At what point, if any, do we help the Cuban people?

Apparently the regime has opened fire on protestors and one person has been confirmed killed as a result. Other reports say that some protestors & reporters are "disappearing" after being confronted by the regimes armed surrogates.

So do we have any role to play in this? Should we? Should we not?

Biden reportedly said he will not accept asylum seekers or refugees from Cuba despite letting the rest of the Southern Heimisphere flood our Southern border.

Priorities seem kinda WACK to me.
Did he actually say that?

And honestly why would you rightwingers care? You refused refugees from the Syrian Civil War, put a drastic reduction on visas for Iraqis and Afghans who helped us in those conflictS, don’t think people from the central american triangle countries escaping violence deserve asylum....what exactly makes Cuba so special that all of a sudden we should do something??
Refugees are supposed to take shelter in the first country they come to next to theirs. Syria is half way around the globe. Cuba is in our back yard ffs. So if we do nothing and it spirals out of control China or Russia move in and now instead of a bunch or poor Cubans on our back porch we have an enemy military on our back porch.

Use your brain
Central America and Mexico are our backyard. You are also confusing refugee and asylum seeker.
I'm not confusing anything, you are playing semantics.

And I posted a link to the DHS secretary saying they are NOT WELCOME HERE. He made the statement in the last day or two

Apparently the regime has opened fire on protestors and one person has been confirmed killed as a result. Other reports say that some protestors & reporters are "disappearing" after being confronted by the regimes armed surrogates.

Biden reportedly said he will not accept asylum seekers or refugees from Cuba despite letting the rest of the Southern Heimisphere flood our Southern border.

And honestly why would you rightwingers care? You refused refugees from the Syrian Civil War, put a drastic reduction on visas for Iraqis and Afghans who helped us in those conflictS, don’t think people from the central american triangle countries escaping violence deserve asylum....what exactly makes Cuba so special that all of a sudden we should do something??
The Administration is letting in millions of refugees and says they're oppressed and starving and a host of other ailments. The Cuban people are protesting against an evil dictatorial and brutal regime and are being arrested, jailed and shot in the streets. It won't be long before they are massacred in the streets and executed by firing squads in the prisons. Time for change. As one poster said here, Biden won't let them in because he knows they wont vote Democrat. Plus, he doesn't want to piss off China and Russia.
I disagree. For one, I can’t find any statements by Biden refusing to grant asylum to Cubans seeking it. And second, as I pointed out, we refused those fleeing the Syrian conflict. Some of the Central Americans a fleeing horrendous violence by gangs and cartels who operate as tbe de facto governments. Trying to claim one is more deserving than the other strikes me as wrong,

The Administration is letting in millions of refugees and says they're oppressed and starving and a host of other ailments. The Cuban people are protesting against an evil dictatorial and brutal regime and are being arrested, jailed and shot in the streets. It won't be long before they are massacred in the streets and executed by firing squads in the prisons. Time for change. As one poster said here, Biden won't let them in because he knows they wont vote Democrat. Plus, he doesn't want to piss off China and Russia.
I disagree. For one, I can’t find any statements by Biden refusing to grant asylum to Cubans seeking it. And second, as I pointed out, we refused those fleeing the Syrian conflict. Some of the Central Americans a fleeing horrendous violence by gangs and cartels who operate as tbe de facto governments. Trying to claim one is more deserving than the other strikes me as wrong,
International law says that asylum-seekers must go to the nearest refuge, not cross other countries and travel hundreds or thousands of miles to get to whatever "refuge" they choose.

Refugees are supposed to take shelter in the first country they come to next to theirs. Syria is half way around the globe. Cuba is in our back yard ffs. So if we do nothing and it spirals out of control China or Russia move in and now instead of a bunch or poor Cubans on our back porch we have an enemy military on our back porch.

Use your brain
Central America and Mexico are our backyard. You are also confusing refugee and asylum seeker.
I'm not confusing anything, you are playing semantics.

And I posted a link to the DHS secretary saying they are NOT WELCOME HERE. He made the statement in the last day or two
That is not saying they won’t be granted asylum. That is preventing another rush of people trying to make a very dangerous journey. You would also be damning him if he said come on over y’all.

If actually says no asylum will be granted, you would have point.

International law says that asylum-seekers must go to the nearest refuge, not cross other countries and travel hundreds or thousands of miles to get to whatever "refuge" they choose.
In that case Cubans should be going to Haiti and Jamaica.

Well we could take a page out of FDR and Churchill's book from WWII. Let the Cuban exiles form a government in exile, recognize it formally as the government of Cuba, loan it arms and ships and let the Cubans fight for their own country. No Americans directly involved, no skin off our nose and only cost a billion or two in chump change. Essentially do what JFK planned; let the Cubans fight and if the Cuban populace rises up in support, well and good. Otherwise let nature take it's course.
We actually don’t even have to bring them here. We have this sweet base called Gitmo they could use to form a new government. Just off all the towel heads we have there like should have been done long ago and make it a safe haven for Cuban freedom fighters.

Cubans are not killer rapist Mexicans?

Allowing refugee seekers in, sure. No real problem there. It is rather nonsensical that we would not considering that it seems we are willing to accept them from almost anywhere else. That is, however, about it. The US stomping around and trying to solve the problems of everyone else has not and will not work. The people there have to do it on their own.

Where we make real headway is in flexing our economic power and the economic power of all our allies together.
Yeah sure....we let half the fuckin third world in...what's another country added to the shit pile?
The most productive people in this nation tend to be first and second generation immigrants. They are the hardest working people you will ever meet doing jobs that many would not want to do themselves. People that come here from those failed nations and do it legally have an appreciation of what it means to actually be free that the vast majority of Americans cannot even fathom.

What percentage of Cuba's entire population supports the protests?

Washington’s Weaponization of Protests in Cuba Takes Its Regime Change Efforts to New Heights of Hypocrisy - CounterPunch.org

"Biden talks as if the protesters are representative of the entireCuban people when there is no evidence to support this insinuation. Cuba is an island of 11 million people who hold diverse views about the revolution and all manner of other matters.

"There is zero evidence to suggest that the majority of the Cuban people want to reverse the major social gains of the revolution.
49639527257_0ff503907c_o.jpg

"And why would they when you look at the state of other Caribbean island nations that have obeyed the Washington Consensus and followed the dictates of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank?

"Perhaps the country in the Caribbean to have most closely followed Washington’s preferred neoliberal economic model has been Haiti, which remains the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere."

I think there's a Bay of Pigs playbook around somewhere we can dust off and make some commies push up daisies.

Allowing refugee seekers in, sure. No real problem there. It is rather nonsensical that we would not considering that it seems we are willing to accept them from almost anywhere else. That is, however, about it. The US stomping around and trying to solve the problems of everyone else has not and will not work. The people there have to do it on their own.

Where we make real headway is in flexing our economic power and the economic power of all our allies together.
Yeah sure....we let half the fuckin third world in...what's another country added to the shit pile?
The most productive people in this nation tend to be first and second generation immigrants. They are the hardest working people you will ever meet doing jobs that many would not want to do themselves. People that come here from those failed nations and do it legally have an appreciation of what it means to actually be free that the vast majority of Americans cannot even fathom.
Don't give me that boomer bullshit.

The Cuban citizens tend to vote republican. So they cannot allow them.

"There is zero evidence to suggest that the majority of the Cuban people want to reverse the major social gains of the revolution.
calvin-and-hobbes-rofl.jpg

What gains?

At the moment the only ones helping the anticommunist people in Cuba are the Floridians, it seems

"Floridians are using their own personal boats to send food and other supplies to the anti-communism protesters in Cuba according to a CBS affiliate in Miami."

about 9 hours ago

That is not saying they won’t be granted asylum. That is preventing another rush of people trying to make a very dangerous journey. You would also be damning him if he said come on over y’all.

If actually says no asylum will be granted, you would have point.

Maybe I'm wrong here but I thought we wrote into law all Cubans that make it to our border will be accepted. In any case, running never solved anything. The people need to fight for their freedom just like we had to, and continue to do that nearly every day in this country.

Forum List

Back