Atlanta school: No more Pledge of Allegiance to start day

QUOTE="C_Clayton_Jones, post: 20545333, member: 29614"]
Then federal money should be optional.
…says the big government, authoritarian conservative who fears individualism and dissent, and seeks to compel conformity.[/QUOTE]

I sure hope Trump gives us another tax cut!

One has to be careful nowadays as to what one is pledging allegiance to. Some people are equating the American flag to mean allegiance to donald trump or the right-wing conservatives. When I was a child, it just meant the nation. When our astronauts landed on the moon, I stood up in our living room as our flag was planted on the moon, out of respect and pride. But I won't be saluting any national symbols until this confusion is cleared up.

Good for them. Being pressured into reciting your loyalty every morning is cult level shit.

Students at an Atlanta school will no longer say the Pledge of Allegiance to start their school day.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School on Tuesday announced the change in a news release.

No. It is expressing love for your country level patriotism.

Good for them. Being pressured into reciting your loyalty every morning is cult level shit.

Students at an Atlanta school will no longer say the Pledge of Allegiance to start their school day.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School on Tuesday announced the change in a news release.

Love is natural and voluntary. It's not something you're instructed to do.

Tell that to the homo and trans movements.

You are merely asked to pledge allegiance to a country who provides funding for your education.

Given that the Department of Education is unconstitutional, pledging allegiance in a public school to the flag and to the Republic for which it's supposed to stand is kind of a non sequitur.

Abolish it and provide tax credits to help people. It's a complete failure.

You are merely asked to pledge allegiance to a country who provides funding for your education.

Given that the Department of Education is unconstitutional, pledging allegiance in a public school to the flag and to the Republic for which it's supposed to stand is kind of a non sequitur.

Abolish it and provide tax credits to help people. It's a complete failure.
Tax cuts for taxpayers!

Pointlessly reciting anything serves no purpose.

Oh, there certainly is a purpose! If you want brainwashed patriots you gotta get started when they're young.

That's exactly why military drafts target teenagers. Old enough to handle armaments, not old enough to know better.
Teaching young kids a rhyme or a Pledge or a Christmas carol or the Lord's Prayer or WHATEVER does not stop their brains from developing. It's ridiculous to presume it does. As you grow up, your understanding of the words and concepts changes, just like revisiting a favorite book from when you were ten. It will look quite a bit different as an adult.

I don't think the Pledge did ANY of the stuff you allege, but .... I did look into the Pledge a bit, and learned that it's writer was a nasty nativist and xenophobe who was attempting to elucidate an "American" WASP platform to counteract all the foreigners hitting our shores and ruining our culture, etc. There's a good but depressing article by WaPo on it.

The Pledge itself, though, isn't hateful. Maybe we don't need it. Making a big deal out of it sure will only make the issue worse.

I didn't know we were the only country that had such a thing. That's interesting. But it is unfair to say people can't think sensibly about their country or their government or its place in the world because we recited it as kids.

Whoa. I didn't say it "stops their brains from developing" nor did I say it's "hateful".

What I'm saying is that it's systemic indoctrination, which is why it's injected into those as-young-as-possible minds, because that age is maximum fear factor. That way you cut the emotional knife deeper --- ideally deep enough that they won't dare challenge that "sacred" object. Which brings in the other thing I said, that it's a fetishism prayer. Again, that's indoctrinated at the youngest possible age for the same reason. And that's deliberately undermining critical thought by indoctrinating a Mob Mentality.

Exactly one hundred years ago a citizen in Montana was cornered by a mob of that same mentality who demanded that he bend down and kiss the flag. He refused the mob, and as a result HE --- not the mob but the citizen --- was arrested and sentenced to hard labor in prison. For defying the mob. That is why I have a problem with mob mentality and its teaching lemmings that "don't you dare think for yourself; ve haf vays of making you follow ze script".

But yes we're the only nation that demands a prayer to its own flag, and somebody else already posted the original way it was saluted, which was quietly done away with because Hitler's fascist salute so closely emulated it. That was a bit too close for comfort but close enough we could have learned that the body posture wasn't the only thing it had in common.

It is the height of irony that a nation supposedly founded on religious freedom, then turns around and demands its citizens must murmur a cult prayer to its own flag fetish.
Apparently, you escaped such indoctrination yourself. You have an outsider's view of this which is like mine about holy communion. However, I think most of us escaped the dire fate of turning into an unthinking Nazi mob because we recited the Pledge. Probably at least 3/4's of the posters on this board grew up reciting it in their public school education. There are some Willows, but if it worked for a lot less than most of us, it wasn't the "chanting" that did it. It was the nativist politics underlying their beliefs, which is shared in families and communities, not because of a Pledge.

I've always questioned everything. It's my nature. But obviously it's not everyone's. Obviously it wasn't the nature of the mob that accosted Earnest Starr either, and they got their dirty deed done. Obviously it wasn't the nature of the sycophants who cheered Rump on when he called for mob mentality against football players either. Any number of wars fought by frothed-up frenetics would show up under the same heading. The National Security League that fought to ban the teaching of the German language in schools, cannot be divorced from the mobs grabbing Dachshunds from their owners and stoning them to death in the street simply because we choose to call that dog breed by a name that is German. Any lynching. Etc etc etc. The long and short of it is that there is never anything good that can possibly come out of Mob Mentality.

It doesn't take literally everyone to make a mob mentality. All it takes is enough to form a mob and a willingness to lemming with it.

Last edited:

Actually read the first half-dozen words. It's fetishism, plain and simple and right to the point.

Even the Abrahamic religions that can't legally be dictated, themselves countenance against graven images, a/k/a idolatry.

As I kept hammering in to the heads of these yahoos during the flag-blasphemy thingy, patriotism is spontaneous and elective. It can not be scripted, planned or scheduled to happen at 7:04 and it absolutely cannot be mandatory. That's not "patriotism" -- that's a puppet show.

Last edited:

Actually read the first half-dozen words. It's fetishism, plain and simple and right to the point.

Even the Abrahamic religions that can't legally be dictated, themselves countenance against graven images, a/k/a idolatry.

Your deconstructionist logic breaks on the rocks of anti-Americanism . . . fetishization of what you insist to be a fetish. While you posture recursively in search of interpretations to support your opinion as a valid position, the heart of patriotism remains in the Right place. One must wonder why our Flag, Anthem and Pledge trouble you so. Almost like spritzing red, white and blue Holy Water in Vlad's face.

As I kept hammering in to the heads of these yahoos during the flag-blasphemy thingy, patriotism is spontaneous and elective. It can not be scripted, planned or scheduled to happen at 7:04 and it absolutely cannot be mandatory. That's not "patriotism" -- that's a puppet show.

Negative. Patriotism must first be taught and then handed over for the individual to carry alone by choice, or shrug it off his back as free will dictates. Again with the Anti-Americanism.

Your deconstructionist logic breaks on the rocks of anti-Americanism . . . fetishization of what you insist to be a fetish. While you posture recursively in search of interpretations to support your opinion as a valid position, the heart of patriotism remains in the Right place. One must wonder why our Flag, Anthem and Pledge trouble you so. Almost like spritzing red, white and blue Holy Water in Vlad's face.

So many thesaurses, so little point....

If you're actually unable to discern what my views on "Flag, Anthem and Pledge" are after all these posts, please order the pamphlet "How to Read" from the US Gummint Printing Office. I'm not about to cut and paste them all again just because you couldn't be bothered the first time.

Here's an idea Skippy --- instead of gainsaying with überlocution why don't you either (a) make a rational counterargument or (b) concede that you don't have one? Would save us all time.

If you're actually unable to discern what my views on "Flag, Anthem and Pledge" are after all these posts, please order the pamphlet "How to Read" from the US Gummint Printing Office. I'm not about to cut and paste them all again just because you couldn't be bothered the first time.

Here's an idea Skippy --- instead of gainsaying with überlocution why don't you either (a) make a rational counterargument or (b) concede that you don't have one? Would save us all time.

Just enjoying the show. Watching another one of your attempts to run into the ground any expressed position you find disagreeable or personally offensive, Skippy. Symbols of American freedom and sacrifice trouble you deeply. That is my only takeaway from our exchange.

Just enjoying the show. Watching another one of your attempts to run into the ground any expressed position you find disagreeable or personally offensive, Skippy. Symbols of American freedom and sacrifice trouble you deeply. That is my only takeaway from our exchange.

Okie dokey. So you have no counterargument other than mendacious morphing of my stance against robotism into "anti-Americanism".

Typical robot; Appeal to Emotion. That's how Mob Mentality always starts, isn't it.

Thanks for the demo. Your check is in the mail.

"Patriotism must be taught". What a great punchline. :spinner:

Okie dokey. So you have no counterargument other than mendacious morphing of my stance against robotism into "anti-Americanism".

Typical robot; Appeal to Emotion. That's how Mob Mentality always starts, isn't it.

Thanks for the demo. Your check is in the mail.

I was talking to my fiance about this thread. She grew up in Sweden. When I started to get into it there was a moment of "Wait, what? You were actually expected to stand up and recite a pledge to the flag every morning?"

People that didn't grow up with that shit find it to be rather bizarre, and they're definitely not wrong. Cult members never think they're part of a cult.

Forum List

Back