Ask a Progressive, How do the plutocrats run our lives

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
We keep hearing that the 1% run the country and all our lives. Can you please provide examples

Also how can you hate prosperity and expect to be prosperous?

Last edited:
We keep hearing that the 1% run the country and all our lives. Can you please provide examples

When Lobbyists Literally Write The Bill

It's taken for granted that lobbyists influence legislation. But perhaps less obvious is that they often write the actual bills — even word for word.

In an example a week and a half ago, the House passed a measure that would roll back a portion of the 2010 financial reforms known as Dodd-Frank. And reports from The New York Times and Mother Jones revealed that language in the final legislation was nearly identical to language suggested by lobbyists.

The House bill passed on Oct. 30 essentially sought to wipe out a financial overhaul known as the "push-out rule." The rule prevents banks from using your deposits to trade in derivatives — risky securities that many believe contributed to the 2008 financial crisis.

Marcus Stanley of Americans for Financial Reform says the regulation was a way to protect taxpayer money.

"The purpose of this part of Dodd-Frank was to basically say that Wall Street derivatives activities should be funded by private money and shouldn't get a public subsidy, and this bill kind of reversed that," Stanley says.

What the bill would do is exempt broad categories of trades from this rule.

It's been a long-accepted truth in Washington that lobbyists write the actual laws...

"To me," says Lee Drutman of the Sunlight Foundation, a government watchdog group, "this is just another tick-tock on a story that's been developing for a long time — that Congress has basically outsourced its policy expertise to the private sector."

As outrageous as this story seems, Drutman says, it's now unfortunately business as usual on Capitol Hill.

"People on the Hill don't stay as long," he says. "You don't get as good people on the Hill. The expertise on policymaking more and more has moved to the private sector, and it's moved to represent those organizations and companies who can afford to pay for it, which generally isn't you and me. It's big banks and Big Oil and big companies."

Last edited:

It's taken for granted that lobbyists influence legislation. But perhaps less obvious is that they often write the actual bills — even word for word.

In an example a week and a half ago, the House passed a measure that would roll back a portion of the 2010 financial reforms known as Dodd-Frank. And reports from The New York Times and Mother Jones revealed that language in the final legislation was nearly identical to language suggested by lobbyists.

It's been a long-accepted truth in Washington that lobbyists write the actual laws...

"To me," says Lee Drutman of the Sunlight Foundation, a government watchdog group, "this is just another tick-tock on a story that's been developing for a long time — that Congress has basically outsourced its policy expertise to the private sector."

As outrageous as this story seems, Drutman says, it's now unfortunately business as usual on Capitol Hill.

"People on the Hill don't stay as long," he says. "You don't get as good people on the Hill. The expertise on policymaking more and more has moved to the private sector, and it's moved to represent those organizations and companies who can afford to pay for it, which generally isn't you and me. It's big banks and Big Oil and big companies."
Like big ethanol, big wind , big solar, don't forget about them

Like big ethanol, big wind , big solar, don't forget about them

One that confounds good and evil is an enemy to good.
Edmund Burke

Where did you hear that? Can you please provide examples?
welcome to the world!!!

Were you just born last night?
I have a different interpretation and definition of the "1%" and believe the statement that they "run the country and our lives" is to broad. The "1%" refers to individuals of the highest percentage of wealth. Lobby groups and special interest refer to groups of people or industries that have common interest. None of the individuals in those groups may be members of the 1% and the group may not be supported or controlled by a single member of of the 1%.

Researchers concluded that U.S. government policies rarely align with the preferences of the majority of Americans, but do favour special interests and lobbying organizations: "When a majority of citizens disagrees with economic elites and/or with organized interests, they generally lose. Moreover, because of the strong status quo bias built into the US political system, even when fairly large majorities of Americans favour policy change, they generally do not get it."

Major Study Finds The US Is An Oligarchy - Business Insider

welcome to the world!!!

I have a different interpretation and definition of the "1%" and believe the statement that they "run the country and our lives" is to broad. The "1%" refers to individuals of the highest percentage of wealth. Lobby groups and special interest refer to groups of people or industries that have common interest. None of the individuals in those groups may be members of the 1% and the group may not be supported or controlled by a single member of of the 1%.
Fair answer, but I highly doubt anyone in the top 1% not donating to a political cause for a tax deduction or a pet project

even I have my charities or political causes I give to, for a write off or something I believe in like,St. Judes and I am not in the top 1%

Last edited:

The House bill passed on Oct. 30 essentially sought to wipe out a financial overhaul known as the "push-out rule." The rule prevents banks from using your deposits to trade in derivatives — risky securities that many believe contributed to the 2008 financial crisis.

Marcus Stanley of Americans for Financial Reform says the regulation was a way to protect taxpayer money.

"The purpose of this part of Dodd-Frank was to basically say that Wall Street derivatives activities should be funded by private money and shouldn't get a public subsidy, and this bill kind of reversed that," Stanley says.

So you're saying that basically Government runs our lives and plutocrats are making changes on the fringes

Admit it Crusader, you lost this one. Money manages America today occasionally for good most often for not so good. Soon the TPP will lower youe wages to 50 cents an hour.

10 Supreme Court Rulings Before Hobby Lobby That Turned Corporations Into People Mother Jones

"Japan ships 1.5 million cars to America each year, but allows only 20,000 American cars into its own market. Since 2012, Japan’s yen has devalued by 50 percent against the dollar. Now Japan wants tariff-free access to the U.S. market through the TPP while it continues cheat on currency."

896 600 Reasons to Care About the Trans-Pacific Partnership Alliance for American Manufacturing

So you're saying that basically Government runs our lives and plutocrats are making changes on the fringes
He doesnt know what he's saying. He's quoting some left wing blog that is retelling hearsay to make some kind of point about scary eevul corporations.
If corporations run everythign why did Obama have to write an EO so they couldnt leave the country?

Simple answer for the OP. Tell us why you hate George Soros and that your answer to the OP

welcome to the world!!!

Fair answer, but I highly doubt anyone in the top 1% not donating to a political cause for a tax deduction or a pet project

even I have my charities or political causes I give to, for a write off or something I believe in like,St. Judes and I am not in the top 1%
One person with huge control of issues and pet projects with the use of obscene wealth can easily become sinister and evil. Groups tend to have built in fail safes and usually require hard to hide conspiracies to do sinister and evil things. The influence of special interest is a different discussion than the one about individual members of the 1%. Today's Presidential campaigns are a good example. Allowing increased influence of the 1%, or unchallenged regulation of the obscenely wealthy invites sinister and evil results and impact on our institutions and systems. All the negatives an oligarchy.

Admit it Crusader, you lost this one. Money manages America today occasionally for good most often for not so good. Soon the TPP will lower youe wages to 50 cents an hour.

10 Supreme Court Rulings Before Hobby Lobby That Turned Corporations Into People Mother Jones

"Japan ships 1.5 million cars to America each year, but allows only 20,000 American cars into its own market. Since 2012, Japan’s yen has devalued by 50 percent against the dollar. Now Japan wants tariff-free access to the U.S. market through the TPP while it continues cheat on currency."

896 600 Reasons to Care About the Trans-Pacific Partnership Alliance for American Manufacturing

Lower my wages to 50 cents LOL. That's your answer?

How will that happen?

He doesnt know what he's saying. He's quoting some left wing blog that is retelling hearsay to make some kind of point about scary eevul corporations.
If corporations run everythign why did Obama have to write an EO so they couldnt leave the country?

I know EXACTLY what I'm saying...

Unfortunately only liberals understand democracy...right wing turds like Rabbi worship the oligarchs. It is crucial to conservatism that the people must literally love the order that dominates them.

The best explanation I have seen that states the liberal point of view:

There is nothing wrong with corporations. Corporations are a good thing. They encourage us to take risks. They maximize wealth. They create jobs. They're a great thing, but they should not be running our government. The reason for that is they don't have the same aspirations for America that you and I do. A corporation does not want democracy. It does not want free markets, it wants profits, and the best way for it to get profits is to use our campaign-finance system -- which is just a system of legalized bribery -- to get their stakes, their hooks into a public official and then use that public official to dismantle the marketplace to give them a competitive advantage and then to privatize the commons, to steal the commonwealth, to liquidate public assets for cash, to plunder, to steal from the rest of us.

Teddy Roosevelt, a Republican, said that America would never be destroyed by a foreign power but he warned that our political institutions, our democratic institutions, would be subverted by malefactors of great wealth, who would erode them from within. Dwight Eisenhower, another Republican, in his most famous speech, warned America against domination by the military industrial complex.

Abraham Lincoln, the greatest Republican in our history, said during the height of the Civil War "I have the South in front of me and I have the bankers behind me. And for my country, I fear the bankers more." Franklin Roosevelt said during World War II that the domination of government by corporate power is "the essence of fascism" and Benito Mussolini -- who had an insider's view of that process -- said the same thing. Essentially, he complained that fascism should not be called fascism. It should be called corporatism because it was the merger of state and corporate power. And what we have to understand as Americans is that the domination of business by government is called communism. The domination of government by business is called fascism. And our job is to walk that narrow trail in between, which is free-market capitalism and democracy. And keep big government at bay with our right hand and corporate power at bay with our left.

In order to do that, we need an informed public and an activist public. And we need a vigorous and an independent press that is willing to speak truth to power. And we no longer have that in the United States of America. And that's something that puts all the values we care about in jeopardy, because you cannot have a clean environment if you do not have a functioning democracy. They are intertwined; they go together. There is a direct correlation around the planet between the level of tyranny and the level of environmental destruction.

The only way you can protect the environment is through a true, locally based democracy. You can protect it for a short term under a tyranny, where there is some kind of beneficent dictator but, over the long term, the only way we can protect the environment is by ensuring our democracy. That has got to be the number-one issue for all of us: to try to restore American democracy, because without that we lose all of the other things that we value.

Classical liberals assume a natural equality of humans; conservatives assume a natural hierarchy.
James M. Buchanan

Forum List

Back