Are today's Southern Conservatives any different than Southern Conservatives from the Civil War?

that's a good point

when will the OP, PMS and the rest of the progbotch crew show us all the GOP sponsored racist laws

During the 1860s, Republicans, who dominated northern states, orchestrated an ambitious expansion of federal power, helping to fund the transcontinental railroad, the state university system and the settlement of the West by homesteaders, and instating a national currency and protective tariff. Democrats, who dominated the South, opposed these measures. After the Civil War, Republicans passed laws that granted protections for African Americans and advanced social justice; again, Democrats largely opposed these expansions of power.

Sound like an alternate universe? Fast forward to 1936. Democratic president Franklin Roosevelt won reelection that year on the strength of the New Deal, a set of Depression-remedying reforms including regulation of financial institutions, founding of welfare and pension programs, infrastructure development and more. Roosevelt won in a landslide against Republican Alf Landon, who opposed these exercises of federal power.

So, sometime between the 1860s and 1936, the (Democratic) party of small government became the party of big government, and the (Republican) party of big government became rhetorically committed to curbing federal power. How did this switch happen?

Why Did the Democratic and Republican Parties Switch Platforms Democrats Republicans

The Democrat Party was the Segregation and KKK Party, then when FDR came they because the Eugenics and Tuskegee and Grand Kleagle Senate Majority Leader Party

Meet the new Boss, same as the Old Boss.

You corporate shill republicans are trying to compare yourselves to a long dead component of the old republican party which was actually progressive. Nice try fooling yourselves.

Still willing to throw themselves into the fray on behalf of the rich for empty promises of prosperity.
why you kind can never understand this is beyond me:
Money is not our number one priority
Freedom,jobs And low taxes are

Republican Record on Shipping American Jobs Overseas:

http://thegavel.democraticleader.house.gov/?p=5433

Liberalism - We're all in this boat together, we should help each other.

Conservatism - Every man for himself!

I never meant to say that the conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it.

John Stuart Mill, in a letter to the Conservative MP, John Pakington

All from the South. Lincoln was a Repub, tell us of your profound respect for him and his actions to save the Union, including going to war against the South?
Hmmmm, no. Robert Byrd was from West Virginia, a union state. The KKK was quite popular in places like Ohio and Pennsylvania.
The only problem is the North freed the slaves and the South fought a war against this nation trying to stop such a thing. The history doesn't change just because you lie.

The south merely defended itself from Northern aggression. Lincoln didn't invade Virginia to free the slaves. He did it to impose the Morrill tariff.

History doesn't change because you lie.

Right, the confederate traitors didn't attack Ft Sumpter, the FEDERAL post, lol

Ft Sumter was their territory, so they had every right to kick out those Yankee carpet bagger scum.

Weird, like today, you don't support the UNION? lol

The only problem is the North freed the slaves and the South fought a war against this nation trying to stop such a thing. The history doesn't change just because you lie.

The south merely defended itself from Northern aggression. Lincoln didn't invade Virginia to free the slaves. He did it to impose the Morrill tariff.

Ft Sumter was their territory, so they had every right to kick out those Yankee carpet bagger scum.

And how many modern day Democrats do you know who still support the right of secession?
Why do you have such a short attention span? Some democrats wanted Cook county aka Chicago to leave illinois, the baldy brothers threaten to leave if bush jr got elected again

PLEASE give me ONE name ANYONE recognizes that said ANYTHING about leaving the union after Dubya nudged his brother to 'win' in 2000 ? Some said THEY'D leave the country. Different animal though nut jobber

Have today's southern conservatives changed from since the days they were slaveholders?

You meant Democrats, the Party of KKK, Jim Crow, Segregation, Tuskegee, Grand Kleagle Senate Majority Leader.
All from the South. Lincoln was a Repub, tell us of your profound respect for him and his actions to save the Union, including going to war against the South?

And how many modern day Democrats do you know who still support the right of secession?

Well Obama did call Republicans "the enemy"

Yes, he did, and his entire administration has been characterized by open hostility to the opposition party. He only wants to "work with" them if they represent a true force capable of thwarting his plans.

Conservative Author Defends Confederacy, Wants South to Secede and Name New Country ‘Reagan’

Former Reagan administration aide and conservative columnist Douglas MacKinnon recently came out with a new book titled The Secessionist States of America: The Blueprint for Creation a Traditional Values Country…Now.

...Take this recent poll that showed less than half of the people living in Mississippi would support the United States against the Confederacy if a second Civil War was fought. Then there’s the League of the South which has put up billboards promoting secession.

Conservative Author Defends Confederacy Wants South to Secede and Name New Country Reagan
Few things would make me happier than getting these un-American fuckers the hell out of my country.

"...Take this recent poll that showed less than half of the people living in Mississippi would support the United States against the Confederacy if a second Civil War was fought. Then there’s the League of the South which has put up billboards promoting secession."

FUNNY RIGHT? All you have are ad homs? lol

Conservative Author Defends Confederacy, Wants South to Secede and Name New Country ‘Reagan’

Former Reagan administration aide and conservative columnist Douglas MacKinnon recently came out with a new book titled The Secessionist States of America: The Blueprint for Creation a Traditional Values Country…Now.

...Take this recent poll that showed less than half of the people living in Mississippi would support the United States against the Confederacy if a second Civil War was fought. Then there’s the League of the South which has put up billboards promoting secession.

Conservative Author Defends Confederacy Wants South to Secede and Name New Country Reagan

LOL at your source of ingnormation

that's a good point

when will the OP, PMS and the rest of the progbotch crew show us all the GOP sponsored racist laws

Not honest huh? It was the conservatives who did that, you know since the GOP/Dem party has switched several times the last 100+ years? Remember LIBERAL ABE LINCOLN AND TEDDY 'TRUST BUSTER' ROOSEVELT? lol

Why do you have such a short attention span? Some democrats wanted Cook county aka Chicago to leave illinois, the baldy brothers threaten to leave if bush jr got elected again

PLEASE give me ONE name ANYONE recognizes that said ANYTHING about leaving the union after Dubya nudged his brother to 'win' in 2000 ? Some said THEY'D leave the country. Different animal though nut jobber
It goes both ways you fucking asshat, give me one name of a republican in power who stated he wanted his state to leave? It is just idiot rednecks sitting at home drinking a beer signing an online petition

What are you smoking crack? Reagan worked with tipper, Billy worked with Newt, Obama thinks he is king with a phone and a pen, he never wanted to and never will work with the republicans

"Billy worked with Newt,"

Excluding shutting down Gov't TWICE and that $40+ million BJ thing, lol

What are you smoking crack? Reagan worked with tipper, Billy worked with Newt, Obama thinks he is king with a phone and a pen, he never wanted to and never will work with the republicans

Seriously dumb fuck? The goverment got shut down like 25 times when Ronnie was in power, even by his own fucking party before Tipper god damn you are dumb

can you show us the GOP sponsored racist laws?

Overt racism is generally avoided nowadays.

Conservatives fought on the side of racism for decades, but they lost most of those battles to the progress of human civilization.

That sounds like a pretty good answer to the OP. No, conservatives of today are not the same as the dead conservatives of 175 years ago. If "conservatives" killed uppity blacks back then and champion them today (Clarence Thomas reference for those of you who were incarcerated in government schools), they can't be the same. By the same token, if "liberals" (and gasp, they were almost entirely driven by Christianity), championed blacks 175 years ago and do high tech lynching of uppity blacks today, they also can't be the same.

First of all I wasn't aware that Supreme Court nominees going before Senate hearings was a crime.

Explain that to us.

Looking at or talking to a white woman wasn't a crime either, but that didn't save the lives of the black men killed for doing so. That's the whole point.

I doubt any black was lynched simply for talking to a white woman.

Libturd morons like you have a hysterical understanding of what the South was like during segregation.

"I doubt any black was lynched simply for talking to a white woman"

Emmett Louis Till (July 25, 1941 – August 28, 1955) was an African-American teenager who was murdered in Mississippi at the age of 14 after reportedly flirting with a white woman.
Emmett Till - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

black-people-lynched.jpg

10 Outrageous Reasons Black People Were Lynched in America

10 Outrageous Reasons Black People Were Lynched in America - Atlanta Blackstar

Some black people were lynched for throwing stones. Skipping a rock across a lake could lead to death

Billy gained my respect now, what I learned even when the house was impeaching his ass, he was still on the phone with newt, talking about not the stupid impeachment, but how to make our country better

Obama is a fucking wana be king

that's a good point

Not honest huh? It was the conservatives who did that, you know since the GOP/Dem party has switched several times the last 100+ years? Remember LIBERAL ABE LINCOLN AND TEDDY 'TRUST BUSTER' ROOSEVELT? lol

that wasn't even a good dodge, rather pathetic actually

Got it, you actually LOVE the liberal Abe and Teddy programs that why you support the Dems right? lol

Mississippi is not like Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina moron, have You ever been in the South, jack ass?

that's a good point

During the 1860s, Republicans, who dominated northern states, orchestrated an ambitious expansion of federal power, helping to fund the transcontinental railroad, the state university system and the settlement of the West by homesteaders, and instating a national currency and protective tariff. Democrats, who dominated the South, opposed these measures. After the Civil War, Republicans passed laws that granted protections for African Americans and advanced social justice; again, Democrats largely opposed these expansions of power.

Sound like an alternate universe? Fast forward to 1936. Democratic president Franklin Roosevelt won reelection that year on the strength of the New Deal, a set of Depression-remedying reforms including regulation of financial institutions, founding of welfare and pension programs, infrastructure development and more. Roosevelt won in a landslide against Republican Alf Landon, who opposed these exercises of federal power.

So, sometime between the 1860s and 1936, the (Democratic) party of small government became the party of big government, and the (Republican) party of big government became rhetorically committed to curbing federal power. How did this switch happen?

Why Did the Democratic and Republican Parties Switch Platforms Democrats Republicans

didn't see anything about those racist GOP laws

just admit you cannot prove the GOPs racism

Sure, I admit it wasn't the GOP of their day, who are quite different from today's GOP, who are conservatives, you know the confederates? lol

Honesty. Try it

Overt racism is generally avoided nowadays.

Conservatives fought on the side of racism for decades, but they lost most of those battles to the progress of human civilization.

That sounds like a pretty good answer to the OP. No, conservatives of today are not the same as the dead conservatives of 175 years ago. If "conservatives" killed uppity blacks back then and champion them today (Clarence Thomas reference for those of you who were incarcerated in government schools), they can't be the same. By the same token, if "liberals" (and gasp, they were almost entirely driven by Christianity), championed blacks 175 years ago and do high tech lynching of uppity blacks today, they also can't be the same.

First of all I wasn't aware that Supreme Court nominees going before Senate hearings was a crime.

Explain that to us.

Looking at or talking to a white woman wasn't a crime either, but that didn't save the lives of the black men killed for doing so. That's the whole point.

I doubt any black was lynched simply for talking to a white woman.

Libturd morons like you have a hysterical understanding of what the South was like during segregation.

"I doubt any black was lynched simply for talking to a white woman"

Emmett Louis Till (July 25, 1941 – August 28, 1955) was an African-American teenager who was murdered in Mississippi at the age of 14 after reportedly flirting with a white woman.
Emmett Till - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

black-people-lynched.jpg

10 Outrageous Reasons Black People Were Lynched in America

10 Outrageous Reasons Black People Were Lynched in America - Atlanta Blackstar

Some black people were lynched for throwing stones. Skipping a rock across a lake could lead to death

You mean if they did it in front of Robert Byrd, right?

Mississippi is dirt poor, mostly all blacks on welfare and disability, I hate driving through that shit hole of a state, it looks like a third world country, like Detroit

Hell when I hit the state line of Mississippi I lock my doors, just like up in Chicago or Detroit

Have today's southern conservatives changed from since the days they were slaveholders?

You meant Democrats, the Party of KKK, Jim Crow, Segregation, Tuskegee, Grand Kleagle Senate Majority Leader.

Well Obama did call Republicans "the enemy"

Yes, he did, and his entire administration has been characterized by open hostility to the opposition party. He only wants to "work with" them if they represent a true force capable of thwarting his plans.

Few things would make me happier than getting these un-American fuckers the hell out of my country.

"...Take this recent poll that showed less than half of the people living in Mississippi would support the United States against the Confederacy if a second Civil War was fought. Then there’s the League of the South which has put up billboards promoting secession."

FUNNY RIGHT? All you have are ad homs? lol

LOL at your source of ingnormation

that's a good point

It goes both ways you fucking asshat, give me one name of a republican in power who stated he wanted his state to leave? It is just idiot rednecks sitting at home drinking a beer signing an online petition

So NO, despite YOUR attempts to CLAIM both sides, you can't give me "ONE name ANYONE recognizes that said ANYTHING about leaving the union after Dubya nudged his brother to 'win' in 2000 ?"

Texas Guv Rick Perry: I think there’s a lot of different scenarios. Texas is a unique place. When we came in the union in 1845, one of the issues was that we would be able to leave if we decided to do that.

You know, my hope is that America and Washington in particular pays attention. We’ve got a great union. There is absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what may come out of that? But Texas is a very unique place and we’re a pretty independent lot to boot.

Texas Guv Rick Perry:“When we came into the nation in 1845, we were a republic, we were a stand-alone nation,” the governor can be heard saying. “And one of the deals was, we can leave anytime we want. So we’re kind of thinking about that again.”

And of course HE'S LYING. Texas had an opportunity to split into 4-5 states, NOT secede!

2012:

TEXAS

80,000 of them signed an online White House petition asking to leave the union

Seriously dumb fuck? The goverment got shut down like 25 times when Ronnie was in power, even by his own fucking party before Tipper god damn you are dumb

Yes, weird how Obama is a 'dictator' then right? lol

How farrrr right the GOP has gone, weird

Billy gained my respect now, what I learned even when the house was impeaching his ass, he was still on the phone with newt, talking about not the stupid impeachment, but how to make our country better

Obama is a fucking wana be king

Sure, that's what was happening, lol
'

lol

Let’s just say it: The Republicans are the problem.

We have been studying Washington politics and Congress for more than 40 years, and never have we seen them this dysfunctional. In our past writings, we have criticized both parties when we believed it was warranted. Today, however, we have no choice but to acknowledge that the core of the problem lies with the Republican Party.

The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

When one party moves this far from the mainstream, it makes it nearly impossible for the political system to deal constructively with the country’s challenges.

“Both sides do it” or “There is plenty of blame to go around” are the traditional refuges for an American news media intent on proving its lack of bias, while political scientists prefer generality and neutrality when discussing partisan polarization. Many self-styled bipartisan groups, in their search for common ground, propose solutions that move both sides to the center, a strategy that is simply untenable when one side is so far out of reach.

It is clear that the center of gravity in the Republican Party has shifted sharply to the right. Its once-legendary moderate and center-right legislators in the House and the Senate — think Bob Michel, Mickey Edwards, John Danforth, Chuck Hagel — are virtually extinct.

...Ironically, after becoming speaker, Gingrich wanted to enhance Congress’s reputation and was content to compromise with President Bill Clinton when it served his interests. But the forces Gingrich unleashed destroyed whatever comity existed across party lines, activated an extreme and virulently anti-Washington base — most recently represented by tea party activists — and helped drive moderate Republicans out of Congress.

Let s just say it The Republicans are the problem. - The Washington Post

Forum List

Back