Are you a social conservative who supports civilized values?

I am a quasi-libertarian.

Which means I'm an economic conservative but not a social conservative.

Me too. I think the govt should step in but the country is so democratic now and so socially liberal that it is doubtful it could do any good without a big shift in people's consciousness

That's not libertarian. If you're wanting to use government to press your values onto others, you're a progressive

no true a libertarian is not an anarchist. Any society must have some shared values which are promoted and maintained in part with govt.

No that's a strawman argument. Libertarians are not anarchist, Libertarians believe in government, and that government can be good at some things under strict supervision, military, defense, law and order, public utilities. They also believe the bigger the government the smaller the citizen. And they believe that government is bad at a lot of things as governments have proved over and over again, and should have minimal, strictly supervised role, because government is made up of people with self serving interest (like all people) and the only good way to stop these people from taking advantage is to limit their ability to do so. Government wrongly limited the ability of blacks to marry whites.

You my friend are a progressive, you want to use government as a tool to fix whatever it is you see wrong with the world. You, like many on the left, believe your values are superior, and thus should be thrust on the rest of society around. You selectively cherry pick the parts of the constitution that serve you.

You my friend are a progressive, you want to use government as a tool to fix whatever it is you see wrong with the world. .

if you have evidence of that I will pay you $10,000? Bet?

Do you have 10 grand?

And I'm supposed to believe you're going to be objective to that?

I play you're game. Do you believe in freedom of religion, and that congress shall make no law impeding the free exercise of religion?

You my friend are a progressive, you want to use government as a tool to fix whatever it is you see wrong with the world. .

Do you have 10 grand?

And again this is based on if you are a republican progressive. Remember progressivism was started by the Republican Party with teddy R.

I think we encourage TOO much marriage .

How many young kids get married because the guys going into the military? What's the divorce rate for people married in their early 20s?
Because not getting married= pregnancies= broken families?

I think we encourage TOO much marriage .

How many young kids get married because the guys going into the military? What's the divorce rate for people married in their early 20s?
Because not getting married= pregnancies= broken families?

1/2 end in divorce so they end up broken anyway .

No one should have a kid till at least 25!

Traditional marriage consisted of polygamy, child marriage, arranged marriage.
depends what tradition you are talking about. 1+1=2

Polygamy probably has a longer tradition than monogamy. In fact I'm certain it has.

It's in the Bible!

And I don't believe government should have a say when more that 2 consenting adults want to marry each other. What's your point?

Traditional marriage consisted of polygamy, child marriage, arranged marriage.
depends what tradition you are talking about. 1+1=2

Polygamy probably has a longer tradition than monogamy. In fact I'm certain it has.
Would you say it has a more widespread tradition than monogamy? In other words, if you made a distribution of all marriages that have ever existed which one would be the dominant form?

Me too. I think the govt should step in but the country is so democratic now and so socially liberal that it is doubtful it could do any good without a big shift in people's consciousness

That's not libertarian. If you're wanting to use government to press your values onto others, you're a progressive

no true a libertarian is not an anarchist. Any society must have some shared values which are promoted and maintained in part with govt.

No that's a strawman argument. Libertarians are not anarchist, Libertarians believe in government, and that government can be good at some things under strict supervision, military, defense, law and order, public utilities. They also believe the bigger the government the smaller the citizen. And they believe that government is bad at a lot of things as governments have proved over and over again, and should have minimal, strictly supervised role, because government is made up of people with self serving interest (like all people) and the only good way to stop these people from taking advantage is to limit their ability to do so. Government wrongly limited the ability of blacks to marry whites.

You my friend are a progressive, you want to use government as a tool to fix whatever it is you see wrong with the world. You, like many on the left, believe your values are superior, and thus should be thrust on the rest of society around. You selectively cherry pick the parts of the constitution that serve you.
By definition libertarians are amoral. Amorality leads to anarchy.

No that's another strawman. I've never stated, that I am immoral, and that I believe everyone else should be immoral. This is the story your telling yourself. I'm saying you cannot tell the government to be the arbiter of morals, and then claim religious freedom. This is why so many left Europe, to get away from a government telling them what to believe religiously. You have every right to have whatever morals you want, as long as you don't impede on others freely practicing their own morals. This is what our constitution is based on. It's a religious philosophy called natural law that says god gave us the ability to think freely, therefore government nor any man has zero right to impede on this god given ability.

No that's another strawman. I've never stated, that I am immoral, and that I believe everyone else should be immoral. This is the story your telling yourself. I'm saying you cannot tell the government to be the arbiter of morals, and then claim religious freedom. This is why so many left Europe, to get away from a government telling them what to believe religiously. You have every right to have whatever morals you want, as long as you don't impede on others freely practicing their own morals. This is what our constitution is based on. It's a religious philosophy called natural law that says god gave us the ability to think freely, therefore government nor any man has zero right to impede on this god given ability.
Amoral does not mean immoral.

Amoral does not mean immoral.

It means lack of morals, libertarians have morals, and those morals are governments like to screw people over a lot. They should have a minimal ability to do so. My response was never to immorality, but your false claim of amorality.

Do you have 10 grand?

And I'm supposed to believe you're going to be objective to that?

I play you're game. Do you believe in freedom of religion, and that congress shall make no law impeding the free exercise of religion?
Yes, and???????????????????

Forum List

Back