Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Becki ---

I'm a dude.. You know that. But I'm quilt crazy.. As art objects, there IS NO PARALLEL..

Big fan of the National Quilt Museum in Paducah, KY.. Go OUT OF YOUR WAY to see it.
It's worth it..

main-pic1.jpg

About 90 minutes from my home... I take MANY visitors there every year and never tire of going.

Quilt museum Kentucky, Paducah Kentucky Tourism, Quilting Kentucky

Any USMB members that want to visit flacaltenn while you're "in the neighborhood" --- ring me up --- I'll meet ya there...

Thanks, Flacaltenn! I've been there and thoroughly recommend it too! Sunshine visited there several months ago. The year I went, I had a business meeting in Knoxville, and we took a day off and drove to Paducah where I got to see all the wonderful quilts on exhibit at the time. It may have been 2007, give or take a year. We lived in Wyoming at the time, so it was before 2009 and after 2006, the year we went across Canada and got to see everything fun between Toronto and Vancouver including Lake Louise and the glaciers. Seems like Paducah had some really beautiful places along the river, too. However, the quilt museum was our object of going there, and I spent hours taking it all in! It was the first time I had seen Caryl Bryer Fallert's work up close and personal, so I had a blast. Needless to mention, they had brought in a showing of traditional quilt miniatures that were fabulous, and too many other wonderful works to keep tabs on. Sunshine brought this thread pictures of the show she saw there, seems there were Egyptian rugmakers who specialized in making quilts that were eye candy and most exotic. Really sorry to hear their country was torn by war recently. :( But that's the way the mop flops, isn't it!

Thanks for sharing the new look. That picture is top drawer!

Last edited:
Becki ---

I'm a dude.. You know that. But I'm quilt crazy.. As art objects, there IS NO PARALLEL..

Big fan of the National Quilt Museum in Paducah, KY.. Go OUT OF YOUR WAY to see it.
It's worth it..

main-pic1.jpg

About 90 minutes from my home... I take MANY visitors there every year and never tire of going.

Any USMB members that want to visit flacaltenn while you're "in the neighborhood" --- ring me up --- I'll meet ya there...

Thanks, Flacaltenn! I've been there and thoroughly recommend it too! Sunshine visited there several months ago. The year I went, I had a business meeting in Knoxville, and we took a day off and drove to Paducah where I got to see all the wonderful quilts on exhibit at the time. It may have been 2007, give or take a year. We lived in Wyoming at the time, so it was before 2009 and after 2006, the year we went across Canada and got to see everything fun between Toronto and Vancouver including Lake Louise and the glaciers. Seems like Paducah had some really beautiful places along the river, too. However, the quilt museum was our object of going there, and I spent hours taking it all in! It was the first time I had seen Caryl Bryer Fallert's work up close and personal, so I had a blast. Needless to mention, they had brought in a showing of traditional quilt miniatures that were fabulous, and too many other wonderful works to keep tabs on. Sunshine brought this thread pictures of the show she saw there, seems there were Egyptian rugmakers who specialized in making quilts that were eye candy and most exotic. Really sorry to hear their country was torn by war recently. :( But that's the way the mop flops, isn't it!

So how much did ya blow in gift shop? There have been visits where my guests spend 45 min.just in the gift shop. Good for gifts.. Love the historical quilts there,

I gave at the office, flacaltenn. I own a quilt store in Wyoming, and when actively running it for 23 years, gave them all the sales business I could by offering their publications in my shop, many of which I bought and have in my personal library and many of which went to the EGA Library that was housed at the Presbyterian Church for all members to read. ;) It probably wasn't enough, though. Their museum is just the best in the world.

This morning has been dedicated to cross stitching the yellow ribbon on the next square. At the pace I'm going, it will take 6 or 7 days just to do the ribbon. Nothing at all fast about my needle in needle out approach to cross stitch embroidery. Frozen molasses in January is faster than me. :lol:

Becki ---

It's worth it..

main-pic1.jpg

So how much did ya blow in gift shop? There have been visits where my guests spend 45 min.just in the gift shop. Good for gifts.. Love the historical quilts there,
OK, I did a little searching, and Sunshine's pictures, which she so generously shared on this thread start on this page and go on for a couple of pages while we discussed the Egyptian TENT makers (not rug makers like I wrongfully said earlier and apologize for) ~ http://www.usmessageboard.com/arts-...omemade-quilts-have-a-way-79.html#post7153880

Maybe you got to see it (or not). Thanks to Sunshine, I got to see it quite vicariously but for me, it was a trip, because of the details and fine appearance of the work shown. The quilts are still drop-dead gorgeous to me! :)

Small sample of Sunshine's thoroughly delightful picture story:

QuiltShow010_zpsdf55c996.jpg

Last edited:

OK, I did a little searching, and Sunshine's pictures, which she so generously shared on this thread start on this page and go on for a couple of pages while we discussed the Egyptian TENT makers (not rug makers like I wrongfully said earlier and apologize for) ~ http://www.usmessageboard.com/arts-...omemade-quilts-have-a-way-79.html#post7153880

Maybe you got to see it (or not). Thanks to Sunshine, I got to see it quite vicariously but for me, it was a trip, because of the details and fine appearance of the work shown. The quilts are still drop-dead gorgeous to me! :)

I am originally from just outside Paducah. That quilt convention has really done a lot for that little river town.

I am originally from just outside Paducah. That quilt convention has really done a lot for that little river town.
I am just so thankful you went to the show that day and shared it with us, after being a little tired after a long week of work, Sunshine. It was truly a visual treat and a real springboard for the little dab of work I do in my ministry of quilts to people I may not ever meet due to me being a hermit due to my propensity to take ill when I go to meetings where people gather. *sigh* From time to time I think of that and go back to see the quilts you shared. It's always an upper, and for this Michael Jordan fan, it was such a perfect shot it hit "nothin' but net!" :)

I am just so thankful you went to the show that day and shared it with us, after being a little tired after a long week of work, Sunshine. It was truly a visual treat and a real springboard for the little dab of work I do in my ministry of quilts to people I may not ever meet due to me being a hermit due to my propensity to take ill when I go to meetings where people gather. *sigh* From time to time I think of that and go back to see the quilts you shared. It's always an upper, and for this Michael Jordan fan, it was such a perfect shot it hit "nothin' but net!" :)

Thanks. It was well worth the trip. And I got to eat a funnel cake. It's not every day you get to stuff your veins with fat!

Thanks. It was well worth the trip. And I got to eat a funnel cake. It's not every day you get to stuff your veins with fat!

Jellus! More like 'never' for me, since I am so very adverse to crowds.

Jellus! More like 'never' for me, since I am so very adverse to crowds.
The day we went, we had the whole place to ourselves. :)

Here is the progress on the yellow ribbon quilt block and a comparison to the pink ribbon one, which also seemed to have been sewn without instructions. I tried to visualize what the leaves would look like by the designer, and am not certain I guessed correctly (on the yellow ribbon one.) Also, I added a very unlikely square center in the dark pink floral center that appears on the other quilt as an all-lilac flower with no center at all. Again, not sure what the original instructions would have done, plus, I unwittingly emphasized its "squareness" with a gold square straight stitch around the yellow center cross stitches.

It was a challenge. It's nice to just have the pretty pink ribbon square done, right or wrong, because at least it isolates the flowers, and I can just guess the shapes and leaf areas better than I could have with nothing, which I am betting the other embroiderer had. On the light blue iris-like flower, the areas that look suspiciously like leaves probably are. It's just getting the shapes right that is the challenge, and since irises I've grown in the past had spiked leaves like a yucca plant, the leaves surrounding the blue iris are slightly weird as they appear to look like leaves one would find embellishing a rosebush. :dunno:

Oh, well, right or wrong, it will be fun trying to guess another fiber artist's intentions. :)

Attachments

• $Tie a Yellow Ribbon1 comparison.jpg
    $Tie a Yellow Ribbon1 comparison.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 24
I have started filling in my swans in a lovely lilac color.

Sadly, the light and my eyes are pretty bad, lol. I took what I have done so far to a different locale and there, could see all the gaps in my stitching that I absolutely didn't see when I was sewing.

But that's okay, it's pretty. Hopefully will get pics up this weekend. The case is getting kinda dingy but that's okay, it will wash.

I'm going to put a lacy crocheted border on it too...I have it picked out.

Before 9/11, we called ourselves the "Quilter's terrorist society." For some reason, it stopped being funny after the WTC destruction by the world's most horrible men. :cool:

Every once in a while, I indulge in a trek through a branch of the quilt world, and this time, I loaded "Tree Quilts" into the search engine. I was hooked. Some of my finds from around the net (I did not make any of these quilts, just saved them into my "tree quilts" file created for the search. It was mesmerizing.

You'll see:

Attachments

• $Elaine Quehl Vagabond Song s.jpg
    $Elaine Quehl Vagabond Song s.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 18
  • $A partridge in a peartree1.jpg
    $A partridge in a peartree1.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 24
  • $Vanessa Brisson treequilt.jpg
    $Vanessa Brisson treequilt.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 18
Vicarious trip through the web's forest of quilt trees ~