"atlas shrugged" will change the face of american politics

Ayn Rand is perhaps one of the worst authors I've ever wasted my time on. I got through 3/4ths of the Fountainhead before I tossed the book where it belonged..the trash.

It's comforting to know that before she died..she, like many Americans, had to rely on SSI because she went broke due to Medical expenses.

The irony was thick with this one.

There is no evidence to support your lie, thank you for trolling

Not only did she do it, she wrote an article defending her decision to do so.

Government Grants and Scholarships — Ayn*Rand Lexicon

From your link I'm still tring too find where she was broke and had to rely on SS

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope no one has already mentioned this quote:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Don't think so, but have seen it. It's interesting how much weight you give to a statement so lacking in anything remotely resembling an actual reasoned argument.

There is no evidence to support your lie, thank you for trolling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os4ORO8FMz8

From your link I'm still tring too find where she was broke and had to rely on SS

You'll find it here.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/100-Voices-Oral-History-Rand/dp/0451231309]Amazon.com: 100 Voices: An Oral History of Ayn Rand (9780451231307): Scott McConnell: Books[/ame]

i don't hate jews and i hardly hate the west? Wtf? Wow your brain kicked in, now it's gone again. Sad.
well that makes you atypical when you get down to it maggie. I've met more than a few liberals who hate the western (as typified by american, pre-multiculturalism, life) culture, and a few who blame jews for the world's ills. I've seen a lot of them on boards like this one too.

so have i. And the majority are right wing extremists who also hate black people.

duh, right wing extremists are everyone who didn't vote for obama

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

this would be funnier if the punchline was "the other one involved arks"
or "and the other was in latin"
or "the other one involved orcas"
or.... "the other one was about people in misourri speaking latin while being on welfare"... matbe not so much.
anyway i was just about to post that quote.... thanks alot

Last edited:

You'll find it here.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/100-Voices-Oral-History-Rand/dp/0451231309]Amazon.com: 100 Voices: An Oral History of Ayn Rand (9780451231307): Scott McConnell: Books[/ame]

So it's in this book and not in the other book? Make up my mind for me. OH forgot, it's not there either

Germany was a democracy, James Madison form of government he created was a Republic. His iuntent was to created a democracy but with the final vote on the Constitution we ended up with a Constitutiona Republican I suggest you watch a more perfect union.

Germany when? What??!!

Right before the nazis took control of the government.

The Weimar Republic was a democracy based on your narrow use of the term 'democracy'?

Izzat a joke? (that's me doing a German accent lol)

Ok, simple enough, straightforward question:

Since you don't believe there is any such thing as a representative Democracy, since you don't believe that any past or present republics are democracies...

...can you name any nations/societies past or present, that did or do in fact practiced what fits your definition of Democracy?
Germany was a democracy, James Madison form of government he created was a Republic. His iuntent was to created a democracy but with the final vote on the Constitution we ended up with a Constitutiona Republican I suggest you watch a more perfect union.

Germany when? What??!!

Before the Reichstag fire which engulfed the German parliament building just before the election. It guaranteed Hitler would be made Chancellor, and he thereafter immediately set out to get the Enabling Act passed which allowed him to Nazify the bureaucracy, the judiciary, replace all labor unions with the Nazi-controlled German Labor Front, and ban all political parties except his own.

Now of course, German is a parliamentary republic, based on representative democracy.

Oddly enough, last fall I bought a boxed set (in paperback) of Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead for 1.00 at a book sale. I've found that getting up the gumption to plunge into them is kind of like getting up the gumption to clean the refrigerator.

At least the market appears to have properly valued the books. :lol:

well that makes you atypical when you get down to it maggie. I've met more than a few liberals who hate the western (as typified by american, pre-multiculturalism, life) culture, and a few who blame jews for the world's ills. I've seen a lot of them on boards like this one too.

so have i. And the majority are right wing extremists who also hate black people.

duh, right wing extremists are everyone who didn't vote for obama

this would be funnier if the punchline was "the other one involved arks"
or "and the other was in latin"
or "the other one involved orcas"
or.... "the other one was about people in misourri speaking latin while being on welfare"... matbe not so much.
anyway i was just about to post that quote.... thanks alot

Sure. I take it you don't visit many other message boards. The ones here are careful not to lay themselves bare, but it's easy to read between the lines. Now I'll be accused of "race baiting." Watch for it.

Oddly enough, last fall I bought a boxed set (in paperback) of Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead for 1.00 at a book sale. I've found that getting up the gumption to plunge into them is kind of like getting up the gumption to clean the refrigerator.

Why would you buy them at all?

I tried, I really did, to read One or the Other (all I recall was a rape scene between the frustrated architect and some women vaguely associated with the plot).

I'm certain the movie will be better.

it's a real thick book though man...

So at least it can double as a door stop.

It took that long for the first person to finally finish reading the book.

In what other forum would rebuttals like these hold any water. "It's a long book so it's dumb", "It's not realistic", the lameness goes on and on. I have to hear a single reasoned rebuttal to the concept of objectivism.

So at least it can double as a door stop.

In what other forum would rebuttals like these hold any water. "It's a long book so it's dumb", "It's not realistic", the lameness goes on and on. I have to hear a single reasoned rebuttal to the concept of objectivism.

It's a joke.

I was part of the Objectivist club in University. I still have all my Ayn Rand books.

I hope no one has already mentioned this quote:

James Taggart and Westley Mouch aren't Orcs. Just trolls.

It's a joke.

I was part of the Objectivist club in University. I still have all my Ayn Rand books.

I kind of figured that coming from you. It's just annoying seeing such juvenile posts from those that actually do mean it.

I tried, I really did, to read One or the Other (all I recall was a rape scene between the frustrated architect and some women vaguely associated with the plot).

I'm certain the movie will be better.

Yeah, apparently Rand's 'hero' was a rapist and a terrorist.

Hence the conservative adoration, I guess.

I was an astonishingly voracious reader in my youth. I have this recurring illusion that that appetite will magically return one day.

No doubt Das Kapital was a damn fine read though...

Capital - Vol. 1 was a bit dry, but worth reading. Those who disparage Marx without knowledge are little different than the cretins here who attack Rand, when they clearly never read a word she wrote.

Economic Manuscripts: Capital: Volume One

Vol. 2 is just a mess, Marx was clearly in his twilight by then and Engles really couldn't pinch hit for him.

Forum List

Back