Are you a conservative?

The fact is that there are very few actual conservatives; indeed, conservativism has been misappropriated by authoritarian reactionary ideologues frightened of change and diversity and hostile toward inclusion and expressions of individual liberty.

Most conservatives seek only to compel conformity and punish dissent.

One of the last actual conservatives in public service was Justice Anthony Kennedy; Kennedy was a conservative but not an ideologue.

And Kennedy was consistent in the application of his conservative principles – fundamental of which was limiting government authority when the state sought to increase its power at the expensive of individual liberty.

During his time on the bench Kennedy was falsely labeled a ‘swing vote,’ when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

The incorrect perception of Kennedy as a ‘swing vote’ was the consequence of that consistent application of conservative principles when deciding cases that came before the Court – that Kennedy aggravated both the left and right in equal measure is proof of that.

Whether it was decisions in cases that angered liberals (Citizens United, DC v. Heller) or cases that angered conservatives (Planned Parenthood v. Casey, Lawrence v. Texas), Kennedy would labor to side with protecting the rights and protected liberties of the people from government excess and overreach – when government overstepped its authority to limit access to firearms, government overstepped its authority by denying women their right to privacy, and when government overstepped its authority by disadvantaging gay Americans through force of law.

Tragically, the Supreme Court is now infected with a majority made up of authoritarian reactionary ideologues hostile to the rights and protected liberties of the people – typical of most conservatives – who will rule in a manner that will allow government to increase its power and authority at the expense of individual liberty.

• I abhor war and believe diplomacy can be an effective deterrent to war. Thus I oppose Brinkmanship, belligerence and bellicose rhetoric;
War is sometimes the only option when diplomacy fails.
Cite actual examples of this occurring.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • I abhor war and believe diplomacy can be an effective deterrent to war. Thus I oppose Brinkmanship, belligerence and bellicose rhetoric;
Vote actual examples of this occurring.

Are you suggesting diplomacy always works and war is never necessary?

The fact is that there are very few actual conservatives; indeed, conservativism has been misappropriated by authoritarian reactionary ideologues frightened of change and diversity and hostile toward inclusion and expressions of individual liberty.

Most conservatives seek only to compel conformity and punish dissent.

One of the last actual conservatives in public service was Justice Anthony Kennedy; Kennedy was a conservative but not an ideologue.

And Kennedy was consistent in the application of his conservative principles – fundamental of which was limiting government authority when the state sought to increase its power at the expensive of individual liberty.

During his time on the bench Kennedy was falsely labeled a ‘swing vote,’ when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

The incorrect perception of Kennedy as a ‘swing vote’ was the consequence of that consistent application of conservative principles when deciding cases that came before the Court – that Kennedy aggravated both the left and right in equal measure is proof of that.

Whether it was decisions in cases that angered liberals (Citizens United, DC v. Heller) or cases that angered conservatives (Planned Parenthood v. Casey, Lawrence v. Texas), Kennedy would labor to side with protecting the rights and protected liberties of the people from government excess and overreach – when government overstepped its authority to limit access to firearms, government overstepped its authority by denying women their right to privacy, and when government overstepped its authority by disadvantaging gay Americans through force of law.

Tragically, the Supreme Court is now infected with a majority made up of authoritarian reactionary ideologues hostile to the rights and protected liberties of the people – typical of most conservatives – who will rule in a manner that will allow government to increase its power and authority at the expense of individual liberty.
Powerful!

What I asked, was for you to cite actual examples of what you defined, occurring.

What I asked, was for you to cite actual examples of what you defined, occurring.

Can’t answer the question?

Take all the time you need, MarcATL.

upload_2019-2-7_19-23-53.gif

I’ll start with this one.......
  • I have empathy for the working poor, the drug an alcohol dependent, the mentally ill, physically ill and the aged, children and animals;
The working poor should get an education or learn a skill.
There are a lot of resources available for those with drug/alcohol dependency and mental illness.
I’m big on protecting the elderly, young, and animals. I’m also good with helping those with physical disabilities.

You've not walked in all of the shoes of the working poor. In fact, there are tens of thousands, maybe millions, of the working poor you've painted with a very broad brush.

I’ll start with this one.......
  • I have empathy for the working poor, the drug an alcohol dependent, the mentally ill, physically ill and the aged, children and animals;
The working poor should get an education or learn a skill.
There are a lot of resources available for those with drug/alcohol dependency and mental illness.
I’m big on protecting the elderly, young, and animals. I’m also good with helping those with physical disabilities.

You've not walked in all of the shoes of the working poor. In fact, there are tens of thousands, maybe millions, of the working poor you've painted with a very broad brush.
And you have?

Sometimes diplomacy is never attempted, TR said, "speak softly and carry a big stick". That seems to me to be left behind in recent times.

In my mind I've categorized conservative into several sub-types. Help me, and others who are not conservatives which sub-type of conservative best defines you in terms of voting, domestic and foreign policies, and the wedge issues (guns, god, gays, taxes and abortion).

To be fair, I'll post why I'm a liberal Democrat:

• I support the United Nations, NATO and joint missions into space with other nations, allies or otherwise;
  • I support the Olympics, World Soccer and other competition wherein American's interact with others no matter their ethnicity, creed, sex or sexual orientation;
  • I believe every American citizen should enjoy the same rights and opportunities as every other person;
  • I support a Congress which supports Universal Suffrage for all citizens in every general election. [Those without a proper picture ID ought to be informed that their member of H. or Rep. will provide them at no cost a proper ID with evidence they were born in the US or are naturalized citizens];
  • I support free public education, free preventative care for all citizens (age appropriate physical examinations, age appropriate inoculations and age appropriate curriculum in public schools on health and dental care, procreation and (age appropriate) means to prevent pregnancy and STD's.
  • I support a US AG to remove Marijuana from schedule I, and add Tobacco to that schedule.
So, which type of conservative are you:

1. Callous Conservative
  2. Fiscal Conservative
  3. Social Conservative
  4. Goldwater Conservative
  5. Neoconservative
  6. Single Issue voter:
  • Guns
  • Gays
  • Taxes
  • Abortion
  • White Supremacist

White supremacists have no home either among Conservatives nor Republicans, and have not for generations.

THat you don't know that, is a sign of your inability to empathize with others.

I am a paleoconservative, primarily because of my desire for non interventionalism.

Sometimes diplomacy is never attempted, TR said, "speak softly and carry a big stick". That seems to me to be left behind in recent times.

I agree. Especially with Russia.

Then you should appreciate what Trump is doing with NK. Something democrats didn't want to do.

In my mind I've categorized conservative into several sub-types. Help me, and others who are not conservatives which sub-type of conservative best defines you in terms of voting, domestic and foreign policies, and the wedge issues (guns, god, gays, taxes and abortion).

To be fair, I'll post why I'm a liberal Democrat:

• I support the United Nations, NATO and joint missions into space with other nations, allies or otherwise;
  • I support the Olympics, World Soccer and other competition wherein American's interact with others no matter their ethnicity, creed, sex or sexual orientation;
  • I believe every American citizen should enjoy the same rights and opportunities as every other person;
  • I support a Congress which supports Universal Suffrage for all citizens in every general election. [Those without a proper picture ID ought to be informed that their member of H. or Rep. will provide them at no cost a proper ID with evidence they were born in the US or are naturalized citizens];
  • I support free public education, free preventative care for all citizens (age appropriate physical examinations, age appropriate inoculations and age appropriate curriculum in public schools on health and dental care, procreation and (age appropriate) means to prevent pregnancy and STD's.
  • I support a US AG to remove Marijuana from schedule I, and add Tobacco to that schedule.
So, which type of conservative are you:

1. Callous Conservative
  2. Fiscal Conservative
  3. Social Conservative
  4. Goldwater Conservative
  5. Neoconservative
  6. Single Issue voter:
  • Guns
  • Gays
  • Taxes
  • Abortion
  • White Supremacist

The only conservatives I am aware of are the following;

View attachment 244686 View attachment 244687 View attachment 244688 View attachment 244685
That is because you are seeing what you want to see.

[QUOTE="harmonica, post: 21774307, member: 66070" ]"EVERYBODY should abhor war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..this doesn't make you con or lib
????[/QUOTE]

This is not true ("EVERYBODY should abhor war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.") In boot camp we were given "dream sheets" to request our first orders. Filling out the form was a kid from Arkansas whose request was Vietnam, Vietnam and Vietnam; mine was Treasure Island in SF Bay, 32nd St. in San Diego and Bremerton, WA. I was lucky, I served on a tin can doing ASW (anti sub warfare) of the West Coast of CA.

Forum List

Back