and in the end a gag order is no different than pre-trail confinement for those deemed to big a danger to society to be let free awaiting trail.

Either support both, or attack both.
We all know what you support, boot licker.

Some view gag orders as violations of a person’s First Amendment rights, while others consider it helpful in ensuring a fair trial. The Supreme Court previously ruled that a gag order is constitutional if it can protect the right to a fair trial, is as least restrictive as possible, and will be effective, Yale Law School explains.

It's not that we don't all understand the desire by Trump sycophants to enable Dear Leader to intimidate jurors, grand jurors, clerks of the court, DA's, Special Counsel's, and judges. The last thing the sycophants (and Don) want is a fair trial.

Some view gag orders as violations of a person’s First Amendment rights, while others consider it helpful in ensuring a fair trial. The Supreme Court previously ruled that a gag order is constitutional if it can protect the right to a fair trial, is as least restrictive as possible, and will be effective, Yale Law School explains.

It's not that we don't all understand the desire by Trump sycophants to enable Dear Leader to intimidate jurors, grand jurors, clerks of the court, DA's, Special Counsel's, and judges. The last thing the sycophants (and Don) want is a fair trial.
No one cares about your fat orange obsession.

Can you cease bowing to the Orange Shit Gibbon for ONE post?
I strictly asked for the TDSers to leave him at the door in the OP.
I didnt want this to turn into another trump thread.
But you people are obsessed with him. Its disturbing.

No one cares about your fat orange obsession.
If I were to guess what a Trump cultist would say after fomenting the false narrative that gag orders are unconstitutional..........your fatuous reply would be it.

Forum List

Back