Are people programmable?

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Someone just a few minutes ago told me "black people aren't easily programmable robots." That got me thinking... are people easily programmable? Are they incapable of going against their political programming?

See our current state of politics and the stark political division between Americans? There are many people who will repeat what they are told in the face of facts and reasoning. Take the die hard liberals and conservatives on this board for example. They will repeat their talking points til' they're blue in the face, it doesn't matter if you confront them with proven facts, they continue on as if they never heard you.

Then, there are some who have the presence of mind to step back and question what they are told. Who determine that it is wiser to examine all the positions and facts before they commit themselves to an ideology or ideologies. Even then, they are wary if they get in too deep, hence free thought. But, alas, those people are few and far between.

So are people programmable? Yes and no. Yes, because there are people out there who give themselves blindly over to a cause, disregarding any consequences that come as a result. No, because there are people who consider the consequences beforehand. I consider myself to be the latter, since at one point I was a die hard neo-con. But then I started listening to other points of view and I decided to go a different direction. That leads me to think that process can happen to anyone, to varying degrees. And some are beyond help.

Last edited:
I know this thread won't get much attention in the wake of the Dallas cop killings, but I feel that also speaks to the point. Was the shooter programmed? I think this would be a great discussion.

(bump)

Someone just a few minutes ago told me "black people aren't easily programmable robots." That got me thinking... are people easily programmable? Are they incapable of going against their political programming?

See our current state of politics and the stark political division between Americans? There are many people who will repeat what they are told in the face of facts and reasoning. Take the die hard liberals and conservatives on this board for example. They will repeat their talking points til' they're blue in the face, it doesn't matter if you confront them with proven facts, they continue on as if they never heard you.

Then, there are some who have the presence of mind to step back and question what they are told. Who determine that it is wiser to examine all the positions and facts before they commit themselves to an ideology or ideologies. Even then, they are wary if they get in too deep, hence free thought. But, alas, those people are few and far between.

So are people programmable? Yes and no. Yes, because there are people out there who give themselves blindly to a cause, disregarding any consequences that come as a result. No, because there are people who consider the consequences beforehand. I consider myself to be the latter, since at one point I was a die hard neo-con. But then I started listening to other points of view and I decided to go a different direction. That leads me to think that process can happen to anyone, to varying degrees. And some are beyond help.

No, people are definitely not programmable, the Democrat party proves that. Democrats all came up with not only the same position on every issue but the same talking points to justify them through extensive independent analysis of each issue subjecting each to ruthless logical analysis leading to the only possible conclusion remaining when all other positions had been rejected.

I mean duh

So are people programmable? Yes and no. Yes, because there are people out there who give themselves blindly over to a cause, disregarding any consequences that come as a result. No, because there are people who consider the consequences beforehand. I consider myself to be the latter, since at one point I was a die hard neo-con. But then I started listening to other points of view and I decided to go a different direction. That leads me to think that process can happen to anyone, to varying degrees. And some are beyond help.
Most people have been brainwashed by their parents, teachers, and ministers/priest since they were born.

They do the same as their parents in most cases or else they completely rebel and take on different role models from their peers.

Black kids on the other hand are completely driven by peer pressure since their fathers tend to be absentee and their mothers then not to be good role models at all.

So black peer pressure is towards committing petty crimes and then running away.

Running away from a cop can get you shot however, so this behavior is not conducive to survival on a Darwinian planet.

Language (linguistics) is how we represent the world to ourselves and others. Democraps and George Orwell know this; why don't you?

So are people programmable? Yes and no. Yes, because there are people out there who give themselves blindly to a cause, disregarding any consequences that come as a result. No, because there are people who consider the consequences beforehand. I consider myself to be the latter, since at one point I was a die hard neo-con. But then I started listening to other points of view and I decided to go a different direction. That leads me to think that process can happen to anyone, to varying degrees. And some are beyond help.

No, people are definitely not programmable, the Democrat party proves that. Democrats all came up with not only the same position on every issue but the same talking points to justify them through extensive independent analysis of each issue subjecting each to ruthless logical analysis leading to the only possible conclusion remaining when all other positions had been rejected.

I mean duh
It is hard to explain how the far right fringe and/or the far left fringe got that way.

My only guess is extreme brainwashing combined with genetically low I/Q's.

I know this thread won't get much attention in the wake of the Dallas cop killings, but I feel that also speaks to the point. Was the shooter programmed? I think this would be a great discussion.

(bump)
Fanatics are all brainwashed by somebody combined with a psychopath personality resulting usually from child abuse, deprivation, and in many cases genetically bad seeds.

Democrats all came up with not only the same position on every issue but the same talking points to justify them through extensive independent analysis of each issue subjecting each to ruthless logical analysis leading to the only possible conclusion remaining when all other positions had been rejected.

I would argue future Democrats are programmed to believe as their progenitors did. Impression, indoctrination, or in this sense, programming. That static position has to be passed on to future generations to instill that seemingly unchanging position.

That got me thinking... are people easily programmable? Are they incapable of going against their political programming?
Oh, I have no doubt whatsoever. And that's a great question.

I've done some research into the subconscious, and it can indeed be "programmed" to react in certain ways to particular stimuli, and that "programming" becomes more and more embedded with time - this is because the person hardens it through self-talk, emotional responses and the echo chamber effect.

So using politics as an example, the subconscious becomes so "programmed" that it literally distorts perceptions - so, the political rhetoric of ideologues might very well be absolutely honest and sincere for them, even though, at some level, they know it is not.

That's why they get so angry and defensive, in my opinion. On a surface level, they're being "honest". But at some deeper level, they know they are not.

So, what smells like bacon to you might smell like oranges to them, at least on a surface level.

.[/QUOTE]

I mean duh[/QUOTE]

Case in point.

Are we not the sum of our upbringing? We are all living prof that "programming" works on people.

We eat,speak and walk.

Do we not?

Forum List

Back