Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

How can an atheist KNOW no god(s) exists?

Wow, now you are omnipotent. I really should make sure I get the memos.

See the thing is, theists lie or believe lies. They say god visited them. That's one reason I don't believe in god(s) but even with that I wasn't there so maybe there were talking snakes and virgin births 2000 years plus ago. Do you believe that?

Did you believe Obama when he said if you like your insurance you can keep it? Does that make you a theist?

I don't care what you believe. If you don't agree with me you probably believe the unbelievable or unprovable and I'm just trying to help you see that. Or I'm trying to help others realize that. Who cares about little old you and what you think?

You must think you are god.

windy - I didn't quite follow what you were trying to convey "call the religion that they incorporate atheism into atheism" ..huh ? ..I know you can write better than that - I've seen your posts - but you didn't quite nail that one.

Can you provide an example of a sentence you think would be better? Because there are actual atheists who call their religion atheism, and the incorporate the belief that there is no god, AKA atheism, into their religion.

There is a difference between believing something and not believing in something. I've seen great videos that go into great depth explaining the difference. Not going to waste my time finding it and posting it again. Fact is, I may or may not believe anything you claim. If you told me you were bald I'd believe you but what proof do I have? If you told me you were a perfect 10 I wouldn't believe you but what proof would I have?

Maybe this is the difference?

Believe is a verb. Belief is a noun.

"I believe in him."
"I challenge his belief."

I don't believe. That doesn't mean I have a belief. They do! I'm just challenging it.

But then I can't say IT because then I'm challenging god again:

it
pronoun
  1. 1.
    used to refer to a thing previously mentioned or easily identified.
  2. 2.
    used to identify a person.
    "it's me"
But would anyone refer to God as IT?

I refer to God all the time as an it. If it has a sex at all, it is more likely to be female than male.

As to the rest, bollocks. Any conclusion made in the absence of evidence is a belief. Not a single person on this or any other board has ever challenged that statement, because it really can't be challenged. You have made many posts just chock full of belief. This claim being made that belief is not belief is just dogma. It is, in fact, the one thing which convinces me that Atheism is being treated as a religion.

Is that a strong belief? Why are you treating Agnosticism like a religion?

Not particularly strong and it is a belief. A being which essentially gave birth to the universe? Which sex gives birth? However, as I have repeatedly stated, belief does not make a religion.

And neither does atheism...

No, that belief does not make it religion. I'm not sure how many times this has to be said, perhaps there is no end because ultimately the problem is the very thing which is turning it into religion - dogma. When you toss dogma into the mix, you are into religion. Dogma is the essence of religion - the unquestioned acceptance of doctrine. For you, that doctrine is a lack of belief. It doesn't matter that it has been shown that you do have belief, the dogma is that you don't and that is all there is to it. It is this absolute insistence, regardless of the evidence, that an arbitrary definition creates reality which turns what would otherwise be a perfectly valid belief into a religion. I get you won't see that, because to do that you first need to question the dogma.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make a lick of sense. There's no dogma, and lack of belief is not a religion.

Atheism is Not a Religion, Ideology, Belief System, Philosophy

I refer to God all the time as an it. If it has a sex at all, it is more likely to be female than male.

As to the rest, bollocks. Any conclusion made in the absence of evidence is a belief. Not a single person on this or any other board has ever challenged that statement, because it really can't be challenged. You have made many posts just chock full of belief. This claim being made that belief is not belief is just dogma. It is, in fact, the one thing which convinces me that Atheism is being treated as a religion.

Not particularly strong and it is a belief. A being which essentially gave birth to the universe? Which sex gives birth? However, as I have repeatedly stated, belief does not make a religion.

No, that belief does not make it religion. I'm not sure how many times this has to be said, perhaps there is no end because ultimately the problem is the very thing which is turning it into religion - dogma. When you toss dogma into the mix, you are into religion. Dogma is the essence of religion - the unquestioned acceptance of doctrine. For you, that doctrine is a lack of belief. It doesn't matter that it has been shown that you do have belief, the dogma is that you don't and that is all there is to it. It is this absolute insistence, regardless of the evidence, that an arbitrary definition creates reality which turns what would otherwise be a perfectly valid belief into a religion. I get you won't see that, because to do that you first need to question the dogma.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make a lick of sense. There's no dogma, and lack of belief is not a religion.

You do not lack belief, calling it a lack of belief is your dogma - which you will not question. You're in a loop.

Dogma is a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true. It serves as part of the primary basis of an ideology or belief system, and it cannot be changed or discarded without affecting the very system's paradigm, or the ideology itself. The term can refer to acceptable opinions of philosophers or philosophical schools, public decrees, religion, or issued decisions of political authorities.

Atheists don't have Dogma.

Yes, that is what dogma is. If Atheists don't have it, then you are not an Atheist because you do have it. If Atheists lack belief, then you are not an Atheist because you do not lack belief.

Just like when I watch those religious shows on tv and they pretend to have a real honest debate with an atheist, I notice you guys blow off 99% of what we say and only reply to the 1% of our argument you are comfortable discussing. Perhaps it is you who needs to watch it again, and again, and again, until it sinks in.
/grins.....and you guys accuse US of brain washing......

See the thing is, theists lie or believe lies. They say god visited them. That's one reason I don't believe in god(s) but even with that I wasn't there so maybe there were talking snakes and virgin births 2000 years plus ago. Do you believe that?

Did you believe Obama when he said if you like your insurance you can keep it? Does that make you a theist?

I don't care what you believe. If you don't agree with me you probably believe the unbelievable or unprovable and I'm just trying to help you see that. Or I'm trying to help others realize that. Who cares about little old you and what you think?

Well, I do believe in myself. Since you guys try to confuse belief and disbelief and atheism with religion and since along with your belief comes faith, worship and god(s), I could see why you would consider me a God.

Well, I do believe in myself. Since you guys try to confuse belief and disbelief and atheism with religion and since along with your belief comes faith, worship and god(s), I could see why you would consider me a God.

This may comes as a surprise from my screen name, but I am a great fan of the author Terry Pratchett. He has a character in his books which really does apply here beautifully. The character's name is just The Duck Man. He walks around with a duck on his head and when people ask him why he always answers, "What duck?" It is possible you don't see that you are constantly expressing opinions which are nothing but pure belief, but that doesn't mean we don't see it. Defining yourself as not having belief does not mean all of that belief just disappears, it means the definition is wrong.

I think we have established that by now. Lets get back to the real subject and that's we made up gods. He never visited or talked to anyone. So basically our caveman ancestors invented him sitting around a camp fire 400,000 years ago. Hundreds if not thousands of "religions" have come and gone in our very short human history.

I remember the guy on USMB yesterday who suggested he's a rev or pastor or preacher who said Jesus did live. He did die. He did rise up and he won't die again. Something like that. He was soooo sure of himself. Soooo sure his religion was right. Here's the thing. So were the Greek's about their Greek Gods. So were the Jews. Hell, the Jews supposedly saw what Jesus did. If he couldn't convert any of them except 12 guys, how are people buying it today? Because the story wasn't written in Jesus' day. Men wrote the bible basically 100 years after the supposed fact and no one else at the time of his supposedly life did anyone in the world write about him. Not in Greece, Middle East, Rome. Not at the time. Men wrote about him later but they were newly converted Christians themselves.

Another Christian yesterday said how the story still lives on today. So what? It just happens to be the current religion in our history.

Here is a fact. People are leaving Christianity just like they left all the other unbelievable religions. Unless god comes back in the modern era and proves himself again, humans are going to drop the stories of 2000 years plus ago or 500 or 200 and they are going to move to a generic god. Just like most of the theists on USMB aren't Christians who actually believe the Adam & Eve, Moses, Noah or Jonah stories, eventually they will realize Jesus is an allegory too. I don't mind a generic god because people aren't claiming that he talks to them. Well Boss is the exception.

PS. I do actually want it to be a religion. In the sense we meet once a week to hang out with people who think like us. Know we aren't alone. Get the tax write offs. You know how they said atheists don't do good deeds? That's because we dont' have a church to point to and say look see how much we give? lol

windy - I didn't quite follow what you were trying to convey "call the religion that they incorporate atheism into atheism" ..huh ? ..I know you can write better than that - I've seen your posts - but you didn't quite nail that one.

Can you provide an example of a sentence you think would be better? Because there are actual atheists who call their religion atheism, and the incorporate the belief that there is no god, AKA atheism, into their religion.

One Sunday I noticed for hours and hours this TCT religious tv channel was brainwashing you dumb Americans with that Jesus talk. I didn't see any atheist shows. Perhaps some atheist out there wants to have a show on that religious channel. I could see that. I could easily start arguing that atheism should be considered a religion if I wanted it to be one.

As of right now, we don't. I can't speak for all atheists but for this argument, no we are not a religion.

Atheism has no sacred texts, no rituals or creation stories, no positive beliefs, central tenants, modes of worship or supernatural claims, no implicit or derived moral codes, philosophies or world views and no central organization or church. It fulfills none of the criteria that define a religion.

One Sunday I noticed for hours and hours this TCT religious tv channel was brainwashing you dumb Americans with that Jesus talk.
why would you watch religious TV channels for hours?.......do you figure that since you don't think there's a God who's going to punish you for eternity, you should do it to yourself now?.....

Dogma is a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true. It serves as part of the primary basis of an ideology or belief system, and it cannot be changed or discarded without affecting the very system's paradigm, or the ideology itself. The term can refer to acceptable opinions of philosophers or philosophical schools, public decrees, religion, or issued decisions of political authorities.

Yes, that is what dogma is. If Atheists don't have it, then you are not an Atheist because you do have it. If Atheists lack belief, then you are not an Atheist because you do not lack belief.

I don't lack belief? Please explain.

One Sunday I noticed for hours and hours this TCT religious tv channel was brainwashing you dumb Americans with that Jesus talk.
why would you watch religious TV channels for hours?.......do you figure that since you don't think there's a God who's going to punish you for eternity, you should do it to yourself now?.....

I only stay tuned if it's good. I mean really good. Most of the time I stay for 15 seconds. But if Kirk Cameron is debunking evolution or a kid show isn't really giving the real atheist side of the argument, yes I do stay tuned and torture myself. I wish there was a number I could call or I wish they had to have a show after that gives our position just like the GOP get to do a speech after the President does the State of the Union.

If they are healing people, I watch. If they are talking crazy, if the black preacher is particularly good. Too many HA'S! in between words and I can't stand it. I sit amazed at how stupid/primitive/unevolved/uneducated the masses are.

One show I saw the guy was asking for $77 x 10 months put it on your cc. I said to my dad, "who would pay them $" and he said my aunt does. She's sitting around feeling bad both physically and mentally and they say send $ and a miracle will come your way. All these years no miracle. I feel sorry for her.

Then there's the Arab Christians Chaldeans and they are anti ISIS and anti Obama. Their whole schtick is Christians being persecuted in the middle east. Then there's Jack Van Amp and that woman who's a real good speaker. The 700 club.

I'm sorry I wish it were all true but you people are just so dumb.

Know we aren't alone.
you're out of luck there.....

We are all out of luck in the end. Sorry to break the news to you.

“I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there’s little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.” – Carl Sagan

This may comes as a surprise from my screen name, but I am a great fan of the author Terry Pratchett. He has a character in his books which really does apply here beautifully. The character's name is just The Duck Man. He walks around with a duck on his head and when people ask him why he always answers, "What duck?" It is possible you don't see that you are constantly expressing opinions which are nothing but pure belief, but that doesn't mean we don't see it. Defining yourself as not having belief does not mean all of that belief just disappears, it means the definition is wrong.

I get it I guess. But remember, I also believe you are crazy.

These shows are also much more fun to watch now that I'm in on the joke.

I don't lack belief? Please explain.

I can explain, I'm just not sure you will see it. If you read your own posts from a critical perspective, you might see it. For example, just a couple of posts above this you wrote:

"I think we have established that by now. Lets get back to the real subject and that's we made up gods. He never visited or talked to anyone. So basically our caveman ancestors invented him sitting around a camp fire 400,000 years ago. Hundreds if not thousands of "religions" have come and gone in our very short human history."

You present no evidence. You make broad claims as if they were fact with no support of any kind. This entire paragraph is pure belief on your part. You think it is true solely upon the basis that you think it is true. You do not lack belief.

Forum List

Back