At this moment, this Presidency is not going well

Which one, precisely? I'll be happy to respond.
QUOTE="jc456, post: 22983789, member: 46512"]
You just keep trying this. I pointed out where the economy IS RIGHT NOW. I made no projections. Not one.

If this is beyond you, just don't read the thread.
What does this mean then?

we can certainly remain hopeful that it will reverse course and increase. There have been spotty signs that

You don’t even know what you wrote
Yes, GDP was down from the 3.1% prior period reading. That doesn't mean that it was negative growth, it means that it was down. Slower positive growth.

It might be up the next period. Here's hoping.

Is this really that difficult for you to understand? Are you really trying to make a point with that?
not for me at all. I'm not concerned at all about the economy. Haven't been since January 2017. Yet you posted concerns. it's amazing you don't recognize what you said.
I suspect it was a wee bit too complicated for you.

And if you're "not concerned at all about the economy", you live in a world of willful ignorance. There are ALWAYS conflicting data.
what is it I can do about the economy as an individual? it seems you feel you have some guru magic you could spin. too fking funny. maybe your message was too stupid to decipher they way you intended it then. but fk, why would you take any of the onus?
And for the 50th time on this thread, you guys just make stuff up that I didn't say.

Always a good sign. Thanks.

I know: Criticize Trump, it must be TDS.
Could you explain the reasoning that you used to come to that ridiculous conclusion?

Or are you attempting to defend via a classic straw man argument?

Or what?

Always a good sign when folks try to argue over stuff I didn't say.
Your OP was based off of numerous false assumptions and the answers were in line with reality rather than media spin.

For one thing 2.1 GDP isn't bad in a strong economy. Constant uncontrolled growth usually leads to a bubble which can burst. However, radical changes such as growth and contraction is an indication of a volatile economy.
So, after Trump's predictions and promises of much higher growth, you're okay with a 2.1% GDP. That's bad during the Obama years, but just peachy now.

Well, no surprise there.

Okay, and the other four points?

How is it supposed to go higher?
More consumer spending, more business capital spending. It ain't that complicated.

There's not enough economic activity to drive either better GDP growth or inflation right now.

Could that change? Yep, here's hoping. My OP is about where we are right now.

Your OP was based off of numerous false assumptions and the answers were in line with reality rather than media spin.

For one thing 2.1 GDP isn't bad in a strong economy. Constant uncontrolled growth usually leads to a bubble which can burst. However, radical changes such as growth and contraction is an indication of a volatile economy.
So, after Trump's predictions and promises of much higher growth, you're okay with a 2.1% GDP. That's bad during the Obama years, but just peachy now.

Well, no surprise there.

More consumer spending, more business capital spending. It ain't that complicated.

There's not enough economic activity to drive either better GDP growth or inflation right now.

We are at full employment..

Good gawd man...

Not that it really matters to some, but we're not really in a good place at the moment. Things could turn, and most of us continue to hope for the best. But, as of early morning, August 24, here we are:

The Economy
While the unemployment figures look very good on their face, they are clearly not translating to growth, especially at the cost of the exploding deficit that temporarily goosed the economy. GDP is currently at 2.1%, but we can certainly remain hopeful that it will reverse course and increase. There have been spotty signs that growth-push inflation may be ticking up, but the trade war is clearly effecting sentiment (not to mention data) at a terribly delicate moment. Right now, this is a decent economy, at best, with consumers lacking the resources to push it and their household debt above 2008 levels.

Trade With China
Our President doesn't appear to understand that China is paying attention. They realize quite well that he's trying to bully them into a trade deal, like an eight-year old boy trying to bully another child out of their lunch at the playground. Meanwhile, Trump exhibits zero (0) understanding of the fact that China can theoretically out-wait us here, since they don't have those pesky elections to worry about all that much if the populace gets pissed off. While anything is certainly possible, it's tough to imagine China making any long term commitments until after they see who they're dealing with in January of 2021.

International Relations
Our President has not only isolated himself and his country from the rest of the world with his actions, but also with his petulant behaviors. Even for those of us who have done all we can to lower our standards and expectations of his child-like behavior, the thought of this goofy, pointless dust-up with Denmark (Denmark!) makes us wonder if this man can get along with anyone outside his base. Meanwhile, the crazy fat kid in North Korea is shooting off rockets like he's in charge of the Fourth of July celebration at the park. Like China, the world is clearly looking ahead, with hope, to November 2020.

The Wall
Trump's signature, paranoid, shallow, hyper-simplistic election issue piece isn't exactly flying up with checks to pay for it coming in from Mexico. Even with the White House, House and Senate, this President wasn't able to do much more than slap up a few new two by fours to fix some areas of our existing wall. Any completely "new" wall is spotty at best, and now he's ready to steal cash from one place to placate his base with a few miles of a much less Trumpish wall here and there. Gee, great, so much for that idea. I guess "Build! The! Wall!" could still serve as a standby rally chant when needed.

Race
Well, examining this topic is most likely a waste of time here, since there are many on this board who are telling us that racism no longer exists, or it's fake news, or that if you don't show up to work wearing a white hood you can't be a racist. What a disaster. And minorities are supposed to ignore all of it, because the unemployment rate is down at the moment. While the sycophants continue to run interference for the President Who Doesn't Know Who David Duke is, the rest of the country and the rest of the world are simply not buying the bullshit. But it sure sounds good on talk radio.

The silver lining? By far the most "successful" component of the Trump years will probably turn out to be the courts. The SC is in good shape for them, and they now have the added bonus of hoping that Ruth is quickly ravaged by cancer and dies soon. Ditto (no pun intended) for the lower courts, the nominations of which don't make much news but sure look like Sean Hannity picked 'em.

Could the economy turn back up? Yes, definitely, hopefully, but some kind of GOOD trade deal with China is now pretty much mandatory for that to happen. The Courts are the Courts. They'll probably be able to gather enough Lego™ blocks to build enough of a wall somewhere to keep talk radio and the base happy. International Relations? Race Relations? Pffffft. Who cares. Fake news.
I think this is a reasonable assessment. I don't necessarily agree with some of it, but it is a fair take. It's a refreshing change from the "TRUMP IS A PSYCHO WHO WILL DESTROY THE WORLD, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES" take.
:laugh:
:beer:

Courts
While I don't like the Jesus Nazi appointments to the Courts, they do tend to be more constitutionalists and understand the role of the court. They understand the process for changing the constitution and do not abuse their office in legislating from the bench...AS MUCH (they still do and we must get that under control).

Wall
No one of reason believes that we need a 2,000 mile wall. But, we do need a barrier here:
View attachment 276023
Because it is really close to here:
View attachment 276024

Racism
Racism does still exist. There have been racist actions in the past that have solely benefited white people. That is unquestionable. The problem lies in what we do to correct it and how it is relayed to the public. It must be a "unity" message, rather than a blame message.

International Relations
I don't think we have really had a whole lot of "friends" in the world. I think we have overextended ourselves and our "allies" benefit from our financial support for their defense, which is unilateral. But, there is no need to go around pissing on everyone and making enemies.

Otherwise...:beer:

:beer:

Well, no surprise there.

Good gawd man...
Yes. And? Can you think of any other variables?

QUOTE="jc456, post: 22983789, member: 46512"]What does this mean then?

we can certainly remain hopeful that it will reverse course and increase. There have been spotty signs that

You don’t even know what you wrote
Yes, GDP was down from the 3.1% prior period reading. That doesn't mean that it was negative growth, it means that it was down. Slower positive growth.

Is this really that difficult for you to understand? Are you really trying to make a point with that?
not for me at all. I'm not concerned at all about the economy. Haven't been since January 2017. Yet you posted concerns. it's amazing you don't recognize what you said.

And if you're "not concerned at all about the economy", you live in a world of willful ignorance. There are ALWAYS conflicting data.
what is it I can do about the economy as an individual? it seems you feel you have some guru magic you could spin. too fking funny. maybe your message was too stupid to decipher they way you intended it then. but fk, why would you take any of the onus?
And for the 50th time on this thread, you guys just make stuff up that I didn't say.

then your writing skills suck. huh, maybe? way to act like the clarity was all there.

then your writing skills suck. huh, maybe? way to act like the clarity was all there.
Could be. I'll be happy to take the blame. I know how you folks are.

Well, no surprise there.

well when congress is sitting on their thumbs, i'm not sure. they could be assisting with taxes and spending and shit that legislative bodies are supposed to do. I don't know,

Could be. I'll be happy to take the blame. I know how you folks are.
you're hardly doing that. your responses say otherwise.

Well, no surprise there.

Good gawd man...

So how can you grow more unless you destroy the welfare state?

Well, no surprise there.

Good gawd man...

Again, it's about consumer and business spending. It has slowed. It could turn, but it has slowed.

Both individual and corporate debt are getting up there, and that might not be a good sign. And incomes have not increased enough to allow for better spending.

What's the big deal with Mac? is he not just another poster like the rest of us? He asks questions, gives his OPINION, at the very least he does not back away & ignore what some one has said & yes he has altered his view in some areas, its possible I could change mine, IF it was usual to get a straight answer too questions asked.

What's the big deal with Mac? is he not just another poster like the rest of us? He asks questions, gives his OPINION, at the very least he does not back away & ignore what some one has said & yes he has altered his view in some areas, its possible I could change mine, IF it was usual to get a straight answer too questions asked.
No, he suffers fools lightly and seems unashamed to have nothing better to do. Besides, he said "this Presidency is not going well" which sounds like "Trump Sucks!" to many here and makes them troll cry, page after page after page, until mommy calls them to dinner.

Good gawd man...

Again, it's about consumer and business spending. It has slowed. It could turn, but it has slowed.

Both individual and corporate debt are getting up there, and that might not be a good sign. And incomes have not increased enough to allow for better spending.
that's hilarious, since the July consumer spending did better than expected, and August isn't over. Yep, when you just can't pay attention to details. there's MAC.

Good gawd man...

that's hilarious, since the July consumer spending did better than expected, and August isn't over. Yep, when you just can't pay attention to details. there's MAC.
Do you understand that "better than expected" and "what is needed to push growth" are two different things?

You're just trying too hard here. It would be smarter for you to just not post. Calm down. Have a cookie.

Good gawd man...

But that is only one data point. And the expectations were low due to recession fears.

Good gawd man...

Do you understand that "better than expected" and "what is needed to push growth" are two different things?

You're just trying too hard here. It would be smarter for you to just not post. Calm down. Have a cookie.
too fking funny. stay in your saddle lone ranger!! consumer spending was better than expected. that means it was up! you implied it was down, again!!! it wasn't.

Forum List

Back