Ark of the Covenant

Actually both positions are on very shaky ground
I think the idea of OT scripture often being a form of metaphor is on solid ground. Sodom and Gomorrah, Noah, etc. The goal seems to be to instill fear of God, and to serve him even to the point of committing immoral acts. We don't have to guess what happens when the OT followers follow that immoral path as literal, infallible Word of God and when they don't. We can look at modern Muslims and modern Jews to see the difference.
The Hebrew word, Yir-eh, is awe, not fear.
As one would be in awe of a great athlete.
S'dom was so evil it had to be eradicated.
Many other cities were evil, but not enough to be eradicated.

You honestly believe that this was god's judgment, and this was justification for destroying a city. So god then magically destroyed a city.

If you want to believe that, go for it. But i would have to look at you as not qualified to have input in such decisions in the modern world. Maybe god tells you another city is evil and should be destroyed? What if i live there? What if your justification is promiscuity? (Slavery appears to be fine, by gods standards)

You honestly believe that this was god's judgment, and this was justification for destroying a city. So god then magically destroyed a city.

If you want to believe that, go for it. But i would have to look at you as not qualified to have input in such decisions in the modern world. Maybe god tells you another city is evil and should be destroyed? What if i live there? What if your justification is promiscuity? (Slavery appears to be fine, by gods standards)
It's not what I believe, it's what God says to Avraham and God doing it.
In fact, God wanted Avraham to put up a good defense even though a good enough defense did not exist.
It's obvious you never pick up a Bible and actually read the story in it's full context.

"Everybody was perfect"

Okay. Seems absurd, but believe what you like.

Just don't expect anyone to agree on such an apparently nonsensical idea.

"Everybody was perfect"

Okay. Seems absurd, but believe what you like.

Just don't expect anyone to agree on such an apparently nonsensical idea.
Who's kidding who?
You never picked up the Koran or the NT and read them.
You're just a bitter old man.

Who's kidding who?
Irrelevant whining.

The idea seems absurd, to any rational person. Even you. That's why you have to employ strong faith to believe it. Else you would not need faith to believe it. Good for you. Have your faith.

Who's kidding who?
Irrelevant whining.

The idea seems absurd, to any rational person. Even you. That's why you have to employ strong faith to believe it. Else you would not need faith to believe it. Good for you. Have your faith.
My friend, you can't debate when you know nothing.
You think the ability business to analyze a commercial contract is not a sign of literacy.
You've once again made a fool of yourself.
You think everyone who lived before electricity flowed through wires was an idiot.

And they did it on cuneiform tablets, weighing hundreds of pounds each, when they wanted to send official messages over distance. But somehow the Moses flock that couldn't find their way out of a relatively postage stamp-sized piece of the desert for 40 years managed to transport hundreds of them hundreds of miles.

Good grief, how can rational adults believe this nonsense
So you would argue that the ten commandments and the torah existed in this esoteric script of mixed language used only by the high ranking officials? And that Moses' s flock was literate in it, much less Moses himself? Seems a bit of a stretch.

And these little tablets don't have many words. And more words were needed in this old language than the later languages. You would be talking thousands of these little fellas, minimum. In the desert. After 40 years. For the first copy. And then translated correctly into a later language, yet no evidence of it existing before that. So much work to do to even start to climb up that mountain, evidence-wise.
I would not argue any position, as you are a troll. I merely providecd evidence that tablets did not in fact weigh hundreds of pounds.

I have no position on religious dogma as I have no religion.

Last edited:
You think the ability business to analyze a commercial contract is not a sign of literacy.
Reading it would be a sign of literacy. To argue that, you would have to argue they were literate. You have not even done that, much less present even a shred of evidence that they were.

Reading it would be a sign of literacy. To argue that, you would have to argue they were literate. You have not even done that, much less present even a shred of evidence that they were.
We all know everyone born before you were born was illiterate!

I would not ague any position, as you are a troll. I merely providecd evidence that tablets did not in fact weigh hundreds of pounds.
Yes, for the purpose of trying to support the myths on the table. So, I granted the far fetched idea that the tablets you presented is how it happened, and how many question you create (as opposed to answers created).

And you tapped out. See ya.

Actually both positions are on very shaky ground
I think the idea of OT scripture often being a form of metaphor is on solid ground. Sodom and Gomorrah, Noah, etc. The goal seems to be to instill fear of God, ...
The old testament is easier to explain through metaphor than to explain it by the historical record, or even by testing it's scientific accuracy.

The story of Noah leaves the question of foliage unanswered.

Trees And Flooding
Some species can survive standing in several feet of water for months, but if their foliage is completely covered they can die in as quickly as one month. In fact, very few species can tolerate more than one month of complete submersion

The olive branch would have been dead and soggy

*while simultaneously demanding absolute proof they were not literate

Impossible, childish behavior.

Forum List

Back