Ask a Catholic

You should refrain from speaking for others. I too believe it is wrong for me to contribute to any abortion in any way, shape, or form, but I don't think the Church should excommunicate politicians because of it. That's between the politicians and God.
When Catholic politicians are marshaling Catholics to agree to and pay for abortions, do you really feel the Church should stand aside and say nothing? Do you feel the same when someone vandalizes a church or a synagogue? That the Church should stand aside, say nothing, and let that vandalism remain between the vandal and God?

Do you favor a position of, "Let the Catholic politicians speak and do and let the Church say and do nothing"?

PS I am not speaking for others.
When you wrote I apparently believe the Church should not back your stance, but rather the stance for you to help fund abortions that was you speaking for me. I corrected it by saying, I too believe it is wrong for me to contribute to any abortion in any way, shape, or form, but I don't think the Church should excommunicate politicians because of it. That's between the politicians and God. Which is still my position.

I don't believe any politician is speaking for the Church. I suspect if there were politicians speaking for the Church, the Church would speak up about that. So your vandalism analogy misses the mark. But if someone were vandalizing the Church or speaking for the Church, I would be against it.

Maybe I missed it but why do you think the Church isn't doing anything about this?

Why does it seem like right wingers merely doth protest too much instead of coming up with more universal solutions at lower cost?
What does cost have to do with anything? And what universal solutions are you thinking about?

If Republicans took the exact same stance that the Democrats have taken - and are lauded for taking - Republicans would be derided for wanting to kill poor people.

You're hatred and ignorance towards democrats is breathtaking.
Where's your evidence they want to kill people? You are a liar.

Why does it seem like right wingers merely doth protest too much instead of coming up with more universal solutions at lower cost?
What does cost have to do with anything? And what universal solutions are you thinking about?

If Republicans took the exact same stance that the Democrats have taken - and are lauded for taking - Republicans would be derided for wanting to kill poor people.

I don't hate anyone. I have three sisters who are Democrats. How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Where did I say that Democrats wanted to kill poor people. I said IF REPUBLICANS took the exact same position as Democrats then REPUBLICANS would be accused of wanting to kill poor people.

I too believe it is wrong for me to contribute to any abortion in any way, shape, or form, but I don't think the Church should excommunicate politicians because of it.
Then I did understand you correctly--that the Church should do nothing about people who wish to make abortions easier and to have taxpayers fund these easy abortions. Doing nothing is the same as backing these plans for easy, taxpayer funded abortions.

How is turning a blind eye to Catholic politicians wishing to promote easy abortions and work towards taxpayer funded abortions different from turning a blind eye to any other sin, including vandalism?

I don't believe any politician is speaking for the Church.
That isn't even the point. The point is that you do not feel the Church should even speak out against politicians who are in favor of making abortion easier at any time during a pregnancy and in addition are working to have all taxpayers fund such abortions.

Maybe I missed it but why do you think the Church isn't doing anything about this?
Have President Biden and Speaker Pelosi been formally excommunicated? Both are pushing more abortions and taxpayer funded abortions. Perhaps you are of the mind that the Church must wait until the two actually succeed in these plans?

Have President Biden and Speaker Pelosi been formally excommunicated? Both are pushing more abortions and taxpayer funded abortions. Perhaps you are of the mind that the Church must wait until the two actually succeed in these plans?
I didn't ask what my mind was. I asked you why the Church hasn't done anything yet.

I don't believe any politician is speaking for the Church.
That isn't even the point. The point is that you do not feel the Church should even speak out against politicians who are in favor of making abortion easier at any time during a pregnancy and in addition are working to have all taxpayers fund such abortions.
That actually was a point you made.

I too believe it is wrong for me to contribute to any abortion in any way, shape, or form, but I don't think the Church should excommunicate politicians because of it.
Then I did understand you correctly--that the Church should do nothing about people who wish to make abortions easier and to have taxpayers fund these easy abortions. Doing nothing is the same as backing these plans for easy, taxpayer funded abortions.

How is turning a blind eye to Catholic politicians wishing to promote easy abortions and work towards taxpayer funded abortions different from turning a blind eye to any other sin, including vandalism?
You are equivocating. I'm done here.

You are equivocating.
Not. There is a difference between equivocating and asking for a defense of the alternate position that the Church should stand by and do nothing.

You are equivocating.
Not. There is a difference between equivocating and asking for a defense of the alternate position that the Church should stand by and do nothing.
Saying that doing nothing is the same as backing these plans for easy, taxpayer funded abortions is equivocating.

I don't think you have thought this through to its logical conclusion. You are literally accusing the Church of backing abortion. Which means you are a member of an organization - by your own words - that is backing abortion. You have painted yourself into a corner.

I don't hate anyone. I have three sisters who are Democrats. How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Where did I say that Democrats wanted to kill poor people. I said IF REPUBLICANS took the exact same position as Democrats then REPUBLICANS would be accused of wanting to kill poor people.
Republicans simply want to be able to "hate on the Poor" under our form of Capitalism.

Republicans simply want to be able to "hate on the Poor" under our form of Capitalism.
Cool story, bro.

Saying that doing nothing is the same as backing these plans for easy, taxpayer funded abortions is equivocating.

I don't think you have thought this through to its logical conclusion. You are literally accusing the Church of backing abortion. Which means you are a member of an organization - by your own words - that is backing abortion. You have painted yourself into a corner.
Let's not be silly. President Biden and Speaker Pelosi are pushing for unlimited abortion, funded by taxpayers. People are either for this or against it or simply don't care one way or the other. The Church claims it is against abortion. If the Church is against abortion, what should Church position be on politicians pushing for unlimited, taxpayer funded abortions?

there's a whole generation with a new explanation ... san francisco -
too bad there ever was written the 4th century christian bible.

The stridency of your position is one reason why so many are leaving the church.

You act like abortion is the only issue that matters.

The stridency of your position is one reason why so many are leaving the church.

You act like abortion is the only issue that matters.
Then you miss the point. I am speaking of the Church hierarchy. How often have you heard that the Catholic Church did not do enough to condemn the owning of slaves? That the Church did not do enough to condemn the Nazis? Is that being strident or is it merely pointing out that the very people who should have stepped forward instead stepped back? How do you feel about the positions the Church took on slaves and Nazis? Do you believe the Church should do the same with abortion?

I don't know how much you have read on the exchange in which Ding and I are engaging. We both agree that abortion, like any other sin, can be forgiven. We both agree that politicians can take the position that a person's own free will can come into play regarding aborting her own fetus.

Where we disagree is whether or not the Church should take a stand when Catholic politicians begin pushing unlimited abortions (up to the ninth month) along with pushing taxpayer funded abortions.

What do you think? In due time will history not only frown on the Church's lack of action on slavery, on Nazism...but also on abortion?

So, no, I don't act like abortion is the only issue that matters--but right now I am focused on what the Church (not the individual) is doing on this particular issue.

Let's not be silly. President Biden and Speaker Pelosi are pushing for unlimited abortion, funded by taxpayers. People are either for this or against it or simply don't care one way or the other. The Church claims it is against abortion. If the Church is against abortion, what should Church position be on politicians pushing for unlimited, taxpayer funded abortions?
I would say silly would be the position you have put yourself in. Whatever will you do?

Forum List

Back